Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #931 of 952 Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
One possibility would be if the laser cannot move to the rest position or the turn mechanism in the back is not locked in side a or b position the unit will not respond
Apostate likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 952 Old 06-04-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Why does Kurtis Bahr have only 12 thumbs up??? eek.gif He's a godsend to this forum. I need to give him some thumbs up.
www.laserdisc.ws likes this.
post #933 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
One possibility would be if the laser cannot move to the rest position or the turn mechanism in the back is not locked in side a or b position the unit will not respond
It is locked in side a but I still get no response
post #934 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

You may need to try to physically move the pickup either forward or back a little and see what happens if it still does not help then the next culprit could be the position switches.
post #935 of 952 Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
You may need to try to physically move the pickup either forward or back a little and see what happens if it still does not help then the next culprit could be the position switches.
Yea moving the pickup did not help
post #936 of 952 Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

There are some switches on the bottom toward the spindle motor. Try depressing and releasing a couple times. Also try the one on top. If this doesn't work you should think about a new player. I do have one I could sell you.
post #937 of 952 Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Liked: 0
Novice question

Hi, I'm not really much familiar with setting up AV outside of simple connectivity and need some advice with regard to setting up some older equipment. I have a Pioneer VSX-29TX receiver and a Pioneer DVL-91 laser disc player that would like to connect to a Sony Bravia HDTV. I have the manual for the receiver but not for the LD player. Both components have a lot of inputs/outpuits and I'm not really sure what the optimal setup would be. What I'd like to accomplish is to connect the LD player to the receiver and the receiver to the TV if that's the best option. Outside of HDMI, the TV is limited to just a couple of component inputs and no S-Video. It doesn't appear that the receiver has any component video output but the LD player does. They both have optical connectors so that might be an option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #938 of 952 Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
There are some switches on the bottom toward the spindle motor. Try depressing and releasing a couple times. Also try the one on top. If this doesn't work you should think about a new player. I do have one I could sell you.
That didn't help. If you still have the player and would still like to sell it I might be able to buy it from you
post #939 of 952 Old 08-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Fleitz View Post
Hi, I'm not really much familiar with setting up AV outside of simple connectivity and need some advice with regard to setting up some older equipment. I have a Pioneer VSX-29TX receiver and a Pioneer DVL-91 laser disc player that would like to connect to a Sony Bravia HDTV. I have the manual for the receiver but not for the LD player. Both components have a lot of inputs/outpuits and I'm not really sure what the optimal setup would be. What I'd like to accomplish is to connect the LD player to the receiver and the receiver to the TV if that's the best option. Outside of HDMI, the TV is limited to just a couple of component inputs and no S-Video. It doesn't appear that the receiver has any component video output but the LD player does. They both have optical connectors so that might be an option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Component on the later LD/DVD combo players will only output DVD. LD is recorded in composite space, so you'll get the best LD quality using the composite output, which can be made better through a VP with a good comb filter. The S-Video output will likely output a picture that goes through the LD player's internal comb filter. Your best bet is to try each and pick the one that looks best to you.

As for component video out on the DVD side, it will likely be an interlaced image, so while colors will be better and the image slightly sharper, if you don't put it through a good deinterlacer, you'll notice some extra artifacts.

(This post may need to be corrected, as my memory may be a bit rusty)
post #940 of 952 Old 08-09-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerernie View Post
That didn't help. If you still have the player and would still like to sell it I might be able to buy it from you
Cannot remember which player I have that I told you about. I have a CLD-99 on eBay, I have a CLD-53 with AC-3 RF added and an older CLD-3070. You can write me at kbahr@comcast.net if you want to discuss a purchase.
post #941 of 952 Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiver View Post
Component on the later LD/DVD combo players will only output DVD. LD is recorded in composite space, so you'll get the best LD quality using the composite output, which can be made better through a VP with a good comb filter. The S-Video output will likely output a picture that goes through the LD player's internal comb filter. Your best bet is to try each and pick the one that looks best to you.

As for component video out on the DVD side, it will likely be an interlaced image, so while colors will be better and the image slightly sharper, if you don't put it through a good deinterlacer, you'll notice some extra artifacts.

(This post may need to be corrected, as my memory may be a bit rusty)
Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what a VP or comb filter are but I can certainly try the standard video output on the LD and see how that looks. I guess I'm not really as much concerned about "high def" quality but I do have some older LDs which don't have DVD releases and some of the older Criterion LDs so it's more of a case of setting something up simply to watch those. I'll try the simplest setup first and see how that goes. Thanks.
post #942 of 952 Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM

I'm almost certain this has been answered before, but bear with my inability to search forums efficiently.

Now, My buddy picked up Cld-D604 laserdisc player at Pawn America. I personally never shop there due to bad customer service and defective products in the past, and this was no exception. The player he received was essentially dead.

I ordered a replacement spindle motor off of the Pioneer Website (it came all the way from Japan!) and replaced that. Now thing plays both CD's and Laserdiscs without much issue.

The problem I AM having though, is that when playing a laserdisc, the lift mech is..... fickle. It'll go halfway up, and then I have to nudge it upwards (have to have the top case off). I don't have this issue when playing CD's.

So, I've read that it's either a slipping belt or some binding in the metal track (???). Sooo, I can't really find the belt I'm supposed to be looking for. I think the pictures I saw must be for a different model. If the track needs re-allignment, I guess I need to know what that would entail.

We figured out the hard stuff, so if you can help me with this small issue, I'd be super grateful!
post #943 of 952 Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiz View Post
I'm almost certain this has been answered before, but bear with my inability to search forums efficiently.

Now, My buddy picked up Cld-D604 laserdisc player at Pawn America. I personally never shop there due to bad customer service and defective products in the past, and this was no exception. The player he received was essentially dead.

I ordered a replacement spindle motor off of the Pioneer Website (it came all the way from Japan!) and replaced that. Now thing plays both CD's and Laserdiscs without much issue.

The problem I AM having though, is that when playing a laserdisc, the lift mech is..... fickle. It'll go halfway up, and then I have to nudge it upwards (have to have the top case off). I don't have this issue when playing CD's.

So, I've read that it's either a slipping belt or some binding in the metal track (???). Sooo, I can't really find the belt I'm supposed to be looking for. I think the pictures I saw must be for a different model. If the track needs re-allignment, I guess I need to know what that would entail.

We figured out the hard stuff, so if you can help me with this small issue, I'd be super grateful!
Open the tray all the way and you'll see it under the tray at the front left.
post #944 of 952 Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Open the tray all the way and you'll see it under the tray at the front left.
Aha! I figured that belt was only used for the tray-eject action, not both. I'll clean that bit up, and if that doesn't work, I'll try a new belt. I read somewhere it's belt no SCQ4.0. I'll let you know if things improve.

Edit: Well, it works better. I've tried it a handful of times now, and what will generally happen is it will try once, make the grinding not working noise, and spit it back out. Then, on an attempt immediately afterward, it will work and play. I'll order a new belt, see if we can increase this from a "works 75%" to "works 100%".

Last edited by dhiz; 08-23-2014 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Edited for avoiding a double post
post #945 of 952 Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pioneer CLD-S104 belt

I just got my old LD player out of storage and it has a broken belt. Any idea where I can pick up a replacement? Thanks.
post #946 of 952 Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any ideas how to fit my HLD-X0 into my Midatlantic Slim5 rack. Its is about 1 inch wider than the face of the rack. Thinking of carefully tilting the player to its side to pass through the front of the rack then tilt back into position. Not sure it will work or not.

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
post #947 of 952 Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 AM
ede

New post here from a newbie. Hope I'm not violating any protocol but this seemed like an active and relevant thread. I have a Pioneer CLD 99 that the drawer won't open. The gear just spins on the rack and displays error code E3. The faceplate does not retract and I can't seem to "help" it manually either. Visually nothing appears broken. Any help or advice is appreciated. I'm in Phoenix AZ. Not sure of any trustworthy LD repair here......Thanks in advance, Ed
post #948 of 952 Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
New post here from a newbie. Hope I'm not violating any protocol but this seemed like an active and relevant thread. I have a Pioneer CLD 99 that the drawer won't open. The gear just spins on the rack and displays error code E3. The faceplate does not retract and I can't seem to "help" it manually either. Visually nothing appears broken. Any help or advice is appreciated. I'm in Phoenix AZ. Not sure of any trustworthy LD repair here......Thanks in advance, Ed
The CLD-99 does not have a retracting face plate, the face for the drawer is attached to the front of the drawer, This post is too confusing to me to be able to answer. Are you sure it is not a CLD-97?
post #949 of 952 Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 AM
ede

Sorry about any confusion Kurtis, it is definately a CLD 99. I apparently made an incorrect assumption the face plate retracted but not based on a visual observation. So the drawer moves "with" the face plate to the open position when operating properly?. (I couldn't remember) Right now when the drawer tries to open the motor spins the small nylon gear on the nylon rack but does not produce any movement. It grinds for about 10 seconds then stops and displays E3. I tried to help move the disc tray but it did not want to budge with minimal force. I can't see anything bound up or broken and I am reluctant to force anything. This unit has operated flawlessly for years and has not been moved or mishandled. Thanks.......Ed
post #950 of 952 Old 09-03-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'd remove the top and verify the assembly is not trying to raise up before lowering and opening the tray. A video of this would be great to help. As if the drawer is closed you cannot see the gears unless you are looking under the tray. Also players have been know to get out of sync and you have to force them open and cycle open-close to get them going again.
post #951 of 952 Old 09-03-2014, 07:37 PM
ede

Thanks for the reply Kurtis! I'm trying to attach a couple pictures. The little white gear is spinning on the white rack but there is no movement. I misinterpreted what the grinding rack and gear function is. It appears to be trying to drive the optical pick up unit to the rear to a "safe" position prior to opening the tray? The tray never attempts to open and is very resistant to me trying to force it. I can try a video later if it will help. I did find the CLD 99 manual online and will print tomorrow so at least I can identify components correctly! Hope the pictures help, thanks a lot for your assistance....Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	245041   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	245049  
post #952 of 952 Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

You need to push the laser assembly backward with power off until it hits the stop. I have seen where the pickup moves forward when powered on before. Then power it on and see what happens. Email me at kbahr@comcast.net and let me know what happens.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page