Judder on PAL to NTSC transfers -- HELP!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help/explanation on a problem I'm having. I own several PAL to NTSC transfers of rare films on DVD-R's (it's the only way they are available with English subtitles). When I play them on my SONY BDP-350, I get some very serious judder. However, when I play them on my old TOSHIBA Region-free 4900, they are fine. Both players are connected to the same SONY LCD. Is there any way to correct this problem? Does this have anything to do with connectors (Sony is connected by HDMI - Toshiba not).
Also, I'm thinking of upgrading in the future to a region-free OPPO 93. Am I likely to have this problem on that player as well?
Any replies are much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That is normal if the DVD player wants to convert the PAL to NTSC. Even the TV companies cannot get rid of judder completelly when they convert 50Hz shows to 60Hz.
The TV should the one to be able to switch between PAL and NTSC. Set the player to output the native signal (some have that labeled as Auto) and TV should be able to sync on 50Hz (instead of 60Hz for NTSC). That sync at 50Hz on TV side eliminates the judder.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page