Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 952 Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Replacement rings are about $15 from Pioneer Parts, will work like new then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 952 Old 06-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kurtis, do you happen to have a model number? I was browsing the site and think I would love to have some parts stashed away for the inevitable rainy day...
post #183 of 952 Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 AM

my 704 turns on but will not read any discs

should i take it for a professional lens cleaning?
post #184 of 952 Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any Laserdiscs only or CD's too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbass View Post

my 704 turns on but will not read any discs

should i take it for a professional lens cleaning?

post #185 of 952 Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

When the clamp is dirty CD's will play fine, just issues with LD.

Here is the link for the ruber ring
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=VEB1237
post #186 of 952 Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

When the clamp is dirty CD's will play fine, just issues with LD.

Here is the link for the ruber ring
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=VEB1237

Lol they want to charge me 12.44 shipping for an 11.95 part
post #187 of 952 Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427 View Post

Lol they want to charge me 12.44 shipping for an 11.95 part

They also want $112.45 for a DVL-909 service manual.... and $9.83 to ship it! These must be 2012 prices.
post #188 of 952 Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Get your DVL-909 Service manual here for free

http://www.free-service-manuals.com/...Manual_L92329/
post #189 of 952 Old 06-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks Kurtis, like I said I'm gonna get 1 or 2 and just keep them for a rainy day...knock on wood

Has anyone acquired any new and interesting titles lately? I just got Fight Club last week and was floored by the audio
post #190 of 952 Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpahawkins View Post

Has anyone acquired any new and interesting titles lately? I just got Fight Club last week and was floored by the audio

I am constantly amazed at stuff I find just in my local market. I just bought a lot of 75 LDs and got the WS version of Andromeda Strain, WS Lion In Winter and some Art Of the Western World photo discs.
post #191 of 952 Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427 View Post

Get your DVL-909 Service manual here for free

http://www.free-service-manuals.com/...Manual_L92329/

Sweet! Now I just need a manual for the DVL-700
post #192 of 952 Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM

I wish that this thread was stickied.

TLK
post #193 of 952 Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 AM

Sometimes when i play a certain disc on my player he disc make a strange noise at the begginning for example, like it is "WAVY", but then after 20 minutes or 30 of movie, it's ok....
This only happenned to me in 3 discs... Can anyone tell me why this happnes to the discs? Can they be fixed?

Tank you
post #194 of 952 Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster78 View Post
Sometimes when i play a certain disc on my player he disc make a strange noise at the begginning for example, like it is "WAVY", but then after 20 minutes or 30 of movie, it's ok....
This only happenned to me in 3 discs... Can anyone tell me why this happnes to the discs? Can they be fixed?

Tank you
Need you describe it better for me, "WAVY" would be a visual affect on the screen and I believe you are talking about a sound you are hearing at the player.

Also need to know the model of the player
post #195 of 952 Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Hi Kurt

It's a sound...when the disc is spinning...
It's on the X9, because then i put the disc on the X0 and the sound is much much less...
Guess the X0 has better chassis...
post #196 of 952 Old 06-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Do you mean a rattle? A rumble? A whistle? A warble? Is it high-pitched or low? Sounds to me like a spindle motor problem, but what do I know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 NTSC, PAL, & MUSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11

post #197 of 952 Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 PM

I think it's not the spindle motor...it only makes this in 3 discs...
It looks like the discs are "waved", but they we're stored in vertical position, doesn't make sense...
post #198 of 952 Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it's not the spindle motor...it only makes this in 3 discs...
It looks like the discs are "waved", but they we're stored in vertical position, doesn't make sense...

Like a warped record? Ah remembering when I;d leave an album in a car on a hot summer day.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #199 of 952 Old 06-24-2011, 02:09 AM

That's right...
What should i do? Maybe put a couple of books pressing the discs for a week?
post #200 of 952 Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

I still don't understand. So the WAVY is not the sound but the condition of the LD. The LD make a scratching noise because the disc itself have a wavy look. The way you originally used WAVY was like it was what you saw on the monitor while watching.

If this is true then the LD is initially internally rubbing against something. after 20 minutes of gyro force from spinning and getting warm it straightens up enough to no longer rub.

Flat weight and time will fix that.
post #201 of 952 Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:

That's right...
What should i do? Maybe put a couple of books pressing the discs for a week?

If you have an outdoor area which is exposed to the sun, one thing to do is to place the disc between two sheets of glass, laid flat. The top of a glass patio table, with a second, smaller tabletop over it, is a good example. You let the disc get quite warm, while something heavy, such as a large jug of water, sits out also getting warm. Then (only after the disc has warmed up considerably) you put the weight on top of the upper sheet of glass, & leave it there over the course of a couple of days. The gentle heating will relax the disc, & when it cools again overnight, it will not be able to take up the warp again, because it is being pressed flat. When you think the warp is pressed out, you must take it out from under the weight & bring it inside in the morning before it has a chance to heat up again.

I have used this procedure with success on discs which were warped to unusability when I bought them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

I still don't understand. So the WAVY is not the sound but the condition of the LD. The LD make a scratching noise because the disc itself have a wavy look.

Maybe the warp exaggerates the uneven loading caused by the disc eccentricity, somehow? In that case there could be a pronounced rumbling noise from the player, which would die down during play of a CLV disc, because of the lower rotational speed.

NTSC, PAL, & MUSE

, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11

post #202 of 952 Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a Pioneer HLD-X0?

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
post #203 of 952 Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 PM

X9s are easier to find — there's one up on eBay right now — but X0s turn up from time to time. You might look at Yahoo Japan Auctions. The proxy bidding servivces aren't cheap, but that's a given with this type of player. I'd be more concerned about their shipping, & the condition of the player. Unless you understand Japanese, the listings are far from transparent.

I would have said in the past, if you don't care about money, talk to Nic Santini, but I don't know if he's still active. Certainly I didn't get any response to my email inquiries to earlier this year.

NTSC, PAL, & MUSE

post #204 of 952 Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 AM

The picture of the X9 is very very close to the X0 picture...besides there are still parts availble for the X9 and for the X0 you can forget about it.
And i am talking about the direct signal, because if you use "scaler" you can make an X9 superior.
Also X0 is a single side player...

The one at ebay is a 2002 unit, very hard to find. And Sheer i agree with you, yahoo auctions are not clear at all! Tell me about it, i got some "bad" surprises last year
post #205 of 952 Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a Pioneer HLD-X0?

Assuming that you're going to use the player for LD playback only (not MUSE or CD), I would go with the LD-S2. The S2 can be up to an order of magnitude cheaper than the HLD-X0 (!), and I've been told (by Duncan Hunter at Bayview Electronics himself) that both players have a very similar PQ.

TLK
post #206 of 952 Old 06-25-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you look at the insides of the LD-S2 and HLD-X0 you will see that the top boards were changed for the MUSE capability but the chassis, pickup mechanics and everything else looks common between the players. I would also believe that if you do not need the MUSE capability that the S2 would be the way to go. The S2 does have the lowest noise level picture I've ever seen in an analog setup. Just not the sharpest picture if that is what you are looking for.

In an analog setup the HLD-X9 has the same noise levels of the CLD-99 or CLD-D704. I personally cannot compare the X9 to the X0, to me they are very different machines.
post #207 of 952 Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I just watched the criterion version of Se7en on my Sony v60 SXRD. I have to use a separate setting and drop the brightness from 50 to about 20.
Beautiful!

Thats what I did, I set up a seprate LD setting
post #208 of 952 Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Just discovered this thread although I had posted in another thread.

~ 8 months ago I purchased a CLD-702 from Ebay ($25) and the seller from San Jose offered to deliver while visiting relatives in my area.
The player works well, only the remote fails to open the tray but my Harmony 880 does so no issue there.

Testing a disk, Cyborg (Van Damme) There was noticeable color shifting, in particular during slow camera pans I notice changes in Saturation and Hue i.e a color like red would drift to pink and/or an orange tint.
IMO a poorly authored disk and perhaps a CUE deficiency in the 702 processor. This problem is only present on a few disks, the majority are OK.

Now with my DVDO iScan Duo these color anomalies are gone. The 702 outputs to the Duo via composite which seems better than S-Video. Some posts in other threads suggest the S-video conversion in the 702 is not accurate.

Since I like to use a Media Player I copied several disks to a Desktop using a Hauppauge 950Q. While this is primarily TV tuner with NTSC/ATSC demodulators it does have a dongle which accepts composite, S-Video and L/R analog audio.
The files can then be burned to a DVD and/or transferred to my WHS (HP Mediasmart EX490).

My media players, a NeoTV550 and Dune H1 do not have a source direct function and processing the video raised the possibility of color space contamination. So far I have not seen that problem with the Media players output to the Duo.

While it would be preferable to record the Duo output to a recorder, with only HDMI outputs, there are no recorders I know of with that capability and it is doubtful there would be an observable difference.

BTW my display is an LG 55LH90, LED backlit with local dimming. Calibrated with ChromaPure and a Chrome 5 colorimeter.

BTW buying a $1000 VP for laserdisk processing is silly but with 8 HDMI, composite and Component inputs, all in use with my HT sources it is worth it.

If anyone has suggestions for a better way of copying laserdisks for replay from mediaplayers, please post.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #209 of 952 Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post
Testing a disk, Cyborg (Van Damme) There was noticeable color shifting, in particular during slow camera pans I notice changes in Saturation and Hue i.e a color like red would drift to pink and/or an orange tint.
IMO a poorly authored disk and perhaps a CUE deficiency in the 702 processor. This problem is only present on a few disks, the majority are OK.
No such thing as "CUE" in the NTSC world. Each line contains both I and Q chroma components. This phenomenon could be caused, in principle, by poor comb filtering, as horizontal motion in particular tends to violate the "frequency interleaving" condition, causing chroma information to leak into the luma signal & vice versa.
On the other hand, the issue could be tracking error, disc eccentricity, & timebase drift, which would have the same general effect, although there would be little reason for it to be most pronounced in scenes with panning.

Quote:
Now with my DVDO iScan Duo these color anomalies are gone. The 702 outputs to the Duo via composite which seems better than S-Video. Some posts in other threads suggest the S-video conversion in the 702 is not accurate.
If the iScan has a superior comb filter, or better subcarrier phase lock/timebase recovery, it may be able to correct errors arising in the player circuitry. One thing to check, also, is that the rather mysterious "Soft Picture" function (apparently intended for people used to video from VHS tape) is not turned on. This processing is only applied to the S-Video output.

Quote:
My media players, a NeoTV550 and Dune H1 do not have a source direct function and processing the video raised the possibility of color space contamination. So far I have not seen that problem with the Media players output to the Duo.
You are always going to have colorspace issues, since the LD is recorded in the YIQ composite format, whereas essentially all video files use some type of YUV component format. As long as you are preserving that down the chain, however, & not using RGB at some point (say, a VGA interconnnexion, or DVI/HDMI set to RGB mode), there should be no real problems.

NTSC, PAL, & MUSE

post #210 of 952 Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

^

Thanks.
I have the original Joe Kane "A Video Standard" laserdisk.

Can you suggest ways to use that to test, expose and perhaps correct play back deficiencies
Running straight or thru the Duo ?

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page