Pioneer Laserdisc fix help - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 204 Old 06-27-2016, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello! This is a great forum. I'm glad I found it.

I have a CLD-D504 that won't play discs. I pulled off the top and took a look. The problem is that the discs won't spin. Everything works except for the spindle. So the motor whines, the laser hopelessly searches, then the disc is spit out: both CD & LD, both side A & B. What I have discovered is that if I manually turn the spindle even a little bit, then click on play, the discs spin properly and the CDs & LDs play. Even the B side switch works. However, if I eject the disc, then click on play again, the motor whines and doesn't spin up. I'm hoping this is an easy fix. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 204 Old 06-27-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreLoser View Post
I have a CLD-D504 that won't play discs. I pulled off the top and took a look. The problem is that the discs won't spin. Everything works except for the spindle. So the motor whines, the laser hopelessly searches, then the disc is spit out: both CD & LD, both side A & B. What I have discovered is that if I manually turn the spindle even a little bit, then click on play, the discs spin properly and the CDs & LDs play. Even the B side switch works. However, if I eject the disc, then click on play again, the motor whines and doesn't spin up. I'm hoping this is an easy fix. What are your thoughts?
My guess is it needs a new spindle motor, which I don't consider an "easy fix". I lot of that era players had bad spindle motors (I had an Elite series that had the motor replaced under warranty).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #183 of 204 Old 06-28-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If it spins up if the disc is turning then it is either the start windings in the motor but also an equal chance it is the power supply. The decision you have to make now is are you attached enough to it to repair it as you can probably buy another cheaper.

post #184 of 204 Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by user109 View Post
I have a Pioneer DVL-919 and have not been play it for sometime. I switched it on this morning and its display has error message " mecha cpu". I searched internet and no clue what is that. anyone has encountered such problem before?
Did you ever get a response to this. I have just turned mine on after approx 18 months and got the same message. I have to unplug it to clear it, but as soon as I turn it on again I get the same Mega CPU message.
post #185 of 204 Old 07-08-2016, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I normally just open the players and manually run them thru an open cycle.
post #186 of 204 Old 02-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi folks. Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong spot....I'm new.

I have a Pioneer DVL-919 that has been skipping in a certain spot. The technician at my local AV repair shop had a look it and they determined that I need a new optical pickup. Unfortunately I can't find one anywhere. Do you guys happen to know where I can find one that's in good working order?

Thanks
Chris
post #187 of 204 Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
919 was still sold until last year or so. Pioneer should still have the assembly but probably is >$100 maybe >$200. I have seen 919's for the same price, maybe you can just find a used one and keep yours for parts. Prices for all LD's have really dived lately.
post #188 of 204 Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusc View Post
919 was still sold until last year or so. Pioneer should still have the assembly but probably is >$100 maybe >$200. I have seen 919's for the same price, maybe you can just find a used one and keep yours for parts. Prices for all LD's have really dived lately.

Thanks for the reply. I checked with Pioneer and they said it wasn't available. I wonder if I asked for it incorrectly. Do you know where 919's were still on sale just a year ago?

Thanks
Chris
post #189 of 204 Old 02-09-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wainsco View Post

I have a Pioneer DVL-919 that has been skipping in a certain spot. The technician at my local AV repair shop had a look it and they determined that I need a new optical pickup. Unfortunately I can't find one anywhere. Do you guys happen to know where I can find one that's in good working order?

Thanks
Chris

Need more information, Skips side B only? Within the first two minutes?
I have not seen a laser being the issue.
post #190 of 204 Old 02-09-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wainsco View Post

Thanks
Chris
I have had a DVL-919 for many years - and a DVL-909 - both still operating just fine.
I don't believe the DVL-919 has been available new from Pioneer or any dealer for a fair number of years, although I do come across a used one on Ebay occasionally.
A couple of questions:
is your skipping problem with laser discs or dvds or both?
does it skip on all discs in the same spot?
if the issue is with laser discs - are you also getting colorful spots on the display generally at the beginning of a side? (this generally indicates laser rot on your discs).
what type of media is causing problems matters since this player has a rotating dual laser head system as commented on at www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk:
"Around the back there's a bulge that serves as a housing for the laser mechanism. This jumps to attention as soon as a disc is loaded. Using a complex optical assembly it plays both sides of an LD and has dual lasers with different wavelengths to suit LDs/CDs (780nm) and DVDs (650nm).

One of the things to consider trying is to open up the player and clean the laser lenses (q-tips - gently with denatured alcohol) and check the rails the optical assembly rides on to be sure they are clean with a small coating of lubricating grease on them.

Just a few thoughts & ideas from an old laser disc addict . . .

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #191 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Need help please! My pioneer cld-d701 shuts off after hitting the play button.

Hello all:

My Pioneer CLD-D701 has served me well over 20 years when I wanted to see something in my collection that I don't have on Blu-ray.

I wanted to watch a laser disc the other evening after a long time of not using the unit.

1- The power went on.
2- The disc tray opened
3- I took in the laser disc.
4- Hit the play button
5- Unit shut off immediately

Can't determine if its a mechanical problem or a electronic problem.

No error is indicated on the player. Tried to play side A & B still no disc spinning just powers down.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

I realize most parts are no longer available but looking for any suggestions for possible repair.

Thank you all in the community for your help.

Ed
post #192 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed meyer View Post

No error is indicated on the player. Tried to play side A & B still no disc spinning just powers down.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

I realize most parts are no longer available but looking for any suggestions for possible repair.

Thank you all in the community for your help.

Ed
Will it play a CD? It's possible it just can't "grip" the extra weight of an LD, which means a cleaning may help. No error code makes it tough though.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #193 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Will it play a CD? It's possible it just can't "grip" the extra weight of an LD, which means a cleaning may help. No error code makes it tough though.
Thank you so much for your reply Stanton.

Funny you asked about a CD playing. Yesterday evening after I attempted the Laser disc not playing when I hit the start button and the power shutting down I decided to try a CD. The same thing occurred, but when I went to eject the CD I heard a dislodging of the Cd and it was not in the tray.

Currently, I have the player apart took the CD out that dropped down into the unit.

I appreciate your help as well as others who might answer.

Thanks again Stanton.

Ed
post #194 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply Stanton.

Funny you asked about a CD playing. Yesterday evening after I attempted the Laser disc not playing when I hit the start button and the power shutting down I decided to try a CD. The same thing occurred, but when I went to eject the CD I heard a dislodging of the Cd and it was not in the tray.

Currently, I have the player apart took the CD out that dropped down into the unit.

I appreciate your help as well as others who might answer.

Thanks again Stanton.

Ed
If the CD was in the unit then the bottom side of the clamping piece needs to be cleaned. The CD most likely stuck to something and stay on the top clamp instead of dropping down with the tray. As for the power off issue, it is probably a capacitor somewhere. I'd say the unit could not supply the power required to rotate the spindle motor. The voltage dropped low and it powered down. It could come back to life after a few power cycles or you may need to replace the capacitors in the power supply and see if that helps.
post #195 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
If the CD was in the unit then the bottom side of the clamping piece needs to be cleaned. The CD most likely stuck to something and stay on the top clamp instead of dropping down with the tray. As for the power off issue, it is probably a capacitor somewhere. I'd say the unit could not supply the power required to rotate the spindle motor. The voltage dropped low and it powered down. It could come back to life after a few power cycles or you may need to replace the capacitors in the power supply and see if that helps.
Thank you so much Stanton:

I will try cleaning the clamping piece. Unfortunately i'm not as skilled as you knowing where to check the capacitors but if you have any information of their location It will be appreciated. I presume a part like this should be available if I brought this to a electronics repair facility. Do you recommend leaving the unit on for a few hours or hit the power button on and off to power cycle the unit? Thanks again for your help. ED
post #196 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much Kurtis: I made a mistake who I was replying to. My apologies. Ed

I will try cleaning the clamping piece. Unfortunately i'm not as skilled as you knowing where to check the capacitors but if you have any information of their location It will be appreciated. I presume a part like this should be available if I brought this to a electronics repair facility. Do you recommend leaving the unit on for a few hours or hit the power button on and off to power cycle the unit? Thanks again for your help. ED
post #197 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thank you so much Kurtis: I made a mistake who I was replying to. My apologies. Ed

The power cycling is a long shot but you can try. I'd turn it on leave it on a while and then off, then repeat. If the caps are bad then they won't come back.

I was hoping there would be a manual on lddb.com but not for that unit. You really need a schematic and try to determine where the current draw is coming from.
post #198 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Thanks again Curtis:

I will try what recommend doing.
If I'm not mistaken when I bought the unit it included a schematic with the instructions. I need to look for it.

Thanks for keeping in touch regarding this.

It is truly appreciated. You are a great help to this web site. Ed
post #199 of 204 Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 PM

Curtis:

SUCCESS!!!!!! I left the unit on for a while powering it on an off .

Then I used some rubbing alcohol to clean the clamping devise and I put a laser disc in and it started immediately.

Yesterday evening I tried leaving the power on but I did not clean the clamping devise and the unit would power off.

I tried the CD again this time it spun but when I rejected it the clamping devise did not release the CD. It kept it attached to the clamping devise.

I do not use this for CD but if you have any further recommendations please advise.

THANK YOU THANK YOU CURTIS!!!
post #200 of 204 Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Curtis:

SUCCESS!!!!!! I left the unit on for a while powering it on an off .

Then I used some rubbing alcohol to clean the clamping devise and I put a laser disc in and it started immediately.

Yesterday evening I tried leaving the power on but I did not clean the clamping devise and the unit would power off.

I tried the CD again this time it spun but when I rejected it the clamping devise did not release the CD. It kept it attached to the clamping devise.

I do not use this for CD but if you have any further recommendations please advise.

THANK YOU THANK YOU CURTIS!!!
Sometimes the hole in the center of the CD is not a complete clean cut and can be slightly too tight for the CD centering extension. Try a different CD or try using something to run around the CD hole and try it again.
post #201 of 204 Old 06-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up My CLD-D701 is up and running thanks to Kurtis Bahar

Quote:
Sometimes the hole in the center of the CD is not a complete clean cut and can be slightly too tight for the CD centering extension. Try a different CD or try using something to run around the CD hole and try it again.
Thanks much Kurtis:

Yesterday I observed the CD upon ejecting and noticed it stuck to a top "white plastic" rail opposite the clamping device. I cleaned that off also and that corrected the problem and the CD dropped to be rejected in the feeding tray. Everything working perfectly and showed two movies on it yesterday.

You are greatly thanked for your help and hope your post helps others.

Ed
post #202 of 204 Old 06-24-2017, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've picked up a Pioneer CLD-2730k (aka CLD-v850 I believe). Had trouble with the tray accepting a disc, sorted that out with the new belt. Now it has an intermittent fault (more fault than working) of not spinning the disc. The motor is spinning but the disc isn't... I found gently loosening the screws on the upper bracket for the clamp allowed it to work 19/20 times. Any idea what the proper fix is?

LG OLED55C6T, Yamaha RX-A2050, Q Acoustics 3010, 3050, 3090 speakers and 3070 sub, Yamaha YST-SW030 rear sub, Sony BDP-S6500, LG UP970, Fetch TV Mighty, IQ2HD, Apple TV Series 4, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, eeColor LUT+Lightspace HTL+i1Display Pro and DreamScreen, housed in a Dataworld 42U rack & AC Infinity S9
post #203 of 204 Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
I've picked up a Pioneer CLD-2730k (aka CLD-v850 I believe). Had trouble with the tray accepting a disc, sorted that out with the new belt. Now it has an intermittent fault (more fault than working) of not spinning the disc. The motor is spinning but the disc isn't... I found gently loosening the screws on the upper bracket for the clamp allowed it to work 19/20 times. Any idea what the proper fix is?
Check and see if anything is bent down and the top clamp piece is touching the top support and the disc cannot spin, or the loading mechanism mounts are broke and it dropped which would cause the top clamp piece to be tight against the top support.
vollans likes this.
post #204 of 204 Old 06-24-2017, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ok, seems to be sorted. Took the top bracket off, cleaned everything, put it all together again, and now it's working.

LG OLED55C6T, Yamaha RX-A2050, Q Acoustics 3010, 3050, 3090 speakers and 3070 sub, Yamaha YST-SW030 rear sub, Sony BDP-S6500, LG UP970, Fetch TV Mighty, IQ2HD, Apple TV Series 4, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, eeColor LUT+Lightspace HTL+i1Display Pro and DreamScreen, housed in a Dataworld 42U rack & AC Infinity S9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page