I need a good VCR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not looking for a DVD/VCR combo. I just need a good VCR. Does anyone have any recommendations? I need one that can play tapes back as clean as possible. I appreciate any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
eBay, Craigslist or pawnshops. They don't make any new standalone VCRs anymore, just combos now, so you'll have to go used.

I like Mitsubishi's HS-U748 (SVHS) and the 448 (regular VHS), but there were some good Panasonics (before 2000) and other makes.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Used is fine. Just need to find a good one
post #4 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can vouch for the HS-U748 (or 448 if you don't need the S-video capability.) I have one that I still use from time to time. Might have to be patient in getting one, though. It took me about a month.

Others might recommend some different models.

post #5 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
The Toshiba W603 was an excellent unit, right up there with the Panasonics. I still have a Panasonic PV-V4612 and a PV-V4624, both of which are still truckin' along.

You might also look for a model from Panasonic's Pro series, such as the AG-1980. If you can find a good used one, they're more ruggedly built and have editing features not found on consumer vcrs.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys! But why are these so expensive on ebay? They are like $150 and up
post #7 of 18 Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would wait. The guy selling the HS-U748 is crazy if he thinks he'll get the $200 he's asking. They pop up for $40 (about what I paid for mine), but you have to be patient. Remember, it sold for $700 new.

I think the AG-1980 is a little more desirable, especially for dubs, so it commands a bit more, but again, if you wait, it should have a more reasonably priced model, although the Mitsubishi by my experience will be cheaper.

Keep in mind the last of these good VCRs were built almost ten years ago and they weren't the common VCR you bought grandma so she could record Johnny Carson. They were made in far fewer numbers and they're what VHS enthusiasts seek out.

post #8 of 18 Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM

the AG1980 has a pretty good TBC fixing a lot of problems with tapes, without loosing resolution.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #9 of 18 Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by denvertrakker View Post

The Toshiba W603 was an excellent unit, right up there with the Panasonics. I still have a Panasonic PV-V4612 and a PV-V4624, both of which are still truckin' along.

You might also look for a model from Panasonic's Pro series, such as the AG-1980. If you can find a good used one, they're more ruggedly built and have editing features not found on consumer vcrs.

Yea, I'd vouch for the Toshiba brands. I've had two W-512's (they also make a 511) for years and they are still going strong. You can check TV repair places (a good place because most have been repaired) and second-hand flea market and used furniture stores especially. They always seem to have 10 or 12 units but of course it would be a crapshoot buying there. Be sure to check it out and another problem is many times no remote. But the good thing is that the price is always right, usually around $20-30 bucks.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

What do you guys think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
post #11 of 18 Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM

A decent machine. As with most JVC machines, it has no 4 hour speed, but that's not usually a problem since almost everyone uses 2 hr or 6 hr.

Betcha it goes much higher before sale ends...
post #12 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

I should probably have noted that I will not be using this vcr for recording anything. I just want a vcr that will play back my old tapes with a clean (as possible) picture.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKohhi View Post

I should probably have noted that I will not be using this vcr for recording anything. I just want a vcr that will play back my old tapes with a clean (as possible) picture.

From my understanding, you are probably still looking at the same machines. JVC, Panasonic & Mitsubishi S-VHS decks had higher quality heads than their VHS equivalents (necessary for the playback of S-VHS and a benefit to the playback of VHS) and the models mentioned above are some of the most reliable, longest-lasting decks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Better heads, yes. Multiline, multifield, and or multi frame TBC, are some of my favorites to remove drop outs on tapes. Overriding auto tracking with manual tracking control is also welcome. I dont like most consumer JVC transports, but the electronics are fine most of the time. But some of the noise reduction options reduce a bit of detail.

Tony!

/

/
post #15 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

Better heads, yes. Multiline, multifield, and or multi frame TBC, are some of my favorites to remove drop outs on tapes. Overriding auto tracking with manual tracking control is also welcome. I dont like most consumer JVC transports, but the electronics are fine most of the time. But some of the noise reduction options reduce a bit of detail.

I wasn't aware that consumer-grade TBCs could do dropout compensation. Am I just behind the times? And on an out-of-date format at that?
post #16 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The wife and I finally went through our local thrift store last weekend just to see what they had. Plenty of VCRs stacked up and most had $10-15 price tags. I would bring along one of your tapes and ask to check it out before you buy.

post #17 of 18 Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
maybe, I dunno. Most of my tapes are in pretty good condition. I own a few consumer and "prosumer" decks but don't use them often enough. For my useage I do know that a deck like the Panasonic AG1980 can and will improve the tracking of a tape, due to minor drop outs. The older 1970 and 1960 was not as good in that regard.

A few of my pro digital processing video decks that have a decent amount of ram to store/process the problem video fields before output on component or composite video. Most pro decks setups can handle larger portions of dropped out video frames. Usually I get a still image of the last complete or repaired field/frame, while the audio continues going. This is until the video lines are better and "update" the still lines/fields/frames with the proper video and will continue and resync with the audio. So sometimes you can see very brief moments where half of the video frame is in syc with the audio and the other half is a still part of the image that has been retrieved from the video buffer of a previous field and or frame. This is in contrast to most auto track consumer decks which just looses tracking completely with no audio or video and tries to re sync everything from scratch with bad analog video artifacts.

Sometimes a copy of a tape can have some slightly better quality than the original.

Tony!

/

/
post #18 of 18 Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Hey,

You wrote this request last year but in searching the web trying to find out who would want to buy my Mitsubishi SVHS VRC (HS-U748) this forum came up.

Are you still looking?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page