Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 04-27-2016, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
You need to find a repair shop that can actually debug a switching power supply. Most places just swap out boards and Pioneer no longer stocks older power supplies.
Dear Kurtis,

Thank you for the very quick reply. I'm a bit discouraged, I take it the "nip the ARC suppressor diode" solution is not the way to go in my case (was hoping for a quick fix). I will try to find a suitable electronics repair shop. By "switching power supply" you mean one that can switch between 110-220V?

On a side note, is there a reason these PSUs are so sensitive? Two D99s manufactured in 1996 suffered badly, but no other household item was damaged, including an LD-S1 from 1986 that is still working flawlessly. I would be happy to continue using the latter but the lack of optical/digital/rf output is a problem.

-D-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie82 View Post
Dear Kurtis,

Thank you for the very quick reply. I'm a bit discouraged, I take it the "nip the ARC suppressor diode" solution is not the way to go in my case (was hoping for a quick fix). I will try to find a suitable electronics repair shop. By "switching power supply" you mean one that can switch between 110-220V?

On a side note, is there a reason these PSUs are so sensitive? Two D99s manufactured in 1996 suffered badly, but no other household item was damaged, including an LD-S1 from 1986 that is still working flawlessly. I would be happy to continue using the latter but the lack of optical/digital/rf output is a problem.

-D-
The arc suppressor is not on this power supply design, it is on the US models CLD-D504/604/505/605/406/606/59 and the US DVL units.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 AM

Thank you, clear.

Upon checking my "for spare parts/canibalization" D99, I realised that that one has the red standby light on, but is otherwise non responsive.
Would it be that there is an easier fix for that machine?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie82 View Post
Thank you, clear.

Upon checking my "for spare parts/canibalization" D99, I realised that that one has the red standby light on, but is otherwise non responsive.
Would it be that there is an easier fix for that machine?
If the red standby light is coming on then the switching supply is actually coming on and in standby mode so I would find that easier as the other is not even starting up. But then if the diode bridge is bad with the one that does not light the red LED that is simple to replace.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AntcuFaalb
Quote:
Originally Posted by randosel View Post
i still have a few factory sealed discovision titles bought 25 years ago.
Do you plan on selling any?

Analog Media Preservation Society: https://ssl.reddit.com/r/AMPSdeux
Old 07-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Been collecting various players and stockpiling music LDs. I recently acquired a LX1000, 604, and a Proscan PSLD46. Figured a 12 LD trade for the 46 was worth it, since it has AC-3 and and an optical out. Did have a question though.

The 46 has a tendency to stick. Opened it up, cleaned the ring, and watched the mechanism. when you stick a disc in, when the mechanism to clamp rises before it goes out over the disc, it sticks before it goes out. If you give a quick medium tap, it continues out like it is supposed to. It seems to get smoother and not get stuck the more you use the player. The player, lens, rails inside are pretty much immaculate apart from dust from never being used. Is this merely from disuse or is this a bigger issue? I also have an LJRI(it's actually a II as it has a coaxial out as well as a AC-3 out direct from Runco). The coaxial does not seem to work; the AC-3 and analog outs do. Coax did work before. Is this just possibly a loose connection? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, is $100 for a barely used dvl919 a good price? I have the LJR, LX900, LX1000, 604, 505, Proscan PSLD46. 919 would fit in just before or just after the 604 and 46? All feedback and info is appreciated.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 AM

Also just recently bought a NIB DVDO Edge for $100 off CL. I have a Denon 1910 which upscales. Also have a Magnavox RZV427MG9 VCR/DVD recorder. What is the best way to hook up and/or chain my LD to get the best picture? Does that Magnavox DVD-Recorder have a good output if I plug the LD into it? Do I want to use as part of the chain or no?

My TV is a Philips HDTV 30HW9110D. Thanks in advance for all info..........
Old 07-08-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I would like to tell you that bought a player Pioneer CLD-R5 for $ 75 dollars, and I would ask if any of you had this player and I can tell their experience with, and if someone could give me some recommendation on how to take advantage of the maximum, because I want to catch this player and it has an option called FINE WIDE that sharpens by software and then not let me very happy to say this option. regards
Old 07-08-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by csseahawk View Post
The 46 has a tendency to stick. Opened it up, cleaned the ring, and watched the mechanism. when you stick a disc in, when the mechanism to clamp rises before it goes out over the disc, it sticks before it goes out. If you give a quick medium tap, it continues out like it is supposed to. It seems to get smoother and not get stuck the more you use the player. The player, lens, rails inside are pretty much immaculate apart from dust from never being used. Is this merely from disuse or is this a bigger issue? I also have an LJRI(it's actually a II as it has a coaxial out as well as a AC-3 out direct from Runco). The coaxial does not seem to work; the AC-3 and analog outs do. Coax did work before. Is this just possibly a loose connection? Any info would be appreciated.
Replace the loading belt for the 46.

For the Runco, I'd check your settings and connections.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 PM

How much is the loading belt? Where can I get the belt? How do I check the belt to see how good/bad it is?

Also, how I check interior connections on the LJR? I know the AC-3 out works.........and the coaxial does not. Never heard about a Coaxial out going bad........only optical outs. Kinda suprised.........
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM

How good is a 46? 604 quality? higher? lower? Seems like these 504/46/Yammy 901s are the same but I could be mistaken.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
How good is a 46? 604 quality? higher? lower? Seems like these 504/46/Yammy 901s are the same but I could be mistaken.
Never actually worked on the 46 but it would be comparable to either the 504 or 604. Take off the top and when the mechanical assembly starts up see it you need to assist it up to complete the raising cycle, if yes then you need the belt. here is the Pioneer link to order it

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=VEB1184

Otherwise go thru the LJR and the receiver settings and make sure they are setup correctly to use the coax output.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Also just recently bought a NIB DVDO Edge for $100 off CL. I have a Denon 1910 which upscales. Also have a Magnavox RZV427MG9 VCR/DVD recorder. What is the best way to hook up and/or chain my LD to get the best picture? Does that Magnavox DVD-Recorder have a good output if I plug the LD into it? Do I want to use as part of the chain or no?

My TV is a Philips HDTV 30HW9110D. Thanks in advance for all info..........

I have a Pioneer CLD-D406 with a DVDO Edge and they are a great combo. The Edge is a great scaler and the quality is very good. The Edge has dual HDMI outputs, one is for audio which I feed to my Denon AVR and the other feeds to my Panasonic plasma.

The only drawback is the power supply in the Edge is good for about 5 years then it dies a sudden death. That's what happened with mine. I Googled it found out that a lot people had the same issue, but that the fix was easy with matching power supply available online. It's an easy fix If you are handy with a screwdriver.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:33 PM

So with my players, EDGE, upscaling Denon 1910, and the Magnavox RZV427MG9 VCR/DVD recorder. How do I daisy-chain these together? LD>1910>EDGE? LD>EDGE>1910? Does the DVD-Recorder even come into play?

Also have Lumagen Vision Pro. Should that enter the chain as well?

Last edited by csseahawk; 07-11-2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: more info..........
Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
So with my players, EDGE, upscaling Denon 1910, and the Magnavox RZV427MG9 VCR/DVD recorder. How do I daisy-chain these together? LD>1910>EDGE? LD>EDGE>1910? Does the DVD-Recorder even come into play?

Also have Lumagen Vision Pro. Should that enter the chain as well?

I wouldn't daisy chain anything. I think you will be just fine if you connect LD and Magnavox straight to the Edge and let it do the upscaling for you. I would feed the HDMI video out from the Edge to your Philips and the HDMI audio only out to your Denon. I don't think there would be anything to gain by daisy chaining video processors. You would still use the Denon for switching other sources like SAT/Cable, Blu-Ray etc. I don't know anything about VisionPro, it may be better than than the Edge, or it may not, but you can experiment and compare the two and see which one has the better processing. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 11:13 AM

DVL-909 panel display seems dim

As above... it's my only example, so I'm calling it very dim for a bright room, weak for a normal room, ~ OK in a dark room. This model only has FL off and on that I can find. I can not find a print for it, but other's notes implied AC pin pairs connections at FL 'tube' grew loose. I resoldered those for no improvement.

Should this be as bright as say a DVL-91 on full?
Is there a control/pot/common weak component?
Do panel FLs just grow weak over time?
I do see, I believe a (nano) resistor as the trace leaves the flat connector for this board to go to the FL, safe to jump out?
What should the AC be?

Any help appreciated!!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM

My LX1000 is doing something new to me. It will open and close, and grab the CD/LD, but it never stops spinning. The display says close and all 20+ chapters, but never registers that it is playing and/or reading a disc. I have the service manual for it, but not sure what the problem is or could be. All info would be appreciated.........
Old 09-15-2016, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post
A general thread for people to discuss general LaserDisc topics, especially maintenance and repair issues.
How do I post a question? If the below isn't right let me know :-P

I have a Pioneer LD-W1. I have an intermittent problem with audio. Some discs play fine, others have a high whine that almost drowns out the audio. It is worse when audio is run through the tv, slightly better when run through the home theater system. Only emits through one of the six speakers in the system? Any ideas? Brenda
Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

This is normal if the bad LD's are AC-3 Dolby Digital encoded and you are listening to the analog audio and hearing the noise in the right channel. You need to listen to the digital audio to avoid this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics