Is an upconverting DVD player really necessary for an HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two DVD players that upconvert... Sony DVP-NS77H DVD Player and Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player. Both have excellent reviews about how well they upconvert. Well, I also have the Xbox (the first Xbox, NOT the 360). It doesn't upconvert. So, I just hooked it up to my Samsung HDTV via component and it plays the DVDs at 480i and my TV upcoverts it. Strange as it may seem, the Xbox delivers the best picture quality out of the 3 players I have.

Based on this experiment, I have to wonder if it's really worth paying extra for an upconverting DVD player. As long as the DVD player can send a 480i signal via component, I would think that would be good enough if your TV has a decent upscaler.

So, are upconverting DVD players really necessary if your TV already has a good built-in upscaler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

So, are upconverting DVD players really necessary if your TV already has a good built-in upscaler?

No, it just gives you the choice as to where scaling occurs. Same for deinterlacing: whether you send 480i to the display, or deinterlace in the player and send 480p.

Proper calibration of the display for each input will make a big difference as well.

-Bill
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Can you even buy a non-upconverting DVD player anymore? Other than those $20 housebrand/no-name jobs? Heck, most DVD players are being phased out as blu-ray players have dropped in price (and dot he same thing.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Can you even buy a non-upconverting DVD player anymore? Other than those $20 housebrand/no-name jobs? Heck, most DVD players are being phased out as blu-ray players have dropped in price (and dot he same thing.)

I notice Blu-ray players load DVDs a lot slower. I'd rather have a separate player for DVDs as I don't want to wear out the BD player faster and DVD players are more responsive and faster when playing DVDs.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
As far as the original question goes, no, you do not need an upconverting DVD player. In fact, it actually is a redundant feature since all TVs will upconvert any images depending on how you have the TV settings.

It actually depends whether the DVD player with upconvert has better quality circuitry or the TV. As an example, I have a couple Philips upconvert DVD players from about 5 years ago. They actually look better on some TVS using the S-Video than component. I also have a 4 year old Samsung DVD player and the component video looks better than the HDMI on the TV it is connected to. Then, there is the Denon 955S (same as a Denon 2910) and a Toshiba HD-XA2 and those players upconvert DVDs better than any TV I have had.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

I notice Blu-ray players load DVDs a lot slower. I'd rather have a separate player for DVDs as I don't want to wear out the BD player faster and DVD players are more responsive and faster when playing DVDs.

Most of the BD failures I've read about here have been failure of the laser, not the drive. DVD's use a separate laser so that may minimize your concern about failure. Typical post would be my player doesn't recognize my Blu-rays anymore but DVD's play fine.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page