Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #901 of 958 Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You either need to replace the pickup or get something like a bad CLD-2080 that has good gears and swap them into your pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 958 Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

You either need to replace the pickup or get something like a bad CLD-2080 that has good gears and swap them into your pickup.

Really appreciate the help thus far...

Based on your suggestion, I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Pionner-VWY1090-laser-lens-for-CLD-959-939-919-909-616-95-98-2080-3380-/250965230090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6eb1820a

Obviously this is a bit pricy (2080's have sold for 20~30 bucks recently), but I notice the 909 is in the list (which I own, but recently died... although I think the laser is fine, and definitely the gears are fine). Could this possibly be a donor as well? I can no longer get the tray out of the unit I have, so I haven't even gotten a look at the laser/pickup. edit: I have the dvl-909, not cld-909, so never mind using that as a donor

Assuming I tear these 2 units apart again, do you have any tips for either removing the pickup or opening things up on the laser enclosure enough to replace the gears? I didn't see an obvious way to remove the enclosure from the long metal rod that it slides along (without potentially dismantling the whole machine), and although I could remove the washer on top of the enclosure, it didn't really allow me to open it any further to remove the broken gear. I saw some screws on the sides, but I didn't try removing them as I was feeling pretty defeated at that point.

I've been reading through some old usenet threads to study, including some posts with your name on it, and I've seen mention of having to recalibrate a machine after replacing a pickup, perhaps with a special test disc (not sure if replacing the gears falls under that category). Am I way off here? I'm willing to work at this, I just don't want to make things worse (if that's even possible) with no chance of success because I lack the right tools or equipment.

Again, thanks.
post #903 of 958 Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

There are "C" clips and split washers that hold the gears on, you have to remove the gears and pull out the shafts to get to the broke gear you have. If you can replace the gears and put the same pickup back you you probably won't need an alignment. Put in a different laser and normally you need to align it. To remove the pickup you need to remove the rod that it slides on. There will be a screw on one side of the bar and then you slide the bar out of the other end.
denvertrakker likes this.
post #904 of 958 Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:

There are "C" clips and split washers that hold the gears on, you have to remove the gears and pull out the shafts to get to the broke gear you have. If you can replace the gears and put the same pickup back you you probably won't need an alignment. Put in a different laser and normally you need to align it. To remove the pickup you need to remove the rod that it slides on. There will be a screw on one side of the bar and then you slide the bar out of the other end.

Well, that was not easy, but I managed to replace the broken gears and re-assemble. I turned on the unit, and saw the laser move to the center, but the front panel did not come on. Once the laser reached the center, any button presses did not seem to register.

And, maybe more concerning, things smelled a little toasty.

Tracing back my steps, I partially removed a large pcb on the right side of the unit (to get access to the track), then removed the top track, then removed a small pcb that was covering the black clip assembly that the ribbon cable from the laser pickup plugs into, then removed the ribbon cable from the black clip, then removed the laser pickup, then replaced the gears (this took some trial and error, and plenty of fiddling - I took a number of pieces off to try and work my way in there... I think I got everything back where I should)... then put everything back together. Prior to ripping everything apart, the unit powered on fine.

Is there any information here that might narrow down where the (new) problem is? The smell worries me... I don't want to do too much trial and error at the risk of starting a fire, or worse.
post #905 of 958 Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoracke View Post

Is there any information here that might narrow down where the (new) problem is? The smell worries me... I don't want to do too much trial and error at the risk of starting a fire, or worse.

I might be a little overly dramatic about the smell... it could just be the unit "warming up" with its cover off.
post #906 of 958 Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

You just need to start looking for cables that are not fully plugged in. It has nothing to do with the laser, in moving boards something is unplugged.
Apostate likes this.
post #907 of 958 Old 07-26-2013, 04:20 PM

I recently picked up a Monarchy Audio DT-40A. When opening the tray it will sometimes open up almost fully and then quickly close. Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem? Thanks for any help.
post #908 of 958 Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 AM

Can anyone comment on recent experience with Duncan at Bayview Electronics? I paid $470 for a reconditioned player back in February, then was told it wasn't yet ready and would be a week or two, but 5 months later I still haven't received the player (I'm in Tasmania, Australia, but it was to be shipped via a friend in Nashville).

He hasn't replied to 4 emails over the last 8 weeks, his phone number is disconnected, and recent forum searches do not suggest a positive outcome.
post #909 of 958 Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrrek View Post

Duncan at Bayview Electronics ... his phone number is disconnected

A search for Duncan A Hunter gives three phone numbers. Hopefully one of them is still active.

(360) 867-1311
(360) 491-9799
(360) 866-7435

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #910 of 958 Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Duncan is very active on LaserDisc Data Base, LDDB.com
post #911 of 958 Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Apologies in advance if I'm jumping in the middle of a conversation. (and I'm posting here because I see some names that have popped up on the web as good and knowledgeable folks on the LD topic)

I have a Pioneer CLD 703. It plays CDs fine, but LD's even the small ones don't engage and spin up after the tray closes. Cutting to the end of the story, last year I took the top off (not keeping it off permanently) and they played reliably for what I needed. But earlier today (after months of sitting on the component shelf) the problem came back even with the top off. I searched on the web and found this question and answer which seemed to fit my problem rather well:

Question: I have a Pioneer CLD-D703 which plays CDs just fine, however it will not play LDs. When you load a LD, it just groans and never spins the disc. Then the tray re-opens.
Answer: That sounds an awful lot like a load motor under stress. It sounds as though there's not enough belt tension to raise the laser assembly and close the clamping system, even though the tray will still open and close. As I recall, the same motor, belt and pulley system does all that on the CLD-D703, though I don't have one right here to check that out. A CD would be so light that it wouldn't cause the problem to arise. When you turn the player on and off without a disc in the tray, you don't have any trouble with the laser assembly moving into place, do you?

I had a similar problem with a CLD-D515 and initially I was able to manually assist the raising of the assembly with a tug upward on it at the moment of the "groaning" noise in order to get the disc clamped in place and spinning. I suspect this is the same problem you are having. The proper solution however was to replace the load belt with a good one, and clean the two pulleys so there was no slip and a good grip. Also relube gears and tray where necessary.

I did the "manual assist as noted in bold above and lo and behold things worked and looked solid and stable.
But my question is should I try to undertake the "replace, clean, relube" as further recommended? (I am much more of a theorist than hands on; in short I'm mostly all thumbs mechanically. Opening up the top and looking around is nearing the limit of my comfort zone). And if so, any solid tips or pointers on how to do this? Or would I be better off just trying to find a way to use the player as is and convert my moderate collection of LDs to another format?

Any suggestions are appreciated and many thanks! (and next month I'll see if the old beta player works lol)
post #912 of 958 Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

With the tray fully open unplug the player, pull it out to the stop or remove it. You see the loading belt under the tray on the front right. It is a SCQ4.0 that you can get from parts stores on-line or on eBay or clean the one in the player really good and the small pulley on the motor. I personally recommend buying a new belt.
Apostate likes this.
post #913 of 958 Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 AM

Many thanks!!
post #914 of 958 Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

With the tray fully open unplug the player, pull it out to the stop or remove it. You see the loading belt under the tray on the front right. It is a SCQ4.0 that you can get from parts stores on-line or on eBay or clean the one in the player really good and the small pulley on the motor. I personally recommend buying a new belt.

This is what I did and it's as good as new!! Works perfectly!!

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #915 of 958 Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Fellow Laserdiscophiles,

I have a Pioneer CLD - 604. I keep getting that darn 01 error message. Sometimes it plays, sometimes not. Picture and sound are fine when it works.

Any advise on DIY repair? I suspect this topic has been already addressed and I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge .
post #916 of 958 Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Same as info above. Take off top and if helping lift up on the mechanical assembly helps it play everytime then the belt needs cleaning or replacement.
Apostate likes this.
post #917 of 958 Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I have a Sony Mod-RF1 AC3 Demodulator I would like to sell. If I list it the classifieds here on AVS where is the best place to put it? Or am I better off just taking it to the Bay?

It seems there are a few of us Laserdisc people here still. I only tracked down this thread by googling though.
post #918 of 958 Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Hi out there,

I have a Pioneer CLD-M90 the just arrived and has been (I believe) damaged in shipping. The eject tray only works when the unit is held upside down and there were two plastic clips bouncing around inside that need to go somewehere to make it work properly. They seemed to have been jarred out of position during shipping but do not appear cracked or sheared.

Anybody have any idea where these go or have a similar experience/issue? I can upload a picture if anybody has any clue.

Thanks!

post #919 of 958 Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Without picture I doubt anyone could help. You really need to just watch the unit and see what is happening. These M-series and the other CD changers are problematic. They either work or not worth repairing.
post #920 of 958 Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 AM

Thanks. Here are some photos in case anybody has run into this little problem. Appreciate any help. Where do those little guys belong?

post #921 of 958 Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

That is part of the long plastic rails that load the tray and clamp the disc. Don't know of a glue that can make it new. You need to find another broke one with this part good.
Apostate and www.laserdisc.ws like this.
post #922 of 958 Old 10-16-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another Pioneer CLD-D503 with problems. This time, it's not the belt or rails, it's something to do with the spindles. Here is a quick video I shot of the problem in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xowtiO9XdE
post #923 of 958 Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

You need to order a new grip ring that goes on top of the spindle motor to grab the LD.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=VEB1237

Common issue with this unit.
Apostate likes this.
post #924 of 958 Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

...grip ring that goes on top of the spindle motor

Funny, somebody on the Facebook LaserDisc Forever! page put up a helpful link to a 2002 post by some guy named... Kurtis Bahr ("that's your name, Dude"). His advice worked!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.video.laserdisc/H0H3Kf7PCJk/ll7XOWRX3nwJ

Thanks... again? smile.gif
post #925 of 958 Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM

my self-refurbished, cosmetically near-cherry 1988 PIONEER CLD-3030 LD player;

CLD-3030JOHN11-18-132_zps59abcf35.jpg

CLD-3030JOHN11-18-131_zps888e09b9.jpg

CLD-3030CU-CLD0088-7-131_zpsbf081d26.jpg

CLD-3030JOHN8-3-135_zps1cf225f3.jpg

DSC_8403_zpsf4546c12.jpg

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

post #926 of 958 Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Very nice job, Master Tasuke! You may be getting some offers to sell it soon. What product(s) do you use to get the plastic pieces and display on the front panel to look so pristine?

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #927 of 958 Old 11-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Listen to me, for the last time, tomorrow i will go to the post office, and will solve this.
There is an insurance for the player, if you don't get it, you get your money back, that's for sure.
STOP CALLING ME NAMES, AND SPEAKING OF OTHERS LIKE TRASH, BECAUSE AS MORE AS YOU DO IT, AS MORE PROBLEMS YOU WILL HAVE.
YOU HAVE TO ANSWER FOR EVERYTHING YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT ME!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbo View Post

Like you can all read he promissed to ship the player back that week..... Now we are two weeks later. Nothing happened. He also does not answers any of my emails I sent this week, asking for an update.

PS. Just to set the story straight: I notified him the day it arrived it was broken, not a couple of days later. He had sent it in an unmarked box without any fragile warnings or this side up signs.

Another update: Some of you might have followed this Story. Two years ago I bought a Mcintosh Player from Ricardo Tomas MV Cinema Consulting. It arrived broken. I shipped it back to him and he said he would fix it and ship it back. That never happened.

Last month out of the blue Ricardo called me two weeks ago telling me he was sorry and he would ship the player the next week. In return he asked me to remove this and other messages about him. Ofcourse nothing happened. This guy must be a real psycho. So to keep you all warned about this person I will update this post more regulairy than I did and lease share. If anybody has any other news about this dude. Please let me know so we can warn the good people of the laserdisc community.
deckarep and erhurd like this.
post #928 of 958 Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post

Very nice job, Master Tasuke! You may be getting some offers to sell it soon. What product(s) do you use to get the plastic pieces and display on the front panel to look so pristine?

nothing really, besides a basic clean-up with a wet rag. guess i was just plain lucky that it arrived to me in near mint general condition...

CLD-3030JOHN9-24-132_zps746458ec.jpg

CLD-3030JOHN9-24-131_zps3ec40a5b.jpg

CLD-3030JOHN9-24-133_zps9c92bff4.jpg

CLD-3030VSOP8-7-13_zps221cbd42.jpg

CLD-3030JOHN11-18-132_zps59abcf35.jpg

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

post #929 of 958 Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 11
Figured I’d drop this in here as a starting point, since the thread topic is relevant. As part of our _huge_ clean out, I’d like to see if there’s any market for a used Pioneer 3080, fully functional. The lower-right tray with the jog control has a broken locking pin, so it stays out about 1/4” or so (I actually had it fully shut with a little paper wedge). Includes remote as well.

I’ve also got 28 movies that include some major titles, a few Criterion (Kurasawa) releases, and a few anime titles.

The discs are heavy, the player is a beast, shipping doesn’t seem viable, though I suppose if the costs were covered[?] I’m in North Florida, so a local-ish buyer is probably better.

Feel free to drop me a PM for a full list, if anybody is interested I can shoot some photos too.

Thanks!

DT

"In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy."
~Michael Scott
post #930 of 958 Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM

I need help with my pioneer cld-d501. It powers on and the laser can't move the tray won't open and nothing that involves a motor works. Any help on what this could be?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page