CLD-D704: Disc Spin-up and Audio Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My CLD-D704 has been sitting for a while. I tried to fire it up the other night, and was disappointed to find that it now has problems. Non-clamp problems.

Issue 1: When loading a disc, it is hesitant to spin it up in the "traditional" sense. Meaning, if you close the tray by pressing the eject or play buttons, the tray retracts, the laser assembly makes a little whirring noise for a few seconds, then the tray ejects. It works fine, however, if you hit the B-side button or if you power down with the tray extended, let it retract and park, then turn it back on and press play. I've got the cover pulled now; if I nudge the laser assembly towards the rear of the player before putting in the disc, it works okay. But I let it play both sides out and re-park the assembly, and the problem came back.

Issue 2: No right channel audio, either from the rear panel or the headphone jack. I don't have anything with an optical input, so I can't tell if it's both the analog and digital stages, but I fear that the player may have gotten dropped hard during my last move, and something broke loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Issue 1: If you are not having the clamp issues then the slipping load belt is the other possibility but to me I do think you have the clamp issue. With the top off if the metal mechanical assembly raises all the way up without needing assistance then the load belt is OK. As for the clamp it can be different LD to LD depending on if the LD thickness is at the max or min side of the spec. Another test would be CD's will never have clamp issues. If you ever have the issue where the LD does not stop when you press stop but slows down and then free spins to a stop you have clamp issues. You needs to clean the clamp surface on the spindle motor and see if things improve.

Issue 2: Sounds like you are getting analog sound only. If you are playing a LD that has AC-3 encoded then you will only get left audio. I'm gathering if you press the Audio button to switch between analog and digital sound it does not fix the problem. If not then you probably have a power issue on the Audio board that needs to be repaired.

Kurtis
post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kurtis, you are a treasure to the community. I've noticed that nearly every single Google search for troubleshooting these old tanks has your responses in it.

So, it looks like it was clamp after all. It just seemed odd that spinning the disc one way wouldn't work, but the other worked fine.

It does seem, though, that the audio is the bigger issue. Digital audio, I'm only getting left channel with occasional static and hiss on the right, LDs and CDs. Analog, both channels work fine.

I figure that there's probably somewhere in Los Angeles that can service these things, but is it worth it? What's the going rate for LD player repair these days?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What I have normally seen is the power bad going to the right channel DAC. Most repair shops will just want to swap the audio board. Bayview Electronics in Olympia Washington or myself in Virginia are a few of the people left that will trouble shoot the board. I charge $50 an hour plus return shipping.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page