Sony DVP-NS710H remote unresponsive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the DVP-NS710H for eighteen months and I'm very pleased with it. Upconverted picture quality over HDMI is excellent and artifacts seen on older DVDs that were prominent on older players are now well hidden.
My only negative comment is that when alternate DTS soundtracks are selected and sent over HDMI all you get is silence. My solution is to use a separate digital audio coaxial connection that goes straight to the receiver bypassing the TV, a necessary connection anyway if you want to play CDs without turning the TV on, so this negative comment is no biggie.

Recently my DVP-NS710H's remote has become unresponsive, sometimes it works, most times it doesn't, I've tried changing the batteries that did no good. The problem is I'm not sure if its the remote or the sensor on the front panel of DVD player that is at fault. I noticed a couple of recent reviews at Amazon have mentioned the same problem. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Thanks, Trevor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I would guess it's the remote. If you have a universal type of remote it would be easy to verify. If not and you have a digital camera or cell phone or camcorder you could try pointing the remote at it and you should see the IR light up fairly bright through the viewfinder.
I have many Sony DVD players up to the previous years 700 and haven't had problems with any of the remotes like your describing.
You might want to check the battery connections inside the remote, if they are corroded that might explain things.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jjeff, I don't believe it's the remote's transmit LED or the players receive sensor because both the player and TV power (green) buttons work fine. I'm starting to believe it's the up down left right buttons that are mainly to blame. There's a chance the contact area could need cleaning but I've never had the remote apart, sounds like its time.
It's interesting that several people wrote comments on the Amazon reviews of this player with a similar problem!!!!
Trevor.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

This getting increasingly annoying. The arrows, enter, and play buttons are temperamental. Does anyone know of an inexpensive solution? Are there cheap universal remotes where you enter the model # and it automatically takes up the new identity?
Thanks, Trevor.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Here I go answering my own questions again, it seems to happen a lot. I found a Sony universal remote (RMTZ220) $10 at Amazon. In looking thru the remote's documentation there are only two codes for Sony DVD players. I have a remote from an older DVD player and, lo and behold, it works great with the newer DVD player. I hope this helps others.
Trevor.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page