Pioneer LD-S2... Opinions... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For long some people seemed to forget one of the world best players, the Pioneer LD-S2...
For a while collector's only were looking for HLD X9 and X0...
Those are fantastic players, but what about this $3500 USD BEAST!

Anyone is still using one of these fantastic and gorgeous players?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser_man View Post

For long some people seemed to forget one of the world best players, the Pioneer LD-S2...
For a while collector's only were looking for HLD X9 and X0...
Those are fantastic players, but what about this $3500 USD BEAST!

I am, and I LOVE it.

I have owned a small variety of players -- LDV-4200, CLD-1010, CLD-3070, Elite CLD-79, and the LD-S2 -- and the LD-S2 is hands down the finest of the bunch in terms of PQ. It also plays rotted discs pretty well and is very quiet during operation. The only player I would trade it in for is the HLD-X0, which rumor has it contains the same transport as the LD-S2 (LD-X1 in Japan).

I had Kurtis modify it for AC-3 output. After a couple of shipments back and forth between him and I, it plays DD5.1 beautifully.

What else do you want to know?

TLK
post #3 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have the player that sold me on LD, the first LDP
i had ever seen, ten years ago on EBAY;

PIONEER CLD-3030 (1987/1989)

though i'm considering upgrading to an LD-S1 someday;

i really am actually quite satisfied with my 3030.

though the LD-S2 truly is a hell of a looker,
and just about the finest crafted LDP ever designed;

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

post #4 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 PM
EJ
AVS Forum Special Member

I had a chance to buy a CLD-hf9g, the import version of the 99, but I just can't justify sinking more cash when I have a small collection to start with.

(bad pic with the top off.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hey that's a nice piece also...
But i prefer the LD-S2, in my opinion it's not comparable.
The only thing the X0 has more than the LD-S2 is the D-EXT fuction, because generally there is a problem with the black bars (top/below) on the screen in Widescreen movies, that generally are "grey", and with that fuction on the X0 they become black...
But then the picture is more dark...you must then calibrate the plasma picture to avoid "blacker" than "black" if i make myself clear.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had many players. Currently I have a cld-99 and LDS2 among some lesser players too. Sure I want a X0 and a 97. LDS2 has a old comb filter but probably the best transport pickup like the X0. Years ago when laserdisc was still quite common for the high end home theater (99-01) I heard someone at MSB was able to modify the LDS2 and tap the video signal before the A/D converter and combfilter and output true unmolested pure composite signal was the best achievable from any known player after the mod. Anyone have any further info on this? X0 is just to expensive and I don't need muse playback.

Also I have a LDS1, compared to modern players its performance is not good. very soft. It is a nicely built piece and I like it but a 1996 pioneer s201 which I believe was the cheapest player ever made with a MSRP of $299 is much better for video and sound compared to the LDS1.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusc View Post

Also I have a LDS1, compared to modern players its performance is not good. very soft. It is a nicely built piece and I like it but a 1996 pioneer s201 which I believe was the cheapest player ever made with a MSRP of $299 is much better for video and sound compared to the LDS1.

if you ever wish to part with that LD-S1, please drop me a line...

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

post #8 of 23 Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
On the LD-S2 if you use the BNC composite or the corresponding S-Video output you get a cleaner picture as it bypasses the On-Screen display IC. You can go to any player and get the Composite output before the A/D process if you know what you are doing. It is just a player like the S2 is a smarter choice to do this as it has lower noise without needing DNR and stabler time wise due to the build.

The LD-S2 does have a sharper picture than the LD-S1, I'd take the S2 over the S1 anyday. The sharper picture occurred between the CLD-3030 and CLD-3070 or the S1 and S2.

I still say for US models the S2 is the best single sided and 97 is the best dual sided player for me. I prefer the analog look. If you like the digital DNR look then the CLD-D704 is the best bang for the buck.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 AM

Kurtis,
thanks for the info.

I have full service manual for the LDS2. My concern is my lack of knowledge in electronics to do this mod. I know you can't just tape the composite signal anywhere as it has to have proper sync pulses and TBC. Is this done before the A/D ? How hard would this mod be? I was told long ago that the LDS2 the best pickup assembly and would offer the most pure analog composite signal if you bypass some of the A/D and digital circuits.

FYI, I am in Manassas VA.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

That's right, one of the best and more expensive pickup's...
But even more expensive is for the Pioneer HLD X0, that used to cost $700 USD when Pioneer had them...
post #11 of 23 Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

You would take it right before the A/D but you have to buffer it, and drive it with the proper voltage levels.

Just go buy something like a CLD-S104, 201 or a like entry level unit. Many people buy these as there is no digital processing in these, they have a pure analog output.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-28-2011, 10:20 AM

I would like to digitize some of my LDs. I have LD-S2. Running Composite directly to the capture card produced pretty bad results. Dot crawls and such and noise. I tried S-Video output and it turned out to be much better. However, LD-S2 doesn't have good comb filter, does it? I haven't tried BNC composite yet. The LD-S2 has BNC out. However, none of my input devices have BNC input. They only have RF, composite and S-Video. How would you recommend I run BNC to my capture device? Should I purchase BNC to composite adapter or BNC to RF adapter? Or perhaps BNC->SVideo male-to-male? Probably not a good idea. Please advise. Thanks.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post

I would like to digitize some of my LDs. I have LD-S2. Running Composite directly to the capture card produced pretty bad results. Dot crawls and such and noise. I tried S-Video output and it turned out to be much better. However, LD-S2 doesn't have good comb filter, does it? I haven't tried BNC composite yet. The LD-S2 has BNC out. However, none of my input devices have BNC input. They only have RF, composite and S-Video. How would you recommend I run BNC to my capture device? Should I purchase BNC to composite adapter or BNC to RF adapter? Or perhaps BNC->SVideo male-to-male? Probably not a good idea. Please advise. Thanks.

I have an LD-S2 and I use a RCA/Curtis DRC8335 VHS/DVD Recorder as my external comb filter:

http://mail.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...6#post19271936

So, my setup is:

BNC-to-composite adapter --> RCA/Curtis DRC8335 VHS/DVD Recorder --> s-video out --> Dazzle Hollywood Bridge --> iMovie

I'm quite happy with the results!

TLK
post #14 of 23 Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM

I had no idea about BNC. I made 4 test captures using different setup.

LD->Composite->Capture Card

LD->Composite->Elite Pioneer receiver VSX-74TXVi->S-Video->Capture Card

LD->Composite->JVC HR-S5700 S-VHS multisystem VCR->S-Video->Capture Card

LD->S-Video #1->Capture card

It turned out that out of 4 captures the direct S-Video #1 was the best. I will provide snapshots later if anyone is interested. My capture card is LifeView's FlyVideo 3000 with the philips saa7134 based chip.

--Leonid
post #15 of 23 Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

You would take it right before the A/D but you have to buffer it, and drive it with the proper voltage levels.

Just go buy something like a CLD-S104, 201 or a like entry level unit. Many people buy these as there is no digital processing in these, they have a pure analog output.

If you tap the composite signal before the A/D in a TBC equipped unit, then how is time base correction done? You will have highly unstable (unusable) color, if any.

The place to tap is after the D/A but before the Y/C seperator and/or the character inserter.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post

The LD-S2 has BNC out. However, none of my input devices have BNC input. They only have RF, composite and S-Video. How would you recommend I run BNC to my capture device? Should I purchase BNC to composite adapter or BNC to RF adapter? Or perhaps BNC->SVideo male-to-male? Probably not a good idea. Please advise. Thanks.

The BNC connector is composite video. All you need is a simple BNC to RCA adaptor. I think Radio Shack has them.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 AM

The BNC out is the same as the composite RCA but the BNC does not put the OSD over the video on the LD-S2. Since the raw analog composite stream is digitized and processed the OSD is also added their aswell so it does not effect the picture unless you are recording off the laserdisc and do not want the OSD. I would never use adapters. A BNC to RCA adapter will add cable reflections and change the impedance of the cable. You would be better off making your own cable or getting a good RCA cable and cutting one end to fit a BNC crimp on.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would never use adapters. A BNC to RCA adapter will add cable reflections and change the impedance of the cable. You would be better off making your own cable or getting a good RCA cable and cutting one end to fit a BNC crimp on.

The highest video frequency from a laser disk is around 4mhz at -3db no less. But just to be safe, let's double that - 8mhz.

Now how does an impedance mismatch of approx one physical inch cause a SWR reflection at 8mhz?

Can't happen based on known physics.

Outside of the inferior mechanical characteristics of an RCA connector, there is no electrical penalty to using an adapter in this application.

P.S. I am the person who extracted composite digital out from the TBC on a CLD95. I re-format the stream to make it broadcast standard and feed it digitally into a broadcast grade decoder. The benefit here is one and only one A/D conversion. As I noted above, you can't use the pre-TBC video unless you have an outboard TBC with a full frame correction window. The other problem is no consumer TBC is designed to handle this type of signal where the subcarrier is locked to the luminance but unstable. Consumer TBCs expect unphased color that comes out of VHS decks.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

The highest video frequency from a laser disk is around 4mhz at -3db no less. But just to be safe, let's double that - 8mhz.

Now how does an impedance mismatch of approx one physical inch cause a SWR reflection at 8mhz?

Can't happen based on known physics.

Outside of the inferior mechanical characteristics of an RCA connector, there is no electrical penalty to using an adapter in this application.

P.S. I am the person who extracted composite digital out from the TBC on a CLD95. I re-format the stream to make it broadcast standard and feed it digitally into a broadcast grade decoder. The benefit here is one and only one A/D conversion. As I noted above, you can't use the pre-TBC video unless you have an outboard TBC with a full frame correction window. The other problem is no consumer TBC is designed to handle this type of signal where the subcarrier is locked to the luminance but unstable. Consumer TBCs expect unphased color that comes out of VHS decks.

Woot! Music to my ears!

TLK
post #20 of 23 Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

The BNC out is the same as the composite RCA but the BNC does not put the OSD over the video on the LD-S2. Since the raw analog composite stream is digitized and processed the OSD is also added their aswell so it does not effect the picture unless you are recording off the laserdisc and do not want the OSD.

The OSD is actually added after the signal is back in the analog domain. Adds the messages just like a VCR. The analog signal actually splits with one leg going to the OSD and the other directed toward the output buffering.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Liked: 0
I want to transfer a PrecisionLaserdisc AC3 chip I installed on a Pioneer CLD-1070 to a Pioneer LD-S2. Can anyone help me locate the AFM pickup point. I have a service manual so a board and transistor number would help, for example. I believe I can locate mute, +5, -5, etc. Thanks.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser_man View Post
For long some people seemed to forget one of the world best players, the Pioneer LD-S2...<br>
For a while collector's only were looking for HLD X9 and X0...<br>
Those are fantastic players, but what about this $3500 USD BEAST!<br><br>
I do have one but it does not seem to play the disc does anyone have any suggestion
post #23 of 23 Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Louviere View Post
I do have one but it does not seem to play the disc does anyone have any suggestion
There are handful of reasons why a unit stops playing discs, no simple answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page