New HD TV - now some DVDs won't work - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Visio e552vl yesterday. When I try to use the DVD player now some of my DVDs won't play correctly. Some still work, but others do not. The DVDs worked fine on my old TV connection. Now the DVDs will play full audio, but the video flashes on and off every second. One second you can see the picture, next second the screen is black, next second it is back on and this scenario continues for the duration of the movie. Is there something I can adjust on the TV to make this video issue stop when using my DVD player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It would help to know which DVD player and what connections you're using. Is this issue happening with any other source?

Kind of sounds like an HDMI issue, if you're using that connection.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Usually that is happening if you are routing the DVD thru the VHS player. What you see is Macrovision (Rovi) analog protection in effect.
You need to connect directly the DVD to the TV...

If you are connected directly, the TV is not adjusted properly and reacts falsly to that signal. I would take it back.
Quote:
On most televisions, these pulses cause no visible effects because their automatic gain control circuitry, unlike AGC circuits within VCRs, is purposely engineered to not react to them. Very old televisions, however, would react to them, producing distorted images as a result. On some TVs that do not properly blank the vertical retrace, dotted white lines additionally appear near the top of the picture. Some newer TVs also mistake the Macrovision pulses for synchronization pulses.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

It would help to know which DVD player and what connections you're using. Is this issue happening with any other source?

Kind of sounds like an HDMI issue, if you're using that connection.

I am not at home, but the DVD player is like a 5 year old DVD \\ VCR made by Sony. It was connected to the TV via one of those cables that has three colors. It was connected into the Component section. Some DVDs work and some the audio is all there, but the video blinks off and on every second.

Is there a setting that can be changed on a Visio e552vl to make this work?

Is there a cable that converts from 3 connectors on one side to an HDMI connection on the other end?

This is not happening with any other source. DVD played fine from a PC a buddy hooked up to it.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by queticomike View Post

I am not at home, but the DVD player is like a 5 year old DVD \\ VCR made by Sony. It was connected to the TV via one of those cables that has three colors. It was connected into the Component section. Some DVDs work and some the audio is all there, but the video blinks off and on every second.

Is there a setting that can be changed on a Visio e552vl to make this work?

Is there a cable that converts from 3 connectors on one side to an HDMI connection on the other end?

This is not happening with any other source. DVD played fine from a PC a buddy hooked up to it.

Do you have component connections selected in the menu of both the TV and the DVD player?

You may also want to try the composite video connection instead of the component connection.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
There is no menu setting to get rid of Macrovision. You can try a digital connection, since that is not protected by analog copy-protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page