I am pleased to share that the repairs to the video circuit have been completed and my CLD-D704 has been returned to service. My daughter and I were able to enjoy Alladin (CAV Letterbox version) as a test disk last night.
Summary notes - (things for others to consider)
- Make sure that if you are going to take over your wife's sewing table as a technology repair work bench that she is okay with it and the time that it will not be usable by her. (almost justified the cost of shipping)
- Although I did disconnect all three boards from the right side of chassis (this is required) I elected to not disconnect the boards from each other (they are connected by pins and ribbon cables etc). This facilitates re-assembly but it means that you have to carefully move the cluster of loose boards as an assembly to get at the solder points.
- Where the capacitor was soldered to the main-board , there appeared to be a yellowish / varnish substance on one of the solder joints. This was only on the + leg of capacitor and the negative lead looked clean. I can only presume that this occurred during the board assembly at the plant during manufacturing.
- The replacement capacitor was not too difficult to locate and took me a few hours and visiting 3 different electronic component stores. Kurtis will normally upgrade this component better than the OEM when he repairs this circuit but I was not able to locally source the 'Low ESR' (Equivalent Series Resistance) version he recommended.
- The IC Protection circuit requires an IC component that I was just not able to get locally in either its original form or as a cross-referenced substitute. (it does appear to be easily available in the US) Once again Kurtis stepped up and suggested an alternate approach that provides the same level of protection as the original IC but is not as pretty or professional looking.
- Locating the correct points to unsolder on the back of the board and correlating them to the components you need to remove on the front was a challenge (read P.I.T.A) that I did not expect (I got lucky the four times I needed though)
- I am getting old
To the point, soldering on the back of a main board with solder points that are a dime's width apart requires a steady , steady , steady hand. (once again I got lucky the four times I needed)
- Patient reassembly took a little under an hour and this was better than I had expected.
If anyone has any questions about my experience feel free to send me a PM and I will share what I can.
Once again I would recommend you send your unit to an expert such as Kurtis if it is demonstrating the symptoms describes in this thread. I would be remiss if I did not thank him , once again, for his assistance and support. Without his experience and guidance I would not have been able to make this repair.