Normal DVD Player vs upconverting DVD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I have a 32" Soniq HD TV, connected to it is a a Samsung DVD/VCR V6-700 combo player, and a Panasonic DVD-268GN-K upconverting DVD Player'.

Anyway I was just wondering why the DVD side on the combo seems to give me a brighter picture with what seems to be more vivid on my HD TV then what my upcoverting DVD player does. Now to be fair, the upconverting DVD player hooked up obviously via HDMI gives me a cleaner, more crisp quality but at the same time its also warmer/softer.

The combo player is obviously hooked up with standard RCA red and white cables and as I mentioned the upconverter runs through a HDMI cable.

So anyway overall, is there a way that maybe I can get my upconverter to look a bit brighter similar to what the combo gives me? Can anyone recommend some rough configuration settings so I can get the absolute best quality out of my upconverting player please? Because the sharper look on the upconverter is definitely favorable, but I don't like how much softer it is. So its the softer/warmer aspect of the quality that I would like fixed.

I would appreciate it greatly.

currently the video settings on my upconverter are as follows:

Brightness - 6

Contrast - 5

Hue - minus 1

Saturation - 3

Sharpness - 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 151
You need to calibrate each input on the TV where the players are connected. If TV does not "remember" settings for each input, then you have to compromise some how. Ideally you want to leave the players at "neutral" settings hoping they output what's on the disc instead of modifying the data. If the player is giving accurate data, then you calibrate the TV to match the input with test/calibration discs and such. And then you have the best chance of seeing what's on the disc as it was intended to be seen.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 4 Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

So what you are saying PooperScooper is that I should put the video settings on the player back to default like they originally were before I just manually adjusted them myself, and just use the actual picture display mode on the actual TV itself to get it how I want it?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

bump.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page