AVS Club Gold
Join Date: Feb 2001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious about this too. I had a Panasonic CP72 SDI dvd carousel and a DVDO VP50 but I sold it. I am wondering what is the best dvd player option out there. Right now I have:
1) Another Panasonic CP72 with no mods and one with region free mod (Faroudja FLI2200 for de-interlacing)
2) An older Panasonic CV51 with only interlaced output (supposedly mpeg decoder second best compared to the CP72/RP82 mpeg decoding. I think the same mpeg decoder as the RP62)
3) Panasonic F85 (generic chips...just using this on an old CRT downstairs basement TV) no good progresive output
4) Marantz VC 6001 (x 2) . Universal dvd/sacd player with region free and pal to ntsc output. Faroudja chip and 1080p HDMI output.
5) Sony PS3
6) Sony S550
Yes, I have far too many dvd players...lol. I am getting a calibration dvd or two and I will compare the dvd performance of the CP72, Marantz VC6001, PS3 and S550. My display is a Panasonic 60ST30
Anyhow, the sd dvd players and bd players that I think could playback dvd's better than anything I have are:
1) Oppo 981H/983 (?)
2) Oppo BD-83, 93, 103 etc? (I think the dvd performance of the 83 was best, the qdeo in 93 not as good and the 103 better than the 93 but not as good as 83?)
3) Toshiba XA2 or XA1
Other players with Reon/Silicon Optix or ABT? Older Faroudja?
Or...find a used iScan HD or HD+ (and SiI504 deinterlacer) for much less than I paid for and/or sold my VP50 for?
Any lists or things I can look at that compare dvd playback performance of any of the above?
Where can I find a relative ranking of DVD players and/or bd players with the best dvd playback?