Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 936 Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well,

I have the dvl-919, not sure, but there was a player before that which took me into laserdisc. I believe it was a cld-1650 or something.

The 919 was my second unit, after heavy modding and adjustment it produced a very good picture (I put a lot of extra weight in the player so it's way more stable)

After some time I combined it with the vsx-918 with AC3RF input and the separate stereo amp (for the vsx-919)

Had a cld-515 for the bedroom and used a cld-925 for my HT.

Then I ended up with a CLD-R7G (great player!) and I have a HLD-X9 in the living, in my HT and one spare.. On the big screen a X9 is really great, combined with the Crystalio II or the VP50 (i have both) on the marquee 9500 it's really impressive. Not that much resolution, but an easy guarantee for a night of enjoyment..

Did I mention, the Muse, that's nice also. I have a few titles which are a very nice enjoyment, like dances with wolves and Universal soldier (I know )

I love the hobby which got me into LD, not sure if my 200 discs justify the collection of players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Even though i have had the equipment for a while, a Lexicon LDD-1, Kenwood DEM-999 and a couple of CLD-D704's, i hooked them up and watched a AC-3 soundtrack of 'Die Hard With A Vengence' and it sounded great on my system...too bad that i'm soon getting out of LD and downsizing to blu ray....

I have an LDD-1 and a CLD-79 tied into my SC-27 but I can't get an AC-3 signal. The LDD-1 is supposed to lock into the the signal but can't get it to work for some reason. I have the owners manual for the LDD-1 and installed per instructions.

Any ideas on why i can't get the AC-3 signal?

Thanks in advance.
post #453 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencan View Post

I have an LDD-1 and a CLD-79 tied into my SC-27 but I can't get an AC-3 signal. The LDD-1 is supposed to lock into the the signal but can't get it to work for some reason. I have the owners manual for the LDD-1 and installed per instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have your CLD-79 and LDD-1 set up like this?

TLK
post #454 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
L Z:
WHY so many connections? I don't understand this Lexicon. I connected the LD player AC-3 out to the Yamaha OB DEM AC-3 coax IN. Then either the Yamaha optical or coax(my preference) OUT to the AVR DIG Coax Audio IN(properly assigned)>VOILA AC-3 signal in business!

Two connections/two cables:
OUT to IN>IT>Simple

Home Theater Aficionado
post #455 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 01:58 PM

I'll give that a try when i get home this evening.

Thanks,
post #456 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

L Z:
WHY so many connections? I don't understand this Lexicon. I connected the LD player AC-3 out to the Yamaha OB DEM coax IN. Then either the Yamaha optical or coax(my preference) OUT to the AVR DIG Coax Audio IN(properly assigned)>VOILA AC-3 signal in business!

Two connections/two cables:
OUT to IN>IT>Simple

If his receiver only has one digital audio input, the LDD-1 acts as a switcher between AC-3 and digital audio as a pass-through. This allows him to have more than one device hooked up to the digital audio inputs of his receiver.

Actually, disregard the light blue connection. Use that digital coaxial input from a DVD/BD player, instead, or nothing at all.

TLK
post #457 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Even though i have had the equipment for a while, a Lexicon LDD-1, Kenwood DEM-999 and a couple of CLD-D704's, i hooked them up and watched a AC-3 soundtrack of 'Die Hard With A Vengence' and it sounded great on my system...too bad that i'm soon getting out of LD and downsizing to blu ray....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

If his receiver only has one digital audio input, the LDD-1 acts as a switcher between AC-3 and digital audio as a pass-through. This allows him to have more than one device hooked up to the digital audio inputs of his receiver.

Actually, disregard the light blue connection. Use that digital coaxial input from a DVD/BD player, instead, or nothing at all.

TLK

if it doesn't work then it would seem that my LDD-1 is defectiver right?
post #458 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:

if it doesn't work then it would seem that my LDD-1 is defectiver right?

Either that or your AC-3 RF output on your CLD-79 is defective.

TLK
post #459 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Either that or your AC-3 RF output on your CLD-79 is defective.

TLK

Take an ohm meter and measure the CLD-79 output. you need to measure the center pin to the ground. It should read around 4.0VDC when a LD is playing and near 0.2VDC when paused or not playing. Also the Lexicon has some selections on the front. One of them is a bias to match the LD player differences. I found it didn't make a difference with my AC-3 addition to my CLD-97 but you never know.
post #460 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you have an oscilloscope you will be able to see a 300 to 500mV RF signal that rides on the 79 output DC level.
post #461 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My question about the designation of the surround format called 'Dolby Surround' on the disc sleeve was prompted also by my inability to get my Lexicon to pick up the RF signal...Solution?....double check the title i was playing to make sure it says on the disc 'Dolby Surround AC3'.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

post #462 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:

My question about the designation of the surround format called 'Dolby Surround' on the disc sleeve was prompted also by my inability to get my Lexicon to pick up the RF signal...Solution?....double check the title i was playing to make sure it says on the disc 'Dolby Surround AC3'.

Most AC-3 titles that I own state that the audio is encoded as "Dolby Digital."

TLK
post #463 of 936 Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yep, That too!!!

Quote:

TLK

post #464 of 936 Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:

TLK

The AC-3 LD's were manufactured between 1995-1997(early). Dolby Laboratories then decided to label the AC-3 titles DD to avoid confusion which coincided with the DVD introduction.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #465 of 936 Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

Take an ohm meter and measure the CLD-79 output. you need to measure the center pin to the ground. It should read around 4.0VDC when a LD is playing and near 0.2VDC when paused or not playing. Also the Lexicon has some selections on the front. One of them is a bias to match the LD player differences. I found it didn't make a difference with my AC-3 addition to my CLD-97 but you never know.

I wired it in last night and it did not work. I followed TLK's diagram and the LDD-1 did not lock on to the AC-3 signal. I only have one AC-3 disk (Top Gun) but do plan on purchasing more in the future along with DTS encoded disk.

I'll check ohms tonight.

I realize it's obsolete technology and my wife thinks I'm nuts but "oh well"!

Thanks again everyone.
post #466 of 936 Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I wired it in last night and it did not work. I followed TLK's diagram and the LDD-1 did not lock on to the AC-3 signal. I only have one AC-3 disk (Top Gun) but do plan on purchasing more in the future along with DTS encoded disk.

I'll check ohms tonight.

I realize it's obsolete technology and my wife thinks I'm nuts but "oh well"!

Thanks again everyone.

I assume that your Top Gun LD is this one?:

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/21964/...Top-Gun-(1986)

If so, then it's either a problem with your player or demodulator, more than likely.

TLK
post #467 of 936 Old 01-03-2012, 01:58 AM

Finally Aliens Box Set is becoming more valuable...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIENS-Laser...item2567b3bff4

It's an awsome box set, and i was always wondering how value it would become.
I am glad a have a Sealed, Mint copy.
post #468 of 936 Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

You have to be careful with this title, as it has a high risk for laser rot. I've owned it since it's release, and mine has rotted.

Laserdisc Database has multiple copies for sale ranging from $3 to $98. I don't mean to burst any bubbles, and I'll gladly eat those words if he gets anything close to asking price.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00876/...-Edition-(1986)

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #469 of 936 Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Finally Aliens Box Set is becoming more valuable...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIENS-Laser...item2567b3bff4

It's an awsome box set, and i was always wondering how value it would become.
I am glad a have a Sealed, Mint copy.

Just because somebody throws something up with an outlandish BIN, doesn't mean it will sell at that price. Someone keeps putting up a CLD-D704 that doesn't work asking $130 or so for it, with no takers for about the fifth time. No surprise there.

As the previous post says, I'll eat my words too if it sells...
post #470 of 936 Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 AM

You got your point.
I was only glad, because i always looked at it as a great title.
I've never seen mine actaully. I've opened Alien (same Edition) and doesn't has any rot (saw it twice), but Aliens i don't know...

I will check one of these days..
post #471 of 936 Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

You got your point.
I was only glad, because i always looked at it as a great title.
I've never seen mine actaully. I've opened Alien (same Edition) and doesn't has any rot (saw it twice), but Aliens i don't know...

I will check one of these days..

As mentioned, Aliens is a notorious rotter. Back in the day, I had to swap out discs from multiple copies until I could compile one complete working set. Fortunately, there was a local LD store at the time with a good return policy that let me do this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #472 of 936 Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

As mentioned, Aliens is a notorious rotter.

Has anyone collected data about conditions that foster laser rot or tried reversing or preventing it through any particular means? I am guessing the rot comes from actual oxidation on the aluminum, versus air pockets between the disc layers.

Has anyone ever tried heating and repressing a disc? or storing them in a low-oxygen environment?

I bought a collection of discs a couple years back that included several severely rotted titles that were so bad they had gold sparkles in the substrate. Looked like they should have glowed in the dark. Julien Wilk of the LDDB said they were the worst he had ever seen.

In each case, the rice paper sleeve was ether stuck to the disc or so dessicated that it crumbled like Egyptian mummy bandages on contact... but only on the side that was rotten! Strangely, in almost every case, there was no sign of rot on the flip side of those crazy disks!
LL
post #473 of 936 Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post

Strangely, in almost every case, there was no sign of rot on the flip side of those crazy disks!

...and it was mostly on blank side 4! Has anybody else come across these... ahem... super collectible rare "sparkletone" discs??
post #474 of 936 Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Laserdisc rot occurs when the glue holding the 2 sides together breaks down allowing air to oxidize the material between the 2 pieces of plastic.

post #475 of 936 Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Well, I think I'm about to call my laserdisc collection complete. I've got many films to watch and demonstrate, and it's too the point where they're getting too pricey. I was looking at an ebay copy of Crimson Tide that seemed like a good deal, but I found a blu ray on Amazon for about $5 less.

I know it's apples and oranges, but laserdisc just can't be expected to compete with a 1080p apple!

post #476 of 936 Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Well, I think I'm about to call my laserdisc collection complete. I've got many films to watch and demonstrate, and it's too the point where they're getting too pricey. I was looking at an ebay copy of Crimson Tide that seemed like a good deal, but I found a blu ray on Amazon for about $5 less.

I know it's apples and oranges, but laserdisc just can't be expected to compete with a 1080p apple!

Even standard DVD! If the movie was re-transferred in component video to DVD, it will surpass any Laserdisk. Now some don't like the particular edited version released on DVD versus LD, but that's another story. However some low market films may just be encoded to DVD using the old 1inch NTSC master rather the go through an expensive film re-transfer. In this case the LD is most likely better.

The only thing really valuable on LD, IMO, is live events like concerts from the 1980s and early 90s. These are forever locked into NTSC video and an LD is about the best you can get. Most DVD transfers of these are not very good.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #477 of 936 Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

If everything is the same, I'll always opt for Blu-ray over LD or DVD. I only buy LDs that have features/content that doesn't exist on either of the two newer formats.

TLK
post #478 of 936 Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM

Crimson Tide DTS LD anyone?

Home Theater Aficionado
post #479 of 936 Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Crimson Tide DTS LD anyone?

I got it!

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #480 of 936 Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I have "squeeze laserdisc" as a search string on ebay, hoping to catch any anamorphic discs that might pop up. This was today's listening.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/City-Squeeze...item35b8960fb2

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page