Not sure which portable dvd player to get of the 2 below - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am looking to purchase a portable DVD player. Of the 2 I have numbered it down to, they are:

1. Panasonic DVD-LS92 9-Inch Screen Portable DVD Player
or

2. Sony DVP-FX970 9-Inch Portable DVD Player

Both have good and bad reviews. Any help is much appreciated. Things that I am looking for in a dvd player that got me to these 2 are:

1. good picture and sound
2. thin
3. good battery life

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I would suggest the Sony more for reliability than anything else. I don't have the 9" Sony but rather the cheaper 7"(I think FX750). My main complaints about the 750 is the resolution isn't the best and the battery doesn't last more than a long movie, both of these complaints seem to be mitigated on the FX970.
Don't get me wrong, Panasonic makes some nice gear but again for something like a portable DVD player reliability is a major concern, especially if kids will be using it. I went through several cheaper players(no name brand) and they all failed within a year or two, while the Sony is only a year old it seems much better built than the $50 black Friday specials I had previously.
Not sure where you are planning on purchasing but last I checked Costco had a pretty good price on the 970, almost what I paid for my 750 AFAIR
Oh another nice feature of the Sony(I'd think the 970 would also have this) is disc resume. Even after turning off the player upon power up it can resume where you left off. This feature alone makes the Sony worth it, to me anyway, although I'm not positive the Panny doesn't also have it, I haven't really researched it.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I would suggest the Sony more for reliability than anything else. I don't have the 9" Sony but rather the cheaper 7"(I think FX750). My main complaints about the 750 is the resolution isn't the best and the battery doesn't last more than a long movie, both of these complaints seem to be mitigated on the FX970.
Don't get me wrong, Panasonic makes some nice gear but again for something like a portable DVD player reliability is a major concern, especially if kids will be using it. I went through several cheaper players(no name brand) and they all failed within a year or two, while the Sony is only a year old it seems much better built than the $50 black Friday specials I had previously.
Not sure where you are planning on purchasing but last I checked Costco had a pretty good price on the 970, almost what I paid for my 750 AFAIR
Oh another nice feature of the Sony(I'd think the 970 would also have this) is disc resume. Even after turning off the player upon power up it can resume where you left off. This feature alone makes the Sony worth it, to me anyway, although I'm not positive the Panny doesn't also have it, I haven't really researched it.

Is the 750 think or pretty thin for a portable dvd player?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It's kind of clunky IMO but for my kids use, it's quite heavy duty.
Note the 7" is quite different than the 9" you are looking at. For one the 9" can be swiveled and laid back down upon itself, so it's kind of like a tablet. The 7" only opens up and has to be open to work.
The 970 looks to have a 800x480 resolution screen and 6hr battery.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666309706

The LS92 has a 320x240(very poor IMO) QVGA sceeen and a 9hr battery life. The Panny also lacks a remote control(several reviewers questioned this).
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DVD-LS92?t=faqs
It's hard to believe the Panny has such a poor resolution screen, I thought the 480x234 was poor on my 7" screen, I can only imagine what 320x240 would look like on a 9" screen Nice long life battery on the Panny though.
Note it doesn't look like the Panny screen can swivel, if that matters to you. Oh and I did verify the Sony has the 1 disc resume feature.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

It's kind of clunky IMO but for my kids use, it's quite heavy duty.
Note the 7" is quite different than the 9" you are looking at. For one the 9" can be swiveled and laid back down upon itself, so it's kind of like a tablet. The 7" only opens up and has to be open to work.
The 970 looks to have a 800x480 resolution screen and 6hr battery.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666309706

The LS92 has a 320x240(very poor IMO) QVGA sceeen and a 9hr battery life. The Panny also lacks a remote control(several reviewers questioned this).
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DVD-LS92?t=faqs
It's hard to believe the Panny has such a poor resolution screen, I thought the 480x234 was poor on my 7" screen, I can only imagine what 320x240 would look like on a 9" screen Nice long life battery on the Panny though.
Note it doesn't look like the Panny screen can swivel, if that matters to you. Oh and I did verify the Sony has the 1 disc resume feature.

I am leaning towards the sony based on this, Where did you see the Panasonic has such a low res? I cant find it on that link under tech specs
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdown00 View Post

I am leaning towards the sony based on this, Where did you see the Panasonic has such a low res? I cant find it on that link under tech specs

It's under the technical specifications tab on my link for the Panasonic, then on the line that says LCD Monitor (Widescreen), it says 9" QVGA and according to Wikipedia QVGA is listed as 320x240
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qvga#QVGA
Sony actually lists the resolution in numbers but Panasonic just says QVGA and apparently QVGA has a real number associated with it.
It's possible??? Panasonic has made a mistake and it should be some other nomenclature, but you'd hope they proofread their website...
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.redtag.com/auctions/produ...onid=905066951
$79 for a 950 seems to be a great deal, less than I paid for my 7"
Looks like 1 1/2 hr better battery on the 950 vs the newer 970, 6 vs 7.5hrs. I have no idea how long this deal is good for.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page