Panasonic DVD-S48, s68 DivX playback? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a questions regarding Panasonic standard def DVD players. There are quite a few online ads for the Panasone DVD-s48 and s68, sold already converted to region free. The reason I am interested in these models is they have a USB port on the front. I downloaded the manuals for both from Panasonic. Unfortunately the specs say that DivX playback from USB is only available on Canadian models. US models will play mp3s and allow you to view jpg format photos from a flash drive.

Is there a firmware update to enable DivX playback? Any reason US consumers are not allowed to have this option? Strange, very strange.

Either way I still need a region free player. Panasonic tends to be a difficult one to hack yourself.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 AM

i just purchased the DVD-S68 thinking it would play DivX after looking at different reviews. However it does not if you have the US version (model number has a P or PP). After a few days scouring the net I'm going to return the player. I have looked on various country Panasonic sites (US,Canada,Japan) trying to find the Canada firmware but with now luck. I even tried to flash it with a older firmware dvd-s59 the player just says unsupported disc. At last I'm forced to give up and move on to a different unit.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Unfortunately both Panasonic and Sony restrict Divx to Canadian models only
Too much media control in this country for the big boys to play nice.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick2 View Post

At last I'm forced to give up and move on to a different unit.

Checkout Post #4 and onward in this recent thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1364621

Haier DVD110, no hacks or modded firmware required. Region free, card slot, Divx video via USB. Good assortment of inputs/outputs on the back as well.

Not exactly name brand but inexpensive.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Haier is actually a huge brand - they build tons of washing machines for whirlpool and:

"Haier was the first Chinese company to build a factory in the U.S. -- a refrigerator plant in Camden, S.C., in 2000."

"Also in 2002, Haier moved into a landmark building in midtown Manhattan." - They renamed it the Haier building: http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/42597744.jpg
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm in the market for a SD DVD player for a bedroom and have looked up the manual for the s68 player. Does anyone that has the player know if the "Display" screen shows the time elapsed as well as the total time of the movie? I know that some Panasonic players have this and some don't where it will only show the time elapsed but not the total time. Also, I would like (but not as important) a player with a digital clock on the front display when it is turned off. Not sure if Panasonic even makes them with a clock anymore?

lujan
705 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 92
My S47 allows remaining time to be displayed and the nice thing is it can be silent, that is you can have it display on the units front display and NOT be OSD. The only drawback is it always defaults back to elapsed time after the disc is ejected. To get in remaining time you must push DISPLAY then go to the option for remaining time and check the box. Takes less than 10 seconds but I'd still like to have it default to remaining. AFA clock, I've never seen that feature on a Panasonic player, DVD Recorders have a clock but never on a player.
Again my experience is with a S47 so if the S48 or S68 are different I apologize but generally Panasonic stays pretty similar within different models.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

My S47 allows remaining time to be displayed and the nice thing is it can be silent, that is you can have it display on the units front display and NOT be OSD. The only drawback is it always defaults back to elapsed time after the disc is ejected. To get in remaining time you must push DISPLAY then go to the option for remaining time and check the box. Takes less than 10 seconds but I'd still like to have it default to remaining. AFA clock, I've never seen that feature on a Panasonic player, DVD Recorders have a clock but never on a player.
Again my experience is with a S47 so if the S48 or S68 are different I apologize but generally Panasonic stays pretty similar within different models.

That makes sense my old Panny was a recorder and it had a clock but I never used the recording feature so thought I go with a cheaper player than a recorder. I might wait until black Friday and see if the players are really cheap as I don't need it immediately.

lujan
705 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page