Denon DVD 3910 DVD-A & SACD help!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a 3910 to use as an SACD and DVD-A transport (I hope??) in my fairly high-end 2-channel system. Problem is, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Currently I have the 3910 connected as follows: I have connected the Denon's optical "toslink" output to the optical digital input of my Cambridge Audio Azur 740C (vII) CD player, which has dual Wolfson 8740 DACs and 24-bit upsampling 192/384 capabilities (it makes a great external DAC). I have also connected the 3910's analog outs directly to my Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp's analog ins through high quality interconnects. I read the owner's manual, best as I could, and hooked the 3910 to a video monitor to use the onscreen programming. I activated the digital out feature, set the player for Audio, selected 2-channel on the digital selection, turned SRS off, turned bass management off, and otherwise tried to follow the (POORLY WRITTEN) manual's instruction for playing DVD-A and SACD through the digital outs. Problem is, the Denon will output most of my DVD-As through the analog outputs only. I don't normally have a video monitor in my listening room, so I haven't played with the setup menu since. I did call Denon USA, and they were totally useless. Suggestions from fellow 3910 users or experts please!! (BTW, the Denon's DACs are pretty darn good; the SACD playback through the analog cables is beautiful!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
No player will play SACD (DSD) via toslink (s/pdif). The 3910 will do it with iLink - I'm pretty sure the 3910 has iLink, but it's been quite a while since I used one. Although iLink is dead for the most part. S/PDIF can do 24/96 PCM (contained on some DVD-A discs) but most players won't do it when reading a DVD-A.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM

The only way to get DVD-A/SACD out of a player is with Analog and HDMI. (note the 3910 does NOT do HDMI hi-res audio...ie SACD/DVD-A)

Dig-coax and Tos-link have never been part of the program.

So, there is no reason to hook up the Tos-link to the Azur 740C.

And yes, Denon likes to be more confusing than necessary, especially when you have the "SACD sub menu" that you have to access every time you want to play SACD. If you don't access the "SACD sub menu" at the right time, you won't play the DSD, you'll get standard redbook.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

So all is not lost? I can still transmit the high res dvd-a & sacd hi-res 2-channel signal from the Denon directly to my preamp through the analog outputs, as long as I access the SACD sub-menu (for SACDs) before playing the discs? I quess that means I need to buy a cheap monitor to put in my listening room so I can access the onscreen programming to select the SACD setup menu. Do I have the gist of it?
post #5 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have connected the Denon universal players to Denon AVR-3805 digitally via Denon Link III. That digital link can carry the digital DSD and hi-res PCM - in stereo and surround mode.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Yes you "can" use an ethernet between the two, I prefer the analog connection...

And yes, you "need" a monitor, unless you remember the procedure for SACD.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

The OpAmps in Denons are tipical mid-grade ones, encrusted in japanese engineering minds.
On my Denons I did replace them with modern ones (like LM4562 or AD8599) and added some decoupling capacitors in places that where already marked on boards. That added a sensible improvement on SQ. I would say that is the biggest return in quality that you can get as modding goes.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
The only way to get DVD-A/SACD out of a player is with Analog and HDMI.
This is not correct as a general matter, and definitely not correct with the 3910.

The 3910 will pass along the SACD and DVD-A bitstreams through two outputs: Denon's proprietary Denon Link format and the legacy iLink/FireWire/IEEE 1394 format.

Denon Link is unique to and usable only within Denon equipment. While currently in its Fourth Generation, the final software upgrade for the 3910 was for the Third Generation.

iLink (Sony's name) - FireWire (Apple's name) is a non-proprietary format for high-speed data communication. It used to be widely available in Sony, Denon, Pioneer, Apple, etc. equipment.

The 3910 has outputs for both formats. Thus, all digital data - SACD, DVD-A, PCM, AC-3, DTS - is made available to any outboard receiver, preamp, or processor with an iLink input, or a Denon model with a Denon Link input. PCM, AC-3 and DTS data are also available through optical and coaxial outputs.

The 3910 cannot output SACD or DVD-A data through HDMI. I am pretty certain that a downmix is not available through HDMI (not 100% sure). If a disc also contains PCM data, it can be output through HDMI.

Making the data and bit streams available through the iLink or Denon Link output jacks requires setup in the player. A (somewhat confusing) manual, proper cables, and some patience is required. It IS worth the effort: even PCM reproduction is far superior through either of the two formats than through the S/PDIF (TOSLINK and coaxial) outputs.

Regards,

- Hunter
post #9 of 17 Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 AM

^^^

Thanks for clarifying what I already said regarding the Denon-link(if you had read any of the subsequent posts, especially the second above your own)
post #10 of 17 Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

As a curiosity, Denon Link III is the last that can output digital SACD (DSD) and DVD-A (LPCM). Denon Link 4 is just providing a reverse path for clock in a HDMI connection.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
This is not correct as a general matter, and definitely not correct with the 3910.

The 3910 will pass along the SACD and DVD-A bitstreams through two outputs: Denon's proprietary Denon Link format and the legacy iLink/FireWire/IEEE 1394 format.

Denon Link is unique to and usable only within Denon equipment. While currently in its Fourth Generation, the final software upgrade for the 3910 was for the Third Generation.

iLink (Sony's name) - FireWire (Apple's name) is a non-proprietary format for high-speed data communication. It used to be widely available in Sony, Denon, Pioneer, Apple, etc. equipment.

The 3910 has outputs for both formats. Thus, all digital data - SACD, DVD-A, PCM, AC-3, DTS - is made available to any outboard receiver, preamp, or processor with an iLink input, or a Denon model with a Denon Link input. PCM, AC-3 and DTS data are also available through optical and coaxial outputs.

The 3910 cannot output SACD or DVD-A data through HDMI. I am pretty certain that a downmix is not available through HDMI (not 100% sure). If a disc also contains PCM data, it can be output through HDMI.

Making the data and bit streams available through the iLink or Denon Link output jacks requires setup in the player. A (somewhat confusing) manual, proper cables, and some patience is required. It IS worth the effort: even PCM reproduction is far superior through either of the two formats than through the S/PDIF (TOSLINK and coaxial) outputs.
The 3910 will send DVD audio as PCM via HDMI cable. The 3910 won't output SACD through HDMI at all. You must use the analog output from the 3910 get SACD audio.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSweikert View Post

So all is not lost? I can still transmit the high res dvd-a & sacd hi-res 2-channel signal from the Denon directly to my preamp through the analog outputs, as long as I access the SACD sub-menu (for SACDs) before playing the discs? I quess that means I need to buy a cheap monitor to put in my listening room so I can access the onscreen programming to select the SACD setup menu. Do I have the gist of it?

You do not need a monitor to play SACDs through the analog outputs. You do need a monitor to navigate the disc menus on a DVD-A and begin playing it.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 PM

I am using a Peachtree Nova 125 amp that doesn't have DLink. Can I connect through RCA analog stereo and get this to work? Understand I wont get 5.1 sound.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yes.

Regards,

- Hunter
post #15 of 17 Old 12-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayess View Post

I am using a Peachtree Nova 125 amp that doesn't have DLink. Can I connect through RCA analog stereo and get this to work? Understand I wont get 5.1 sound.
Use the Stereo Mix output and you won't loose any information when playing 5.1 formats.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 AM

I set the SACD setting to Stereo and that didn't make a difference. I am connected through digital coax.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Digital Coax doesn't carry the SACD. It could, but Sony decided that not secure enough.
Read the manual.
You can connect only the player Analog Outs to your Amp. They are not bad at all...
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Denon Dvd 3910s Progressive Scan Dvd A Sacd Universal Player Silver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page