Pioneer CLD-D704: Wont spin up. laser or CD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer CLD-D704 that wont spin up when a laserdisk is inserted. It loads normally and and then makes a sound like a motor straining and groaning for a few seconds, and then ejects the laserdisk back out. If I spin it manually by hand, it waits for it to stop spinning before spitting it back out. Also will not spin up a CD.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Take off the top, open the tray extend it out. You'll see a belt under the right side of the tray. Take it out and clean it and the small white pulley on the motor or replace it with a new SCQ4.0 belt. Initial test would be with the top off try to play an LD. When you hear the noise try lifting up on the metal mechanical assembly you saw rising. If lifting up allows it to finish lifting and it begins to play then the issue is the loading belt. It the spindle motor spins slipping on the LD then you need the grip ring on top of the spindle motor.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I cleaned the belt and I can hear it gripping better when I hold onto and restrain the tray as it is sliding back in. It now is giving me a "no disk" message which it was doing before after the unit is warmed up a bit. The mechanical central tray appears to be fully lifting and i pulled up on it any way to see if that helped with the "no disk" message on the front panel. With that "no disk" error there is no spin up, so I cant check beyond the belt which is now gripping tightly.

Looks like maybe a secondary problem that is causing me to get that "no disk" error which is now constant, even when unit is first turned on. I have an oscilloscope and all other item that could be used to troubleshoot, but lack the test points and experience, and schematics on this unit. Daughter will be happy if I manage to get this fixed.

Any further ideas or direction is appreciated.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Additionally, as it is running through verifying that there is a disk in the tray, the very center of the optical pops up for about a second. During that time I can see a faint red light from it for about a second, which stops when the very center pops back down, and the optical assembly then scoots toward the middle of the disc, and then back out to a neutral position. It then displays the "no disc" message on the front panel.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

The "no disc" means the pickup did not return a reflection from a disc surface. Either a bad laser pickup or the electronics are bad. Usually the pickup needs replacement. If it would play a CD but not a LD then it would have been easier. The laser movement you mentioned is normal.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Kind of what I figured. I dont mind troubleshooting down to component level to fix this. I have not been able to find a source for a schematic to do this.

Test point would be helpful if they exist. I would hate to have to reverse engineer this.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBayGuyII View Post

Kind of what I figured. I dont mind troubleshooting down to component level to fix this. I have not been able to find a source for a schematic to do this.
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=CLDD704 is the closest thing I can find that show some parts. I need to be able to verify what is wrong, and not just "black box" change things. Test point would be helpful if they exist. I would hate to have to reverse engineer this.

eBay commonly has these manuals for sale. There is a header on the main bottom board that has signals on it.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ebay has the usual suspects of questionable used units, and no manuals for this model. Craigs list was bare.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

The "VWY1037 Pickup Assembly" which I initially suspect is the problem is no longer carried by Pioneer in their parts website, and I find zero outside sources that have it oe even reference it. There are no "as is" units on ebay that I would trust to have a working one.. I also have no way of cross referencing which other pioneer models have this same exact assembly.

There is only a microscopically small schematic of this pickup assembly, and no further parts breakdown of it.. So replacing individual bits of it will be difficult, since I cannot identify them. I may be forced to scrounge the whole assembly as this proceeds.

I have not yet positively confirmed that this is bad since the 3A1 vertical module of my 60's vintage 561B Tektronics scope has decided to crap out. So I am looking to borrow a scope locally to poke further.

Any ideas, insights and further sources are very welcome. I hope this also helps someone.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I did some preliminary voltage readings on the control board in the bottom right of the unit. they were taken while trying to load a laserdisc during the time when it seeks to identify the disk in in. They were taken from the terminal strip marked CN106. I have given the pin number of the strip and the designated label:

1. C .... 0V dc.
2. A ..... 0V dc
3. RF .8v dc constant during the process
4. F DRV .25v dc constant with a 1v dc pulse that happened twice during the seeking process
5. T DRV 0V dc all the time
6. F ERR 0V dc all the time
7. F IN 0V dc all the time
8. Ground
9. T ERR .019V dc constant
10. T IN .010V dc constant
11. F SUM 0V dc all the time

I still continued to get a disk error
post #11 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

The F DRV is what moves the lens up and down trying to focus to get a signal back. You should see something with an oscilloscope on the A, C, RF test points. See if you can find the test point toward the front on the bottom board and short it to ground to put it into test mode. Then in test mode put in a disc and press play once and that will start the disc spinning with non-locked picture, then press play again and then the the unit should track the video, each time you press play it alternates between video lock/non-locked.

See if you can get anything.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

I had tried "test mode" before, and just repeated it again now. It still will not spin up at all, and still gives me a no disk error. It consistently acts like it does in non- test mode. I can spin it manually and the little flashing arrow, and tracking light briefly come on then it goes to "no disk" on the display and i have to ground the test mode point momentarily again to reset it.. Still no spinup. Is there a test point or voltage to look for that goes back to the power supply to trigger it to send volts to the spinup motor? I noticed that wiring from the supply is direct connected to the spinup motor.

I did now just check for voltage to be present on the wiring that goes to the disc spinup motor while it breifly said "play" on the front display in test mode.. There is no voltage being triggered from the control board to go down that line from the power supply while play was on the panel.

I have not yet been able to find a scope to borrow, and mine is still down.

I had an analog and a digital meter on A., C, and RF and there was no signal on A or C at all in "ac" mode, even on a very small setting of milivolts. There was just a constant .8v dc, with no ac indication.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

My best guess was that they send an "accel" voltage to pin 3 of the cn21 connector of the power supply to tell the supply to feed power down the wires to the spindle motor.. Pin 3 labeled "accel" goes directly to R58. I monitored it right at the resistor when i made it briefly say play on the display in test mode. there was no voltage there.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

If my read of things is remotely correct , grounding momentarily in "test mode" sets the "xreset" on the video processor (IC500). It then provides "accel" which is its "DRVB" = (accel) output to the power supply, to turns on the spindle motor voltage when I hit play, and looks like it also controls speed with "accel" and "brake" through the normal play cycle.

This is not happening so either the video processor chip which controls this function is bad, or something is inhibiting it from doing this. Its a guess on my part.. Correct me if I am wrong. This is my first laserdisc to work on for my daughter, so I am still coming up to speed.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

When in test mode when you pressed play on the remote it should have spun up the disc, either CD or LD. So you have a bad pickup, motor or power supply. I'd say the pickup is the first to try. Buy a used 503 and swap in the pickup and see what happens.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM
AVB
Advanced Member

Thank you very much for the info. A new belt worked like a champ with no load problems what-so-ever any longer.

There is no such thing as too much clean power.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page