Why is 1 of my DVD players recognizing a multisession DVD, but the other one is not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.
I have a stand alone Philips DVD Player (standard def) which plays just about every type of avi file. I also have a stand alone Pioneer DVD recorder, which doesn't play as many types of avi files as the Philips one plays.

Now, here comes the problem:

For some reason, the stand alone Pioneer dvd recorder is SEEING all 6 out of 6 files on a DVD I burned in multisession using Nero 7, and so is my computer (obviously), but the Philips player is only seeing 1/6 of the files on the disk. It is only seeing the file I burned in the first session. This is a problem because 1 of the files that I know would play on the Philips player - if it could see it - is not an avi file that works (plays) on the Pioneer recorder. So that means I can't watch that one file! But if I could just get the Philips player to recognize all the files, I know it would play it!

Why is this happening?

I think this happened once before with my Philips player only noticing the files from the first session.

Edit: I just tried finalizing the disk in Nero. I continued the 4th session of the multisession disk and checked "finalize - no further burning." But I am still having the same problem.

By the way, if you are wondering why I am burning multisession disks, it's because I don't have much room left on my hd. I have an old computer.

Thanks.
-S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Old PC Drive Capacity Issue - get a USB external HDD.

Reading Ability of DVD Players - who knows? They are ALL built with different capability and quality software, firmware and lasers. Even same brand players can have disparity.

Example - I have one of the first Sony player models with Up Conversion capability and it plays my home movie and ripped commercial discs perfectly. We bought a new player recently and it mis-reads same discs often - very frustrating.

Probably a quality control issue with the new player's factory in China - the older one was made in Japan

We have an older Panasonic 5 disc DVD player and it's read reliability is between the two Sonys.

Ya gotta read all the fine print/documentation of a player before plunking down your cash - some models are made to read most any kind of file and disc format while others can't.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page