2Likes

post #511 of 948 Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI800XLfan View Post

Not sure where to put this so I apalogize if this is the wrong spot, but now I am thinking after fixing the D702(or before) about a sound system. I have a room that is about 12 feet wide but long enough for a buffet and a medium side table. I am currently using a 32inch Sony Trinitron Flat tube tv from 2004 that has a simulated surround sound option. I was wondering would I really need a large system for the size of room. What do you guys think of the Onkyo GXW-5.1. What I am trying to figure out is if it will have enough power to make that much of a difference. My TV has 15 watt speakers( I think they run along vertical on both sides of the TV for the full length) Is it worth getting a surround sound system even if it is small or just stick with my tv speakers. Would prefer not to spend to much as this will just be a basic system until I get my own house.

The difference between TV speakers and even a low-end external set-up is HUGE. TV speakers are pretty much as LQ as you can get. You could probably get an old pre-HDMI receiver pretty cheap. Also, a lot of older receivers featured multi-channel analog inputs, so you can still get lossless surround sound from Blu-ray, even without HDMI.

Also, is this the Onkyo GX-5.1 you're talking about? I don't use Onkyo for many things and those speakers look rather small, but I am 100% positive it will beat any set of TV speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 948 Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiaru View Post

The difference between TV speakers and even a low-end external set-up is HUGE. TV speakers are pretty much as LQ as you can get. You could probably get an old pre-HDMI receiver pretty cheap. Also, a lot of older receivers featured multi-channel analog inputs, so you can still get lossless surround sound from Blu-ray, even without HDMI.

Also, is this the Onkyo GX-5.1 you're talking about? I don't use Onkyo for many things and those speakers look rather small, but I am 100% positive it will beat any set of TV speakers.

Yes that is the one.
post #513 of 948 Old 01-29-2012, 04:37 PM

Just wondering but what is the best disc to use to calibrate a tv for LaserDisc? right now I am looking at a video essentials.
post #514 of 948 Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Just wondering but what is the best disc to use to calibrate a tv for LaserDisc? right now I am looking at a video essentials.

Video Essentials is the best and pretty much the standard. There's also A Video Standard, but you're not likely to get that.
Also, don't worry if the disc doesn't come with the booklet or blue filter. The calibration patterns are pretty straightforward, you're narrated through it and you can just use the blue filter from your Blu-ray or DVD calibration disc(s)
post #515 of 948 Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Video Essentials is the best and pretty much the standard. There's also A Video Standard, but you're not likely to get that.
Also, don't worry if the disc doesn't come with the booklet or blue filter. The calibration patterns are pretty straightforward, you're narrated through it and you can just use the blue filter from your Blu-ray or DVD calibration disc(s)

what if I do not have a blue filter from a DVD calibration disc? Would the blue from a pair of old 3D glases work? what else would work? This is the first format I have ever been serious enough to actually use a calibration disc. Also how do you select a language on bilingual movies. Hoping to get Tarzan as it is the last Disney movie made on Laserdisc, is a good movie, and I am a fan of Phil Collins.
post #516 of 948 Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Also are there any years of movies I should avoid. I remember hearing somewhere that the majority of discs were made with defects for a few years or something is this true. I was wondering because I recently bought a original 1983 copy of The secret of Nimh. Have not tried it yet, so I hope there is no problems. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: also how scratched up can one be before problems show. I noticed that the secret of nimh also had a few spots where their were some groups of light surface scratches like squiggle circles. The seller had the item listed as Very good.
post #517 of 948 Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Also are there any years of movies I should avoid. I remember hearing somewhere that the majority of discs were made with defects for a few years or something is this true. I was wondering because I recently bought a original 1983 copy of The secret of Nimh. Have not tried it yet, so I hope there is no problems. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: also how scratched up can one be before problems show. I noticed that the secret of nimh also had a few spots where their were some groups of light surface scratches like squiggle circles. The seller had the item listed as Very good.

Some manufacturers are worse than others, Sony discs are pretty bad rotters, for example. Some manufacturers' quality varied by year. Check the LaserDisc Database to see if your disc is a rotter or not.

Since LaserDisc has no error correction, any scratch, scruff, etc. can have an effect on video quality, but it depends on where it is and how deep, thick, long, etc. the cut is. Usually the marks would have to be pretty obvious on the disc before you'd see any major problems on screen.
post #518 of 948 Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

what if I do not have a blue filter from a DVD calibration disc? Would the blue from a pair of old 3D glases work? what else would work? This is the first format I have ever been serious enough to actually use a calibration disc. Also how do you select a language on bilingual movies. Hoping to get Tarzan as it is the last Disney movie made on Laserdisc, is a good movie, and I am a fan of Phil Collins.

The blue lens from anaglyph 3D glasses will not work. A blue filter will need to filter out the other colors, leaving you with just visible blue bars throughout the pattern.

Selecting a language on an LD is largely dependent on the release. I believe some releases store one language on analog left and another on analog right, but if the alternate language is on the digital track, just press the audio button.
post #519 of 948 Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:

what if I do not have a blue filter from a DVD calibration disc? Would the blue from a pair of old 3D glases work? what else would work? This is the first format I have ever been serious enough to actually use a calibration disc.

THX sells a pair pretty cheap.
I'd recommend getting calibration discs for your other formats too, but I digress.
post #520 of 948 Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:

THX sells a pair pretty cheap.
I'd recommend getting calibration discs for your other formats too, but I digress.

I have been thinking about it, though I do have DVD's I actually do not own a DVD player. Though I do own a Xbox 360 so never-mind on the last count. Thanks for the help.
post #521 of 948 Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With the blue filter what you are doing is balancing the TV so it is putting out equal amounts of Red and Green to go along with the blue. So really if you can get the white shades set to 6500K then the tint setting should just go to the middle unless your TV has special processing to boost colors to make it sell. Then just back off on the color setting so it is not so over-saturated.

The key is having the equipment to measure the 6500K for white at all brightness levels. Once you get that correct everything else falls into place. The reason I bought the Elite model of the Pioneer Plasma is for "PURE" mode. PURE mode is made for adjusting to 6500K for viewing.
post #522 of 948 Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

With the blue filter what you are doing is balancing the TV so it is putting out equal amounts of Red and Green to go along with the blue. So really if you can get the white shades set to 6500K then the tint setting should just go to the middle unless your TV has special processing to boost colors to make it sell. Then just back off on the color setting so it is not so over-saturated.

The key is having the equipment to measure the 6500K for white at all brightness levels. Once you get that correct everything else falls into place. The reason I bought the Elite model of the Pioneer Plasma is for "PURE" mode. PURE mode is made for adjusting to 6500K for viewing.

Thanks, Do I need the filter for all the steps or just the color/tint. I noticed on the back of the disc case it says it adjusts Brightness, Contrast, color, tint, and sharpness. My tv setting say, Picture, Brightness, color, Hue, and sharpness. I am guessing that picture is the same as contrast and Hue is the same as tint. Correct?
post #523 of 948 Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Do I need the filter for all the steps or just the color/tint. I noticed on the back of the disc case it says it adjusts Brightness, Contrast, color, tint, and sharpness. My tv setting say, Picture, Brightness, color, Hue, and sharpness. I am guessing that picture is the same as contrast and Hue is the same as tint. Correct?

You only need it for color and tint.
Yes, you are correct.
post #524 of 948 Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a factory sealed Laserdisc VE.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #525 of 948 Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Just wondering how much?

EDIT: Also does anyone have the THX blue filter glasses for sale by any chance, THX wants like 18 dollars including shipping.
post #526 of 948 Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

I have a factory-sealed Copland LaserDisc.

TLK
post #527 of 948 Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 AM

I wouldn't pay much for a factory-sealed LD these days. Who's to say if it has rot?

Guide to connecting your LaserDisc Player  NTSC, PAL, & MUSE
MUSE decoder information, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11

post #528 of 948 Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Lunacy View Post

I wouldn't pay much for a factory-sealed LD these days. Who's to say if it has rot?

Your right-this is a FREE country. If I sell you a sealed LD and it's ROTTEN you send it back to me and I refund you ALL including the return S/H.
That should ERADICATE ALL your fears.
Thank you

Home Theater Aficionado
post #529 of 948 Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
This is not an appropriate thread to be selling discs. The forum has rules against that.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #530 of 948 Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

This is not an appropriate thread to be selling discs. The forum has rules against that.

I would allow discussion in the context of disc function, system testing, laser rot, etc...

But yeah, if you have discs to sell or buy, please go over to the LaserDisc DataBase at www.lddb.com and give webmaster Julien Wilk some love.

post #531 of 948 Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post

5. Star Wars Trilogy: Definitive Collection (even though this was technically re-released as the bonus discs in a DVD set, I believe they are from the same master and they don't come with the awesome coffee table book. My set is completely ROT FREE)

My set is too but aren't you forgetting the other reasons for owning the LDs? jaggy free video and sound that blows the DVD away.
post #532 of 948 Old 03-17-2012, 02:46 AM

Liked: 17
Laserdisc boxsets - The artwork is so much nicer than Blu ray or dvd.

American

Japanese
post #533 of 948 Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 AM

Liked: 17
Carpenter op laserdisc

post #534 of 948 Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 AM

I love Japanese release art! I've only got these releases from Japan:

Here are some of my not-so-common favorites:
post #535 of 948 Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

A working LD player shipped and now not working

This is why LD is dead to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 1988/1989 PIONEER CLD-3030 suffered similarly.

i opened it up, managed to coax the disc tray to expel,
and immediately found my problem;

the LD pickup attaches to a nylon mounting that is tooled
to fit onto, and be driven back and forth along the length of,
a long, finely threaded brass shaft, driven by motor and toothed belt
at one end.

(this is VERY similar to the mechanism that
PIONEER had used for LD pickup movement on their first two series
of six-disc CD changers; PD-M6/-M60/-M70/-M90X)

- anyhow, somehow, in shipment, the nylon coupling on the pickup side
had gotten jarred to detachment from the mounting on the
brass shaft side, and, as a result, the player could not drive
the LD pickup, and the player's logic threw the unit
into an emergency lock-up mode that just endlessly blinked
the CD/CDV/LD indicators on the FL display,
and locked all controls, save for the mechanical POWER switch.

at any rate, i eventually discovered the problem, and, blessedly,
as nothing was at all damaged, just detached,
i fitted the nylon connector back together, powered up,
and the player immediately, dutifully searched for disc,
then returned it's laser to HOME position.

it's been a marvelous LD player, that has performed without flaw since.
in fact, just yesterday, i pulled it out, half-dismantled it,
and did a Re-Fit of sorts, using my large collection
of PIONEER-standard copper screws to replace many of the existing
ones, tightening them and giving a much more snug, secure fit all around,
and also added some dampening materials while i was at it.

now the player feels rock solid like a brick, controls are crisply responsive,
and and mechanics and operation are quieter;

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

post #536 of 948 Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 AM

Liked: 11
Reinbo

Used to have the PAL THE THING then sold it when I brought a DVD player after looking at the film the DVD was clearer and same as the signature collection THX laserdisc.

Still have the NTSC Escape From New York I will not trade or sell this. The region 2 DVD is sound butchered with repositioning of some dialogue panning and missing sound effects.

Got Village of the Damed only on region 2 DVD same with Escape From L.A. They Live, Big Trouble In Little China and Halloweeen and the bluray Halloween yuck seen the screen capture of that butchered up on the framing. Also have Christine and STARMAN.
post #537 of 948 Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

I wish, it's a modulator for daisy chaining video hardware JA-RF5. Was thinking of transferring to DVD but said why waste my time. Hey I made a crappy video of the two 704's in action, hooked up to the SC-07 using both optical's on the 704's. SC-07 sends the audio as PCM, and Faroudja is scaling to 1080p and zoomed.

Its not that bad its rather good providing the camera doesn't get overexposed by the contrast coming off the flat screen, unlike some video cameras that can't handle it as well.

Is that ALIENS CAV laserdisc or the CLV THX laserdisc Dolby Stereo AC-3 version?
post #538 of 948 Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM
post #539 of 948 Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM

I guess I did see some EE on the few still pictures was the camera mounted on tripod or something anything stuck down in place with blu-tack so the camera is always in the same position.

I think the pictures where great better than what my Fujifilm A160 which only now and then manages to get a good picture close up to CRT or LCD projector or LCD flat screen? Sometimes without flash. Contrast level tends to a bit of snag to tackle.

So what digital camera was you using?
post #540 of 948 Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edison View Post

When I put in a Laserdisc the player recognizes it "LD", but when hitting play I hear it spin up for a couple seconds and almost as quickly it stops. It will play CD's fine btw, just not Laserdisc. If it sounds like the spindle motor is it something I can replace? I don't know who to contact in town for repairs, and as *bad* as it sounds I would really like to watch Cool as Ice again not to mention some of my other 40 discs.

funny, i have the same problem, in REVERSE, with my CLD-3030.

it has no issues whatsoever with spinning LD,
but load a CD, and it'll recognize as "COMPACT DISC"
and spin up, but get stuck spinning and evidently attempting
to sync the disc up and PLAY.

((i know the player's LD pickup is very much active during the player's CD mode, because every time i've ever attempted to play a CD through the 3030, i've always heard the laser furiously at work,
obviously continually attempting to lock to the disc, and obviously failing,
until i give up and hit EJECT))

this is no biggie at all for me, as i have a dedicated high-end CD player
for my CD collection (1987/1990 PIONEER ELITE PD-91)
-i just figure that someone might know what's going down here,
and whether it is something i can fix myself,
absolving this fine LD player of it's one very minor (for me) malfunction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-222ASR View Post

So what digital camera was you using?

NIKON D5000 (2009)

got mine as a kit at my local COSTCO WHOLESALE back in mid-2009 for a wee-bit under $1k;

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page