Pioneer Laserdisc fix help - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 123 Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update on my 704 project, I got my hands on a D503 that worked, and got the power supply out of it. Now I am about to try and install it into my 704, what is the best way to get the tray open and out of the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
remove the audio board, top right and then under the tray at the front right you will be able to feel the pulley that lifts.lowers the mechanism and opens the tray.
post #93 of 123 Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Should I be pushing on the pulley etc...? I can feel where the gears are but I can't seem to feel any give/take in it etc...
post #94 of 123 Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 PM

sorry for the constant updates/questions...by spinning the pulley mechanism, I got the CD tray to eject, but nothing else, is there another catch in there somewhere to manual eject the tray?
post #95 of 123 Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

There is a plastic change piece behind the pulley you can see move move in and out a little, it is also under the tray. You need to turn the pulley to load the tray and lift up the mechanism to play position. Then lightly press in on the change tab while moving the pulley to drop the mechanism and open the tray, you should fell the tab move in during this process and the whole tray come out.
post #96 of 123 Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM

Got it, tray is out. Thanks so much!
post #97 of 123 Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM

The power supply is in and the 704 is as good as new. The optical audio out hissing is gone, and it is currently playing the DTS version of Casper, and shaking the room. Also the color problem is gone, and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the image looks a tad sharper. Thanks for all your help!
post #98 of 123 Old 08-02-2013, 03:42 AM

I'm having an issue with my CLD-97. It had been fritzy for quite some time, i.e., often requiring a few attempts to load a disc before finally playing, but now it is not loading discs at all. The player has not been cleaned in years, and my first thought was to open it from the top and check to see if the laser lens might be gunked up from dust, smoke, and pollution. However, removing the outer cosmetic top and the metal cover underneath that, I encountered yet another layer - circuit boards covering almost the entire top, allowing only limited peeks into the innards.

From what I can see with the top off, as the drawer opens, what appears to be the clamping mechanism lifts. As the drawer closes with a disc, that clamping mechanism drops, and something near the rear slides forward about an inch, making a slight noise, pauses for a couple of seconds, and then moves back to its original position, again making a slight noise (akin to a buzzing). The player display reads "play" during this process, then changes to all zeros for track number and time. After that, the player just sits there, nothing moving, and there is no error message.

I can't even see where the laser is located, so I've no way to see if cleaning it could resolve the issue. Does anyone have any advice as to how to proceed? Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've got many discs not released on DVD in the US, and it's frustrating that this beautiful device isn't working.

Thanks, Mark

"Playing strip poker with an exhibitionist somehow takes the challenge away."

When you're racing...it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
post #99 of 123 Old 08-02-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

The something near the rear is either the pickup or the cable going to it. Sounds like the pickup is working OK but you have issues with the spindle motor. Either the motor or the drive circuit to the motor have issues.
post #100 of 123 Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you, Kurtis. Sounds like the kind of possible issues requiring professional attention...was really hoping it might be a dining-table fix. frown.gif

"Playing strip poker with an exhibitionist somehow takes the challenge away."

When you're racing...it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
post #101 of 123 Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 PM

I have just come back to this forum after a very long hiatus. Moved over 3000 mile since my last visit. I am hoping I to get some help with my Pioneer CLD 3390. It has a few problems, starts up and plays fine until it gets near the end of the side then the picture starts to get some noise. The when the unit switches sides it sounds like some one who is learning to drive a stick shift for the first time, a lot of clattering gear sounds. Took the cover off and I see that the gears aren't meshing right. It will eventually complete the action and switch but it looks like there might be a spring missing on the side of what I would assume is a pickup carriage for lack of a better term. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong and what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance
post #102 of 123 Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

The guide rail probably needs lubrication. See if there is any extra white silicon grease around the guide rail or see if you can get some somewhere like radio shack and put a thin layer on the top and bottom rails.
post #103 of 123 Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Will Teflon lube work? We would want a grease that will not deteriorate the plastic gears right?
post #104 of 123 Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

The white silicon grease is slick, if you put anything on there that causes friction your in trouble.
post #105 of 123 Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kurtis,sent you a PM. Thanks...
post #106 of 123 Old 08-14-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpahawkins View Post

Update on my 704 project, I got my hands on a D503 that worked, and got the power supply out of it. Now I am about to try and install it into my 704, what is the best way to get the tray open and out of the way?

You need to remove the top Audio board to get to the pulley or gears that are under the right side of the tray to turn manually with your finger, one direction will load the tray and raise the mechanics, the other will lower the mechanics and push the tray out.
post #107 of 123 Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 PM

Well I found the solution to one of the problems with my CLD-3390 It seems that the guide rails were misaligned so the transport (if that is the correct term) would bind when it traveled to the back to rotate to play the other side. . The trial and error method worked to get it aligned but this player still having tracking issues. Meanwhile I picked up an Elite CLD-53 about a week ago and it has worked flawlessly with a much better picture than the 3390 but it too has developed a problem. It stopped changing from side A to side B. If I initiate the change by remote or front panel, the display will indicate that it is changing sides one time. The transport moves back then stops and no further action, no noise it just stops. Once that happens,try to initiate the change and no indication from the the display no reaction from the player. If you try to switch sides while it is playing, nothing happens it keeps playing until the end of the side then stops and waits for me to flip the disc. Any Ideas? I would sure like to have the Elite working good as I really like this player.
post #108 of 123 Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

For some reason it is not reading the TOC (Table of Contents) correctly. If it cannot read the TOC it considers the disc to be single sided. Disc could be slipping in the clamp and the TOC could not be read in the specified time allowed.

Try putting the disc in the tray and then press "Side B" to close the tray. See if it goes to side B.

Also; do you have the problem with ALL LD's you own?
post #109 of 123 Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 PM

I think you are on to something. I tried your suggestion Pressing side B to close and start the disc works. So far the only disc that wont play side B from Side A is Apocalypse Now CLV (which was the one I was watching when it started having the problem. I tried a few others by pressing side B and they all started up fine. With the cover off I did notice that the the problem disc seemed to be slipping. I could be imagining this but that disc seems heavier.

Thanks
post #110 of 123 Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 PM

Just saw this thread and hoping to get a response.

I have a CLD-D504 that I purchased on ebay. The Laserdisc player was damaged during shipping and the front panel on the right side by the word Karaoke was damaged and as a result the unit will not power on. Opening the LD player I see that there is a broken circuit board by where the microphone is supposed to plug in. I am not able to tell if anything else is broken as I have not figured out how to manually remove the disc tray. If possible do you know of an easy way to remove the disc tray so I can see if there is any way to obtain a replacement part for the broken circuitry?

Thanks!

post #111 of 123 Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

You have to feel under the front left of the tray and find the wheel and manually turn it. One direction loads the LD and the other opens the tray. There is a 50/50 chance Pioneer still has stock of boards. It is normally cheaper to buy another player than buy parts. If you can solder wires to bridge the break that would be the cheaper way to go.
post #112 of 123 Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately the gear is completely unmovable, it appears something is wedged against it. Also the board is broken in numerous spots now that I've seen it a bit more closely(Broken in about 4 pieces) Once again thank you for your help on this issue.

post #113 of 123 Old 10-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi there. I have a CLD-D505. I don't play it that often anymore, but lately it will eject and close the tray no problem, and know when there's no disc inserted. If I put in a CD or LD, it will sit there with the motor humming for a while and then eject, saying U1 (or is it UI?) on the display. Last night I really wanted to watch Star Wars from my Definitive Collection box, so I sat there closing the tray each time it ejected. After six or seven times, it would actually close properly and play the LD. No problem at all flipping sides. But then I went through the same thing with discs 2 and 3. Anyone know if I can fix this?

Thanks!
post #114 of 123 Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

With the tray all the way out you should see a belt under the left side of the tray. You need to remove and clean or remove and replace the belt. Generic belt part number is SCQ4.0
post #115 of 123 Old 10-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Thanks, Kurtis. I guess it's the loading belt since if I pull up the assembly more than it will go, the disc will spin up? Is this the belt, on the right side of the photo? If so, how can I access it?

Thanks again.

post #116 of 123 Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM

The question is moot. Thanks so much, Kurtis. I figured out how to get the tray all the way out and cleaned the belt and now it's working again! Such a nice and simple fix. If it starts again, I'll just replace the belt, but it looked quite new.
post #117 of 123 Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 AM

Liked: 11
Hi

My laserdisc player (PIONEER HLD-X0) is making a strange thing. When i make foward it goes foward for 2 to 3 minutes, then stops, the picture stays like it was on "pause mode" and i keep hearing a noise like something was trying to fix but it can't.
Sometimes when that happens the disc comes back in time like 10 minutes or more, it's like the laser is out of control.

Also when i search for chapters i must only click 2 or 3 times at most so it won't stop, otherwise it stops.

Is this anything serious?

But the player is perfect, amazing picture, working good and everything.
post #118 of 123 Old 11-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 12
I have a Pioneer CLD-D406. I bought it new back in the late 90's. It worked very well with nary a problem until one day a few years ago it would not power on. So, I packed it up and stuck it in the attic and brought out my backup player, an RCA LDR 310. Recently, I decided to google the problem with the Pioneer, and came across several posts on several archived message boards in which Kurtis advised that the problem was probably a blown fuse and the arc suppressor.

I have taken off the top, and the fuse does look like it is blown. Can someone tell me exactly what diode is the one I am supposed to clip out? Is it the little striped one next to where the power comes in?

And where does one get new fuses? Are they the sort of thing one finds at Radio Shack or Fry's? Anyone know exactly what fuse I should ask for/

Thanks in advance for any replies. I don't play lasers much anymore, but I don't like having no backup player for when I do (and the Pioneer had AC3 out and a digital optical out, which the RCA lacks).
post #119 of 123 Old 08-21-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post
I just found another Pioneer CLD-D504 on CraigsList. By the time I called the the guy to arrange pick-up, it had died. This is starting to look like a universal end-of-life issue. I just won't buy another 504.

@Gamereviewgod:

The ribbon people mention is a flat, wide cable attached to the optical pickup assembly that rides up and down its little ghetto amusement park ride around the LaserDisc to play side B. It takes a beating because that thing flexes every time the merry ground... goes around and

Also, this process relies on several little motors, gears and belts to make the whole thing happen in the right order. It seems like the most common problems are stretched or rotten belts, tired or burnt out motors and dried lubricant on gear paths and slide rails. A failure of any one of these systems can stop all the others from working.

I am just in it far enough to know I am over my head!
That is what happened to my CLD-D504 as well.
And, now my CLD-59 as well.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #120 of 123 Old 09-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have a Pioneer cld-d604 that when I power on it makes a noise like it is trying to start. I have to pick up and drop slightly to get to start and then when I put a disc in same thing. What could be the problem here?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page