Momitsu V880 - Res to 1080p display? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got an Epson 8700ub 1080p projector, also a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, but I shipped the Panasonic back to Amazon today (no subtitle button on remote, a show stopper). So, until I order a Blu-ray player, my old Momitsu V880 is all I have. It's OK, I only have one BD title, hundreds of DVDs to upconvert to the Epson (beautiful display). My old Sanyo PLV-Z2 PJ was 720p, so that's the res the Momitsu's set at now. Have to believe that's not appropriate for the Epson. What res should I set my Momitsu at out to the 1080p native Epson?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Try them all and see what looks best. 480i , 480p and 1080p would involve the least amount of video processing. 720p and 1080i would require extra work. Color space could make a difference also. I don't know if the Momitsu lets you select between RGB, YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Try them all and see what looks best. 480i , 480p and 1080p would involve the least amount of video processing. 720p and 1080i would require extra work. Color space could make a difference also. I don't know if the Momitsu lets you select between RGB, YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.

larry

Thanks. Well, the Momitsu from Nov. 2003 knows nothing from 1080p. I think those other res's are available. I set it yesterday to 1080i, doesn't look too bad from the Epson. Which among the following would be best?

480i
480p
1080i

I'm using component cabling (tri-cable), could use a DVI-HDMI cable, but I'd have to run it, the components were already there so I used them. Running a cable in my setup is a PITA, doable, but this is temporary until I get my new BD player, so I figure component connections are OK.

"I don't know if the Momitsu lets you select between RGB, YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4."

Sorry, I don't understand that stuff! The Momitsu has a lot of capabilities, so maybe yeah. Could you please explain?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM

With 480i output the projector does deinterlacing to 480p and then scaling to 1080p. With 480p output the player does the deinterlacing to 480p and then the projector scales to 1080p. So the difference would be which has the better deinterlacer. Bad deinterlacing is somewhat obvious if you know what to look for.

IIRC for 1080i output, the player would deinterlace to 480p, scale to 1080p and from that make 1080i output. Then the projector would have to deinterlace the 1080i to 1080p. This involves extra work compared to outputting 480i or 480p. Rule of thumb says the less video processing the better.

DVDs are encoded in YCbCr 4:2:0. It's a way to "compress" the color components to save space. The MPEG decoder in a DVD player converts the YCbCr 4:2:0 to YCbCr 4:2:2 via a process called chroma upsampling. Ultimately this YCbCr 4:2:2 has to be converted to RGB for output by the projector. In order to get to RGB you have to get to YCbCr 4:4:4 first - uncompressed color components. Converting back and forth from YCbCr 4:4:4 to RGB is just simple math but can cause some "truncation" of some values in some circumstances. So, sometimes it does make a difference where these color space conversions take place in the video output chain.

That's all I'm going to say because it gets somewhat complicated and requires test discs and such. Bottom line is that if you like what you see, use it. If you want to investigate and learn more about this and display calibration a good place to start is the Spears and Munsil website. Even though their test disc is a BD, some of their white papers describe things in general before using examples with their disc. Some of their test patterns do exist on SD calibration discs. http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/

Have fun!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

With 480i output the projector does deinterlacing to 480p and then scaling to 1080p. With 480p output the player does the deinterlacing to 480p and then the projector scales to 1080p. So the difference would be which has the better deinterlacer. Bad deinterlacing is somewhat obvious if you know what to look for.

IIRC for 1080i output, the player would deinterlace to 480p, scale to 1080p and from that make 1080i output. Then the projector would have to deinterlace the 1080i to 1080p. This involves extra work compared to outputting 480i or 480p. Rule of thumb says the less video processing the better.

The player can't scale to 1080p, that standard didn't exist in 2003, I don't believe. Am I wrong about that?

What does the player start off with when reading a DVD? 480i or 480p?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM

1080p existed, output from players and native res 1080p displays probably didn't.

480i is what comes out of the MPEG decoder in the player. It's the least processed-by-the player output you can have.

larry

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page