Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #571 of 941 Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 AM
 
MV_Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys

I just bought a Sony MDP-740D to have a player that plays some PAL discs that i don't want to throw away.
The Player was low used but the seller told me it makes the following:

The laser and the motor work. If I insert a laserdisc, the motor starts and you can hear that the unit tries to focus. Then it stops, but the display shows "LD"

The unit has very little usage...Can that be a simple Laser cleaning?

Tank you all
MV_Cinema is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #572 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 AM
 
cat-222ASR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Hi Guys

I just bought a Sony MDP-740D to have a player that plays some PAL discs that i don't want to throw away.
The Player was low used but the seller told me it makes the following:

The laser and the motor work. If I insert a laserdisc, the motor starts and you can hear that the unit tries to focus. Then it stops, but the display shows "LD"

The unit has very little usage...Can that be a simple Laser cleaning?

Tank you all

Sounds like the mechanism of the laser tapping against the laserdisc or maybe CD if played. One of my Pioneer CLD-1750 does the same thing I have 3 players a DVL-909 that is new current no snags, but from what the seller can is saying it does sound like a little minor alignment or cleaning it might solve the snag? Might have dirt dust even hair stuck across the lens and or maybe the IR inferred sensor is going a bit queer?

Then play stops, yep! It sounds like the laser is not getting a good handshake tracking of the laserdisc. As my CLD-1750 would or any player would do the same thing.
cat-222ASR is offline  
post #573 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Reinbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ARNOLD

Reinbo is offline  
post #574 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Member
 
TheGiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of AHNULD...

I'm pretty sure it's due to the vast amount of people who love his movies and some not taking proper care of them, but I've purchased all of my Arnold discs used and...

All of my Arnold LDs suffer from what I believe is crosstalk. During parts of the first side, the picture is wavy, like a maladjusted antenna on analog TV. Am I using the term correctly (crosstalk)? Is there any way to repair this (with a device or through some voodoo ceremony or otherwise)? I'm assuming it's caused by discs being stacked rather than stored on a shelf.
TheGiver is offline  
post #575 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Reinbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have not played most of them for a while. But Hercules, Eraser and End of Days looked ok.

I think a good laserdiscplayer (Elite) might get a better picture from it.
Reinbo is offline  
post #576 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM
 
cat-222ASR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbo View Post

ARNOLD


That is a muscle collection there that is bulging with Arnie. Who is your daddy and what does he do. Your missing that film and Jingle all the Way. What you do with Sully? I let him go. lol

The only ones I have are Terminator 2 NTSC first edition and special edition Predator NTSC and True Lies NTSC dts.
cat-222ASR is offline  
post #577 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Yo Joe Cola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very envious of the Arnie collection. And LD is the only format to have movies like that on imo.
Yo Joe Cola is offline  
post #578 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-222ASR View Post

That is a muscle collection there that is bulging with Arnie. Who is your daddy and what does he do. Your missing that film and Jingle all the Way. What you do with Sully? I let him go. lol

The only ones I have are Terminator 2 NTSC first edition and special edition Predator NTSC and True Lies NTSC dts.

In the mid '90s, I watched "Ahhnold" film a scene from "Jingle All the Way" at Mall of America.

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #579 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM
 
cat-222ASR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

In the mid '90s, I watched "Ahhnold" film a scene from "Jingle All the Way" at Mall of America.

I have only seen a scene from it where it has an explosion that was funny.
cat-222ASR is offline  
post #580 of 941 Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll try and steer this ship back to topic.

I've been a happy owner of a CLD-D704 for a few months. I know it offers a variable digital video noise reduction.

"When activated, the V-DNR allows manual on-screen adjustment of both high frequency (detail) and colour (chroma) video noise. This allows exact matching of the player's video high frequency output with your monitors input sensitivity."

So, my question is, if I made these adjustments, what am I looking for on the monitor (projector) in "matching it's input sensitivity?

Thanks

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #581 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,992
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbo View Post

ARNOLD

You're missing The Sixth Day.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is online now  
post #582 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Reinbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You're missing The Sixth Day.

I know.
Reinbo is offline  
post #583 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
toyfreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You're missing The Sixth Day.

...not to mention Stay Hungry, Kindergarten Cop, Batman & Robin, Twins and Red Sonja
toyfreaks is offline  
post #584 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Member
 
Reinbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have KC, B& R and Twins, but they don't really fit in this collection. But should get the other two aswell.
Reinbo is offline  
post #585 of 941 Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Member
 
tinpanalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

Make sure you cut out the ARC Suppression diode close to the fuse before you replace the fuse. Most likely it shorted (happens all the time) and is causing a short to ground.

I'm sorry to be a pain but can someone explain to me exactly what fuse it is I'm supposed to buy to fix this and exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to the inside of my player? It's the CLD-D504.
tinpanalley is offline  
post #586 of 941 Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM
 
MV_Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You're missing The Sixth Day.

In my case i guess that movie and End of Days will miss in my collection until the prices are more realistic...
MV_Cinema is offline  
post #587 of 941 Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kurtis Bahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I'll try and steer this ship back to topic.

I've been a happy owner of a CLD-D704 for a few months. I know it offers a variable digital video noise reduction.

"When activated, the V-DNR allows manual on-screen adjustment of both high frequency (detail) and colour (chroma) video noise. This allows exact matching of the player's video high frequency output with your monitors input sensitivity."

So, my question is, if I made these adjustments, what am I looking for on the monitor (projector) in "matching it's input sensitivity?

Thanks

The luminance or "Y" DNR is just sampling the picture and digitally reducing the noise levels. The unfortunate fact is that as you increase the amount of DNR processing it will also soften the picture. It has nothing to due with matching sensitivity it is all about reducing noise in the digital domain. The Chroma "C" DNR will add more stability to the colors best seem is a large red colored area staying red and not seeing streaking colors within the red area.
Kurtis Bahr is offline  
post #588 of 941 Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kurtis Bahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post

I'm sorry to be a pain but can someone explain to me exactly what fuse it is I'm supposed to buy to fix this and exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to the inside of my player? It's the CLD-D504.

Back on the power supply where the AC line goes into it there is a fuse, you to check and see if it is blown, if it is, cut out the suppressor diode and buy the same exact fuse that is in your player. The power supply board should also be marked with the volts and amps needed for the replacement fuse.
Kurtis Bahr is offline  
post #589 of 941 Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Member
 
tinpanalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. Gonna try that tonight.
tinpanalley is offline  
post #590 of 941 Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Member
 
Blu-21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone

I'm having audio problems with my DVD/VCR combo. The audio keeps crackling up which is obviously annoying. I use the standard red and white cables to hook up my player up to the TV and I have had the combo for about 4 or 5 years. I have had no problem with it up to now. The video is fine, nothing wrong with that, its just the audio that keeps crackling up. I have tried tightning up the red and while cables at the back to make sure they weren't loose or anything, but that didnt work. Would a new set of red and white hook up cables fix my audio issue? Help would be useful, thanks

Note: This issue applys just for the DVD drive
Blu-21 is offline  
post #591 of 941 Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, along with my laserdisc collection, my new CED selectavision collection continues to grow. I found the Star Wars trilogy. Return of the Jedi is a rare disc. Not many were released, as this was after RCA announced they were abandoning the format. So it's collectable to both CED collectors, and those Star Wars fans that need the 3rd film to complete their collection. They also appear to be in terrific shape! The art looks almost new. So many CEDs look beat up, many with a barcode sticker. I know many libraries lent them.
LL
LL
LL

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #592 of 941 Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
toyfreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

They also appear to be in terrific shape! The art looks almost new.

Those are in nice shape. I think so many discs ended up with stickers because the majority ended up as library and video rental stock. The format was doomed from the start. If CEDs could have got off the ground in 1978 or 79 as planned, they might have had a chance to survive.

Did you get both discs of Jedi? Just like the LaserDisc, there are 20th Century and CBS/FOX variations of Star Wars.
LL
toyfreaks is offline  
post #593 of 941 Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
toyfreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

Back on the power supply where the AC line goes into it there is a fuse....

Should this unit be on a surge protected power strip after this?
toyfreaks is offline  
post #594 of 941 Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kurtis Bahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post

Should this unit be on a surge protected power strip after this?

The surge suppressor commonly blows in these from a normal turn-on. I'm guessing they over-heated some parts when installing. If you have never had problems with other electronics then this would be the same reliability as the others. If it makes you feel better then buy a real protection device, the cheap ones will not protect against serious spikes from the power company.
Kurtis Bahr is offline  
post #595 of 941 Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Jason One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last weekend I plugged in my CLD-D704 and played a movie for the first time in a few months. When I started the disc, the player seemed to make unusual mechanical sounds. When the disc stopped at the end, it did not immediately spin down as it normally would. Instead, the disc was left to spin down gradually on its own.

Other than these quirks, it seems to be working fine. Does this sound like a common problem?
Jason One is offline  
post #596 of 941 Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
toyfreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Pioneer CLD D701 I bought awhile ago... long enough to not remember where or when or how much I paid for it. It powers up and displays responses to functions buttons, but has no motor function and does nothing mechanical in response to control buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmcSnA9liE


Any ideas? I haven't worked on a player that appears to respond but do nothing at all.
toyfreaks is offline  
post #597 of 941 Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kurtis Bahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post

Last weekend I plugged in my CLD-D704 and played a movie for the first time in a few months. When I started the disc, the player seemed to make unusual mechanical sounds. When the disc stopped at the end, it did not immediately spin down as it normally would. Instead, the disc was left to spin down gradually on its own.

Other than these quirks, it seems to be working fine. Does this sound like a common problem?

The rubber clamp surface on the top of the spindle motor needs a through cleaning or replacement.
Kurtis Bahr is offline  
post #598 of 941 Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kurtis Bahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post

I have a Pioneer CLD D701 I bought awhile ago... long enough to not remember where or when or how much I paid for it. It powers up and displays responses to functions buttons, but has no motor function and does nothing mechanical in response to control buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmcSnA9liE


Any ideas? I haven't worked on a player that appears to respond but do nothing at all.

Take off the top and see if the turn mechanism is turned and in lock position for the side the pickup is on. If that is good push the pickup manually toward the back and then power it on and see if it moves.
Kurtis Bahr is offline  
post #599 of 941 Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
toyfreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

Take off the top and see if the turn mechanism is turned and in lock position for the side the pickup is on. If that is good push the pickup manually toward the back and then power it on and see if it moves.

The rails were down and the pickup was up toward the front. I was able to easily push it all the way back, but still nothing at all on powering up or pressing buttons. No motor, no servos, not even the pickup test for disc.

:P
toyfreaks is offline  
post #600 of 941 Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
toyfreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At least I know what killed it. The Soundtrack CD for Joe Dirt is stuck on the spindle.
toyfreaks is offline  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off