Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #571 of 941 Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys

I just bought a Sony MDP-740D to have a player that plays some PAL discs that i don't want to throw away.
The Player was low used but the seller told me it makes the following:

The laser and the motor work. If I insert a laserdisc, the motor starts and you can hear that the unit tries to focus. Then it stops, but the display shows "LD"

The unit has very little usage...Can that be a simple Laser cleaning?

Tank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Hi Guys

I just bought a Sony MDP-740D to have a player that plays some PAL discs that i don't want to throw away.
The Player was low used but the seller told me it makes the following:

The laser and the motor work. If I insert a laserdisc, the motor starts and you can hear that the unit tries to focus. Then it stops, but the display shows "LD"

The unit has very little usage...Can that be a simple Laser cleaning?

Tank you all

Sounds like the mechanism of the laser tapping against the laserdisc or maybe CD if played. One of my Pioneer CLD-1750 does the same thing I have 3 players a DVL-909 that is new current no snags, but from what the seller can is saying it does sound like a little minor alignment or cleaning it might solve the snag? Might have dirt dust even hair stuck across the lens and or maybe the IR inferred sensor is going a bit queer?

Then play stops, yep! It sounds like the laser is not getting a good handshake tracking of the laserdisc. As my CLD-1750 would or any player would do the same thing.
post #573 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 17
ARNOLD

post #574 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speaking of AHNULD...

I'm pretty sure it's due to the vast amount of people who love his movies and some not taking proper care of them, but I've purchased all of my Arnold discs used and...

All of my Arnold LDs suffer from what I believe is crosstalk. During parts of the first side, the picture is wavy, like a maladjusted antenna on analog TV. Am I using the term correctly (crosstalk)? Is there any way to repair this (with a device or through some voodoo ceremony or otherwise)? I'm assuming it's caused by discs being stacked rather than stored on a shelf.
post #575 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM

I have not played most of them for a while. But Hercules, Eraser and End of Days looked ok.

I think a good laserdiscplayer (Elite) might get a better picture from it.
post #576 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbo View Post

ARNOLD

That is a muscle collection there that is bulging with Arnie. Who is your daddy and what does he do. Your missing that film and Jingle all the Way. What you do with Sully? I let him go. lol

The only ones I have are Terminator 2 NTSC first edition and special edition Predator NTSC and True Lies NTSC dts.
post #577 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 PM

I am very envious of the Arnie collection. And LD is the only format to have movies like that on imo.
post #578 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-222ASR View Post

That is a muscle collection there that is bulging with Arnie. Who is your daddy and what does he do. Your missing that film and Jingle all the Way. What you do with Sully? I let him go. lol

The only ones I have are Terminator 2 NTSC first edition and special edition Predator NTSC and True Lies NTSC dts.

In the mid '90s, I watched "Ahhnold" film a scene from "Jingle All the Way" at Mall of America.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #579 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

In the mid '90s, I watched "Ahhnold" film a scene from "Jingle All the Way" at Mall of America.

I have only seen a scene from it where it has an explosion that was funny.
post #580 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I'll try and steer this ship back to topic.

I've been a happy owner of a CLD-D704 for a few months. I know it offers a variable digital video noise reduction.

"When activated, the V-DNR allows manual on-screen adjustment of both high frequency (detail) and colour (chroma) video noise. This allows exact matching of the player's video high frequency output with your monitors input sensitivity."

So, my question is, if I made these adjustments, what am I looking for on the monitor (projector) in "matching it's input sensitivity?

Thanks

post #581 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbo View Post

ARNOLD

You're missing The Sixth Day.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #582 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I know.
post #583 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:

...not to mention Stay Hungry, Kindergarten Cop, Batman & Robin, Twins and Red Sonja
post #584 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 PM

I have KC, B& R and Twins, but they don't really fit in this collection. But should get the other two aswell.
post #585 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

Make sure you cut out the ARC Suppression diode close to the fuse before you replace the fuse. Most likely it shorted (happens all the time) and is causing a short to ground.

I'm sorry to be a pain but can someone explain to me exactly what fuse it is I'm supposed to buy to fix this and exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to the inside of my player? It's the CLD-D504.
post #586 of 941 Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:

In my case i guess that movie and End of Days will miss in my collection until the prices are more realistic...
post #587 of 941 Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I'll try and steer this ship back to topic.

I've been a happy owner of a CLD-D704 for a few months. I know it offers a variable digital video noise reduction.

"When activated, the V-DNR allows manual on-screen adjustment of both high frequency (detail) and colour (chroma) video noise. This allows exact matching of the player's video high frequency output with your monitors input sensitivity."

So, my question is, if I made these adjustments, what am I looking for on the monitor (projector) in "matching it's input sensitivity?

Thanks

The luminance or "Y" DNR is just sampling the picture and digitally reducing the noise levels. The unfortunate fact is that as you increase the amount of DNR processing it will also soften the picture. It has nothing to due with matching sensitivity it is all about reducing noise in the digital domain. The Chroma "C" DNR will add more stability to the colors best seem is a large red colored area staying red and not seeing streaking colors within the red area.
post #588 of 941 Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post

I'm sorry to be a pain but can someone explain to me exactly what fuse it is I'm supposed to buy to fix this and exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to the inside of my player? It's the CLD-D504.

Back on the power supply where the AC line goes into it there is a fuse, you to check and see if it is blown, if it is, cut out the suppressor diode and buy the same exact fuse that is in your player. The power supply board should also be marked with the volts and amps needed for the replacement fuse.
post #589 of 941 Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks. Gonna try that tonight.
post #590 of 941 Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Hi everyone

I'm having audio problems with my DVD/VCR combo. The audio keeps crackling up which is obviously annoying. I use the standard red and white cables to hook up my player up to the TV and I have had the combo for about 4 or 5 years. I have had no problem with it up to now. The video is fine, nothing wrong with that, its just the audio that keeps crackling up. I have tried tightning up the red and while cables at the back to make sure they weren't loose or anything, but that didnt work. Would a new set of red and white hook up cables fix my audio issue? Help would be useful, thanks

Note: This issue applys just for the DVD drive
post #591 of 941 Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Well, along with my laserdisc collection, my new CED selectavision collection continues to grow. I found the Star Wars trilogy. Return of the Jedi is a rare disc. Not many were released, as this was after RCA announced they were abandoning the format. So it's collectable to both CED collectors, and those Star Wars fans that need the 3rd film to complete their collection. They also appear to be in terrific shape! The art looks almost new. So many CEDs look beat up, many with a barcode sticker. I know many libraries lent them.
LL
LL
LL

post #592 of 941 Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They also appear to be in terrific shape! The art looks almost new.

Those are in nice shape. I think so many discs ended up with stickers because the majority ended up as library and video rental stock. The format was doomed from the start. If CEDs could have got off the ground in 1978 or 79 as planned, they might have had a chance to survive.

Did you get both discs of Jedi? Just like the LaserDisc, there are 20th Century and CBS/FOX variations of Star Wars.
LL
post #593 of 941 Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Back on the power supply where the AC line goes into it there is a fuse....

Should this unit be on a surge protected power strip after this?
post #594 of 941 Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post

Should this unit be on a surge protected power strip after this?

The surge suppressor commonly blows in these from a normal turn-on. I'm guessing they over-heated some parts when installing. If you have never had problems with other electronics then this would be the same reliability as the others. If it makes you feel better then buy a real protection device, the cheap ones will not protect against serious spikes from the power company.
post #595 of 941 Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Last weekend I plugged in my CLD-D704 and played a movie for the first time in a few months. When I started the disc, the player seemed to make unusual mechanical sounds. When the disc stopped at the end, it did not immediately spin down as it normally would. Instead, the disc was left to spin down gradually on its own.

Other than these quirks, it seems to be working fine. Does this sound like a common problem?
post #596 of 941 Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Pioneer CLD D701 I bought awhile ago... long enough to not remember where or when or how much I paid for it. It powers up and displays responses to functions buttons, but has no motor function and does nothing mechanical in response to control buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmcSnA9liE

Any ideas? I haven't worked on a player that appears to respond but do nothing at all.
post #597 of 941 Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post

Last weekend I plugged in my CLD-D704 and played a movie for the first time in a few months. When I started the disc, the player seemed to make unusual mechanical sounds. When the disc stopped at the end, it did not immediately spin down as it normally would. Instead, the disc was left to spin down gradually on its own.

Other than these quirks, it seems to be working fine. Does this sound like a common problem?

The rubber clamp surface on the top of the spindle motor needs a through cleaning or replacement.
post #598 of 941 Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post

I have a Pioneer CLD D701 I bought awhile ago... long enough to not remember where or when or how much I paid for it. It powers up and displays responses to functions buttons, but has no motor function and does nothing mechanical in response to control buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmcSnA9liE

Any ideas? I haven't worked on a player that appears to respond but do nothing at all.

Take off the top and see if the turn mechanism is turned and in lock position for the side the pickup is on. If that is good push the pickup manually toward the back and then power it on and see if it moves.
post #599 of 941 Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Take off the top and see if the turn mechanism is turned and in lock position for the side the pickup is on. If that is good push the pickup manually toward the back and then power it on and see if it moves.

The rails were down and the pickup was up toward the front. I was able to easily push it all the way back, but still nothing at all on powering up or pressing buttons. No motor, no servos, not even the pickup test for disc.

:P
post #600 of 941 Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

At least I know what killed it. The Soundtrack CD for Joe Dirt is stuck on the spindle.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page