Component cables that don't support 480i? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, my home theater system doesn't support progressive scan, so all it can output is a 480i signal. I've purchased 2 sets of component cables from Best Buy, one being their cheapest which came with a TV I bought from them, and another being a higher quality, ~$30 cable- I would assume they are YPbPr since that's what nearly every consumer device here in the US is, but they don't explicitly state that on the packaging (typical). The problem is, with any 480i source the picture doesn't show any blue- unplugging the blue portion of the cable from either the TV or DVD player makes no difference whatsoever. I brought both cables to a friend's house who has a progressive scan DVD player with a little hardware switch in the back to change between progressive and interlaced. When his player is set to interlaced mode it has the same issue, no blue. The cables both worked fine with progressive scan enabled.

So, is this a common or at least heard of problem, a color missing in interlaced mode? Are they just really crappy cables and I shouldn't go to Best Buy ever again? My best guess is manufacturers are just trying to cut costs assuming people don't use 480i (oh woe is the decline of the CRT), and are somehow removing 480i support from their cables. I don't want to have to buy a whole new home theater system just to get the quality component has to offer, and I'd prefer not to use composite for obvious reasons. I was considering purchasing cables from monoprice.com (where I usually buy my cables) but I want to get some sort of guarantee they would work; their live support wasn't very helpful in that regard. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Unfortunately, you really need to start thinking about using HDMI and not component video signals. 480i is not quite on the decline. In fact, that's the only analog video signal that new Blu-ray players will provide for the next year or two. After that, new disc players will not be allowed to have any analog video outputs at all, only HDMI frown.gif

Video cables don't/can't discriminate against 480i. If anything, they're worse at carrying higher frequency signals (like 1080p) than they are at carrying the relatively low frequencies used by 480i. My guess is that one of the cables in the set has a defective connector. You just had the bad luck to get two sets of cables with the same problem. As a test, you can change which cable is connected to which connector. Be sure to change it at both ends. If one of the cables is faulty, the colors will change. If a bad cable is connected to the Y (green) output, you'll get no video at all, since that connection carries the sync signals.

The three cables used for component video really are the same design as you would use for a single cable to carry composite video. There just happen to be three of them with color-coded connectors. You could use the same cables to transport RGB (with sync on green), too. You also could use three completely separate composite video cables to carry the three component video signals, so long as you're careful to connect each cable to the same connector at both ends.

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, that just complicates things further. I have a computer out in the garage with a graphics card in it that can output component, and an old CRT with component inputs to hook it up to. Tried the cables both out there and with the DVD player inside and both are missing blue. Tried switching the red and the blue of the cables on both ends, and there's still no blue. Tried substituting 1 color with a composite video cable, and it didn't matter which color I swapped, there was still no blue. So that seems to mean that it's not even the cables- so what the heck is going on? If I've tried 2 televisions, 3 different output devices, and 2 cables + composite substitutions, and they all are missing a color, what does that mean? Should I try to get 3 composite cables together and try them out? I'm desperate at this point...
post #4 of 4 Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Just to be thorough... double check that you're really using YPbPr compononent signals both for sources and TV inputs, and that one of them is not RGB. Otherwise, at this point I'm left wondering if somehow the inputs on both of the TVs got fried, perhaps due to the same event.

Selden
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page