Which of these three for personal backups? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a high volume of personal backup DVDs, all standard-def. (I don't own any HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray, either one, and don't anticipate getting them.)

I've been impressed with the flexibility of the Sony NS-9100ES, but the audio is brittle and the picture could be of a slightly better quality, too. I had some iffy luck with the Oppo line, and would prefer not to go back there. My Pioneer DV-79Avi was a killer on video and above average on audio but didn't hold up, build-wise. Neither did my Marantz 7100, which was dead in about a week. Not all of these were capable of AV-sync adjustment, A-B repeat, or on-the-fly toggling between audio encryptions, either. (***I need multichannel analog audio outputs, by the way, because my amp has no on-board decoding.***)

So here's the question: What does everyone think of the Arcam DV-139 vs the Toshiba HD-XA2, vs the Sony 9100 I had a few turns ago? I know they're not in the same format-point but they're fetching about the same amount on the resale market, and all I'm looking for is the player that will do me the best job, regardless of what it was actually made for.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts, first and foremost as applies to the question of their ability to handle backup media. If one of these chokes a lot, and the other one doesn't, we're at a hard stop. I'd also like to know if there were any thoughts about video quality differences, audio quality differences (I hear the Arcam is very good), functionailty, build quality, and ease of operation.

Thanks.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page