Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread - Page 33 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #961 of 978 Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You might want to try asking on the LDDB forums or directly contacting Kurtis Bahr, not sure if many people follow this thread anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 978 Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DOW CORNING MOLY KOTE EM-30L Full Synthetic Grease is what I used on mine, it claims it is safe for nylon, plastic and metal gears. 1 OZ container is about $9 shipped on ebay
post #963 of 978 Old 02-22-2015, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
CLD-V2600 Error Code E-02

Hello all,

Was referred here by some folks in hopes of repairing my LaserDisc player, a Pioneer CLD-V2600. It displays the error code E-02 - one that I cannot find a mention of in the manual or online. After I press the power button, it turns on and all the lights illuminate on the front display. Blinks the word "disc" for several seconds before giving the E-02 code. I can press the eject button and it acts like it wants to eject the tray, but it never does.

Then I tried tilting the player to where the front was facing the floor and tried ejecting the tray. It actually ejected and worked for a few times--the laser assembly moved up and down like it should without any issues. I loaded an audio CD and it recognized the CD, but never attempted to play it. After that, it ejected the tray but refused to pull it back in, and produced the E-02 error again. Then I could manually pull the tray out and push it back in. And now, it responds to me pushing a button, but nothing mechanically moves unless I move it manually.

In short, it thinks it is doing something when I press a button, but it does nothing. I have not forced anything to move if it isn't moving. All of the belts that I can see appear to be in good condition.

What could be causing this?
post #964 of 978 Old 02-23-2015, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The belt may look good but may have lost its tension after all these years. Try to change the belt first.
post #965 of 978 Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM

When it does work, (at least as much as it has...) all of the belts and tray move as they should. The tray opens and closes normally, the laser slider piece moves up and down to accommodate the tray opening, and the laser piece itself moves horizontally as it should to read the disc. Then when it doesn't work, it is like it looses track of where it was; becomes disoriented. I can press buttons on the front and it acts like it is doing something (front panel displays "OPEN" when I press eject and displays "CLOSE" when I press eject again), but nothing moves. None of the motors attempt to move nor does the laser assembly move. Confirmed this by taking the belts off when it stopped working and the tray was open. Pressed the eject button and none of the motors made an attempt to move.
post #966 of 978 Old 02-23-2015, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If the laser has issues moving to the correct spot then this has the same m-holder as the CLD-D504/604 and other similar based players where the tabs that hold the two movement gears break loose and the gears float and sometimes work and sometimes don't.
post #967 of 978 Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM

Yesterday, the player randomly started working without issues. I was able to play some LaserDiscs all the way through and also played some audio CDs. The tray and laser assembly moved without issue. I then unplugged it for the night. So I assumed that it would continue working again today. Wrong! Plugged it back in this morning, and it started to move the laser. The assembly moved into place and the laser lens moved up and down two times (IIRC, it moved up and down three times when it was working) and stopped; gave the E-02 error code after a few seconds. And now it is back to a completely non-functional state where absolutely nothing moves when buttons are pressed.

Would this still be indicative of a bad m-holder piece needing replacement?
post #968 of 978 Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

The M-holder can cause movement issues so if still is a possibility. The part is cheap enough it is worth trying if you unit still has the gray colored holder
post #969 of 978 Old 03-21-2015, 04:22 AM

Hi all I lave a Pioneer CLD 925 UK machine which has been playing fine until recently. I have had the same error with two UK laserdiscs from the early 80s. In both cases the machine will fail to play side b either by turning from side a or when side b is loaded face up. The machine attempts to load and then fails and displays the code P5. All the other discs in my collection play fine. Do you know what P5 means and is this a player or disc issue and can it be fixed? Thanks for any assistance you can offer. Lee :blush:
post #970 of 978 Old 03-21-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

P5 means it cannot get a signal off the disc. My guess would be laserrot. Sometimes you cannot see it visually by looking at the disc but since you flipped the disc over and it still won't play I believe your players are fine.
post #971 of 978 Old 03-22-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Now that Kurtis has restore my pioneer 703 to its former glory (public thanks) I am considering dubbing some discs to digital. I do have a working dvd recorder. However this converts the PCM to ac3.

Any cheapo suggestions on how to concert discs to digital with uncompressed audio. Looked into a hauppuage but their support told me it converts linear Pcm into AAC or some other compressed format. I would need an external usb box for my htpc. There is no room for an internal card. I have a fair amount of useful software including an older copy of Vegas

Thanks.
post #972 of 978 Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
P5 means it cannot get a signal off the disc. My guess would be laserrot. Sometimes you cannot see it visually by looking at the disc but since you flipped the disc over and it still won't play I believe your players are fine.
Thanks Kurtis. :relaxed:
post #973 of 978 Old 03-24-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey Guys,
Just ressurected my pioneer CLD-1090 which i had an AC-3 mod put in...works perfectly, except I need an AC-3 RF demodulator for it to pass 5.1 (anyone know of a good and cheap source for one of those???)

I also have a DCLD-D701 in perfect shape....has more bells and whistles, but I just want to watch Star Wars 1995 'Faces' LD's for the best video and audio....and YES, I know that these discs do NOT have DD I just want to keep one player for the unaltered trilogy!

Many thanks in advance!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #974 of 978 Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Hey Guys,
Just ressurected my pioneer CLD-1090 which i had an AC-3 mod put in...works perfectly, except I need an AC-3 RF demodulator for it to pass 5.1 (anyone know of a good and cheap source for one of those???)

I also have a DCLD-D701 in perfect shape....has more bells and whistles, but I just want to watch Star Wars 1995 'Faces' LD's for the best video and audio....and YES, I know that these discs do NOT have DD I just want to keep one player for the unaltered trilogy!

Many thanks in advance!
KBMAN, there are a few yamaha AC3 RF demodulators up on eBay at the moment. I think they were asking around $60 or so for a starting bid.

You could also search for the Yamaha DDP-1 which is a bulky unit that decodes the AC3 and outputs it as 5.1 separate channels (it has 6 RCA jacks on the back of it) that you can patch in to a home theater amp if it has a multi channel input. That's what I ended up doing on my setup because I had the shelf space for a bulky unit, my amp had a multi channel input, and I didn't want to pay the high price that the compact demodulators usually go for
Red Dolittle likes this.
post #975 of 978 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just for fun . . . . nostalgia . .
We watched the new "101 Dalmations" (the original animated version) Disney blu-ray the other day. It is a terrific blu-ray set.
Sooooo . . I dragged out my "101 Dalmations" (the Glenn Close/Jeff Daniels version) Disney laser disc this morning to see if it still worked and what kind of quality I would get.
Equipment:
Pioneer DVL-919 combo laser/dvd player
Lexicon LDD-1 AC3 demodulator
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver
Sony LED HDTV 46"

This title is a THX laser disc with a Dolby AC-3 track. I set the LDD-1 to snag the AC3 track and pass it on, and the receiver to decode it.
The audio was perfectly fine.
The video came across the S-VHS connection to the receiver. The receiver was set to upconvert it to 1080p and pass it on to the TV via hdmi.
The video was surprisingly good . . surely not full HD quality, but probably comparable to an upconverted DVD (although I did not do a direct comparison to test that).
The laser disc played perfectly all the way through (no laser rot or problems of any kind) and all the equipment performed perfectly.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #976 of 978 Old Today, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Just for fun . . . . nostalgia . .
We watched the new "101 Dalmations" (the original animated version) Disney blu-ray the other day. It is a terrific blu-ray set.
Sooooo . . I dragged out my "101 Dalmations" (the Glenn Close/Jeff Daniels version) Disney laser disc this morning to see if it still worked and what kind of quality I would get.
Equipment:
Pioneer DVL-919 combo laser/dvd player
Lexicon LDD-1 AC3 demodulator
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver
Sony LED HDTV 46"

This title is a THX laser disc with a Dolby AC-3 track. I set the LDD-1 to snag the AC3 track and pass it on, and the receiver to decode it.
The audio was perfectly fine.
The video came across the S-VHS connection to the receiver. The receiver was set to upconvert it to 1080p and pass it on to the TV via hdmi.
The video was surprisingly good . . surely not full HD quality, but probably comparable to an upconverted DVD (although I did not do a direct comparison to test that).
The laser disc played perfectly all the way through (no laser rot or problems of any kind) and all the equipment performed perfectly.
Interesting that you get a watchable picture via your HDMI connection to your TV. I have a Pioneer DVL-909 laser/DVD player and run it through a Marantz AV8003 Pre Tuner processor up to an Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 projector. If I try watching a LD via the the up converted component or HDMI out connection on the Marantz to the projector I only get a black & white picture. If I use either composite or S-Video out, I get a color picture. The picture via composite (composite looks cleaner than S-Video in my set up) looks fine albeit very soft compared to an HD picture. If you look at the picture via either component or HDMI, the picture looks a little better upconverted from the LD, but it is hard to tell since I cannot get any color to display from the LD to these output connections to the projector. If anyone has any ideas how to get the color info from a LD to the component and HDMI connections, I would love to hear about it. When operating the DVL-909 with a LD playing the unit looks like it shuts color off from outputting from the LD player to the Marantz component and HDMI outputs and if you play a DVD, than the player shuts the color off on composite or S-Video.
post #977 of 978 Old Today, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Interesting that you get a watchable picture via your HDMI connection to your TV. I have a Pioneer DVL-909 laser/DVD player and run it through a Marantz AV8003 Pre Tuner processor up to an Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 projector. If I try watching a LD via the the up converted component or HDMI out connection on the Marantz to the projector I only get a black & white picture. If I use either composite or S-Video out, I get a color picture. The picture via composite (composite looks cleaner than S-Video in my set up) looks fine albeit very soft compared to an HD picture. If you look at the picture via either component or HDMI, the picture looks a little better upconverted from the LD, but it is hard to tell since I cannot get any color to display from the LD to these output connections to the projector. If anyone has any ideas how to get the color info from a LD to the component and HDMI connections, I would love to hear about it. When operating the DVL-909 with a LD playing the unit looks like it shuts color off from outputting from the LD player to the Marantz component and HDMI outputs and if you play a DVD, than the player shuts the color off on composite or S-Video.
The component connections on the Pioneer DVD/Laser Disc combo players are intended for DVD playback only and cannot provide color from a laser disc (since laser disc video is basically composite on the media). Since I only use the DVL-919 for laser disc playback, I leave my player set to output video via S-Video and let the receiver upconvert to 1080p HDMI. That's as good as laser disc playback gets on my system.
Assuming your Marantz AV8003 is capable of upconverting an input S-Video signal to 1080p HDMI output, try unplugging the component cables from your DVL-909 to the Marantz in order to get proper color from your laser disc playback via S-Video. I find if the player senses the component connections are active, color disappears from laser discs.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; Today at 08:38 AM.
post #978 of 978 Old Today, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
The component connections on the Pioneer DVD/Laser Disc combo players are intended for DVD playback only and cannot provide color from a laser disc (since laser disc video is basically composite on the media). Since I only use the DVL-919 for laser disc playback, I leave my player set to output video via S-Video and let the receiver upconvert to 1080p HDMI. That's as good as laser disc playback gets on my system.
Assuming your Marantz AV8003 is capable of upconverting an input S-Video signal to 1080p HDMI output, try unplugging the component cables from your DVL-909 to the Marantz in order to get proper color from your laser disc playback via S-Video. I find if the player senses the component connections are active, color disappears from laser discs.
My Marantz is setup to up convert a 480i signal to component and HDMI. I will try your suggestion of pulling the component cables from the DVL-909 and see if color appears on the LDs from composite or S-Video.
Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page