Looking For A "Plays Anything" DVD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for one of those DVD players that no matter what you put in it, everything plays. Sometimes, when I burn a DVD (on a DVD-R), I get an error message stating that the DVD is not in the proper format (despite the fact that it works in my computer). I know that people have experienced DVD Players that will work where others won't, so I decided to get the opinions of the people who use this forum.
  1. I would like it to be inexpensive (under $100 for sure, but the cheaper the better).
  2. It doesn't have to upscale DVD's (like some standard DVD players can).
  3. I would be willing to consider a Blu-ray player if it...most importantly...played everything (even discs that give error messages in other players) and I would be more flexible on price for Blu-ray.

The only one that I have one opinion on so far, from a friend, is the following:
SuperSonic SC-29D (which can be found under $50) but I would like other opinions on possible brand names like Toshiba, Samsung, Pioneer, etc...

Thank you.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-30-2010, 03:09 AM

I have 2 Philips DVD players, the DVP 5990 and the new DVP 3560. They both are excellent in terms of being able to play whatever you throw at them. They also have a USB port, DivX compatable, decent build quality, and very good pic quality. I have also had the Toshiba xde-500 but had some issues with certain discs, not really sure why, and the build quality was not good. If you research the customer reviews of the DVP-5990 on Amazon you will see how popular these machines are.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 AM

I have a Philips too that will play anything. It's either a 3962 or 3982 I forget which. Whatever you end up finding do a search for it to see what the reviews are like. When I got it I was looking at a couple of them and the Philips is what most people seemed to be most happy with.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-01-2010, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I have a Philips DVP5982 that plays everything I've tried, it also has a pretty easy hack to make it region free which is much needed for my wife's collection of Thai DVDs. It upscales as well, I think I paid about $60 for it a couple of years ago. I bought it specifically for the hack to play DVDs from other regions.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydoggie View Post

I have a Philips too that will play anything. It's either a 3962 or 3982 I forget which. Whatever you end up finding do a search for it to see what the reviews are like. When I got it I was looking at a couple of them and the Philips is what most people seemed to be most happy with.

Hey greydoggie, I just noticed the Philips DVP3980 over at Wal-Mart.com for $38.00 with Free S&H to your home. Do you think that would have the same "plays anything" as you have confirmed with the 3982? I doubt there would be much of a difference between the two (other than maybe a color or something like that, being that they are so similar in numbers), and I am also pretty sure that the Region Code Hack (to make it Region Free) would be easy to find and simple to apply being that it's a Philips.

I am going to look up some more info on the difference between the 3980 & 3982 and unless it's something major, I will probably try the 3980 and test my luck with it.

Thanks again.

post #6 of 15 Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just found out the difference between the Philips 3980 and the 3982. The 3980 won't play Divx, where the 3982 will play Divx. Now, although I am not interested in Divx, I think it might be better to get the 3982 because if it has whatever is required for Divx playback, maybe that will also assist it in playing DVD's that might receive an error message in other players. Also, I can get it for $29.00 at Wal-Mart.com, but it's Factory Refurbished.

I am thinking that a Factory Refurb might even be better than new because it is probably closely inspected by hand to make sure everything is OK with it. I also have a Pioneer 640 DVD Recorder (with a Hard Drive in it) and when the original HDD went bad Pioneer gave me a better deal with a Refurb replacement, and it's been great so far.

Any thoughts on refurbs? Please feel free to discuss.

post #7 of 15 Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 PM

I just looked and mine is actually 3962. It looks like the difference between 3962 and 3982 is 1080i and 1080p. Mine is a refurbished one too and so far Ive had no problems with it. It came in a brown philips box and actually had the instructions for making it region free in the box with it. I only bought it because my other DVD player doesn't like playing burnt DVDs.
I would get one with DivX. Even if you don't need it who knows you might want that feature sometime and then you'll need to get another player again.
I usually prefer new over refurbished especially when it's something I'm going to keep for a while. But if it's an item like the DVD player where it isn't the main one I use or the refurbished one seems better then what you can get new I have no problem going that way.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-07-2010, 04:13 AM

I'm looking for a DVD player that will play anything but doesn't need to cost under $100.00.

I own an AV staging and rental company and home burnt DVD's cause us a lot of stress. We are often handed a "DVD", burnt on a PC a few minutes before the event begins and the client expects it to run perfectly on our DVD players.

Our expensive DVD players usually won't play the disc as most times the content isn't in a DVD format, it just looks like one.

The really cheap players will play anything but we have found them to be unrealiable. The disc will play several times and then freeze. So far the most reliable method has been to play the disc using a laptop.

Can anyone suggest a high quality, reliable player that will play most formats?
post #9 of 15 Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you look at the top of this web page where you can see several links to click on, try out the OPPO link. I know they are Blu-ray players now (which all Blu-ray will also play DVD's) but when OPPO made only DVD Players, many people in here raved as to how they played anything you could possibly put in them, and I doubt the company decided to lose that reputation with their Blu-ray players.

Try this one out:
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

It's the middle priced one in their list of three players, that goes for $499. Their most expensive one (the BDP-83SE) sells for $899, but I don't think it will play regular DVD's any better than the BDP-83, so why spend $400 more when you may not need to.

Also head over to the Blu-ray page on here, and look up the OPPO I gave you the link for, so you can see what others have said about it.

post #10 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 PM

I had exactly the same headache. I could play about 80% of burned DVD's on stand-alone players in the house, Emersons, Sony, etc, but once in a while, I got disc error msg of some kind on all of them, even though they all played perfectly n the computer player. BUT, the only stand-alone player that would play ANYTHING I threw at it, ANYTHING, was a beat-up old Memorex model MVD 2022. I don't know if they even make them any more, but this probably cost me $40 new at Wal Mart 10 years ago and still works. Disks that won't play on a brand new Sony play fine on this hunk of junk. It is not, obviously, Blu-Ray, but it may be what you want for standard def, it looks like any other DVD machine. This help any. (Won't play PAL)
post #11 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM

do you want a new one?the function of DVD player is not only the Dis. As what you said,, the more cheaper the better, i believe the quality willnot be so good under usd100
post #12 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I have problems playing back burned DVDs as well. I recently burned Kodak DVD+R DL. I played it back on various DVD and Blu Ray players with varying results:

Good:
Sony BDP-BX57 (BDP-S570)
Sony BDP-S1000ES
LG BD530
LG LVB418

No Good (pixelation and skipping):
Toshiba XDE600
Philips 5992

I cannot tell where the blame lies. I am not sure if it's the DVD or the burner or the player.

How is Oppo HD981 or Samsung?
post #13 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 314
OPPO has always been rather good with burned media. In their earliest DVD players there was one DVD-R media code that would not play, but later players covered that. From my notes this was "CMC MAG. AM3" as found under the Memorex label (and probably others).

-Bill
post #14 of 15 Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM

About ten years ago I had an elcheapo combination vcr/dvd that would play anything, even mpegs and divx that I burned on my computer. But the piece of crap smeared at the top of the screen on any sudden brightness change and played audio from any dvd left in it while watching a tape. Got junked real quick for a decent dvd player, but I wish the playback capabilities were as good. What I would like is a machine that handles everything and looks good picture wise.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirayge View Post

About ten years ago I had an elcheapo combination vcr/dvd that would play anything, even mpegs and divx that I burned on my computer. But the piece of crap smeared at the top of the screen on any sudden brightness change and played audio from any dvd left in it while watching a tape. Got junked real quick for a decent dvd player, but I wish the playback capabilities were as good. What I would like is a machine that handles everything and looks good picture wise.

Those are pretty common features. "Looks good" is going to be anecdotal these days since no one is publishing online comparisons anymore.

Note that there is a generational break between DVD and Blu-ray players: DVD players usually supported only media files that had standard definition resolution (say 720x480 at 60hz). With Blu-ray players you get high definition video sources: up to 1920x1080.

OPPO has taken up all my time in recent years so I can't comment on other models, but I've played a lot of media files and been happy with the results.

If your interest is more media files and less shiny discs, you might look at media server appliances: http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-amp-content-streamers

-Bill
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page