Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
EJ
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After about 20 years of laserdisc collecting, I'm finally getting a decent player. I know everything about the format is outdated, but I just love it!

I've collected DTS discs for years, because my player had a toslink output. This is the first player I've had with an AC-3 RF output, and although I could find an adapter for around $60, I think I'll just stick with 2ch PCM. If I want 5.1, I think dolby PL-II was a major upgrade from DPL. Full range stereo surrounds compared to AM radio-quality mono surrounds.

I'd be interested to hear from fellow LD owners and get your thoughts. My 10 year-old son is into my theater equipment, his eyes lit up when I showed him a disc.

"Cool Dad!"

Former USSB uplink operator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two 704s (one a Mitsubishi rebadge, cosmetically superior in my opinion), in addition to a LD-V8000 which I am hoping to use for its advanced features, & a CLD-V710, a karaoke player which I drag around from place to place when required. The only other player I want would be a MUSE-capable unit.

Let it be understood, my LD library includes more than 500 titles, & of those a number are multi-disc sets, with as many as 24 discs. I am a big Japanese animation fan, & I use my discs to show classic & obscure anime to other fans, in my home, at conventions, at club meetings (for which I also have the occasional use of a CLD-D604), &c. Saturday I showed several episodes of Record of Lodoss War at a D&D game held in the home of an acquaintance. I have a pretty good fraction of the AC-3 anime LDs which were released, mostly in Japan. (There were no dts anime discs.) So, I'm in this for the long haul.

I have to say, I've been very pleased with this model of LD player. With good LDs, it gives pleasing results. With bad discs, of course, nothing is going to be of too much help.

Guide to connecting your LaserDisc Player  NTSC, PAL, & MUSE
MUSE decoder information, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11