Picked up a Sony CX860 player, need some help with CC support - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found a Sony CX860 DVD player (300+1) at Goodwill for a song. (would you believe $20 after half off? That means no one bought it when it was $40 for a month!) As far as I can tell, it is working since I loaded up the entire 10 season of Stargate SG-1 and it's playing along. However some DVD including the entire Stargate series do not have English subtitle for the Deaf, they do have closed captioning. When I played them on a different single disc player, the CC was coming through fine and no setting was changed on my TV so I know it's not my TV. The Sony player does not seem to support closed captioning since I couldn't find the option in the menu.

I checked the manual I downloaded from Sony web site, there is no mention of closed captioning. Does this player support CC at all? Maybe only in certain TV mode (4:3 instead of 16:9?) or maybe something else? It is currently hooked up via composite video, and to the best of my knowledge CC is not supported over component or HDMI.

Also I didn't find the matching remote for this player. Goodwill had something like 100 different remote controllers but not a single one Sony branded rolleyes.gif I'd have to snatch one off eBay or something to really use the player. If the CC feature can only be accessed via remote, please explain and I'll set it up when the remote arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Got the remote controller, still looking for CC option. I contacted Sony about this but no response yet.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 AM

Closed captions are decoded by the TV, so it would be pretty rare to have CC controls on the DVD player. Incidentally, you can use component video out with CC as long as you ensure that the signal is 480i.

Amazon has a page for this unit and says:
Date first available at Amazon.com: September 4, 1973

Ahead of its time!
post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

True that TV handles CC, but DVD player can block CC signal. On some models (cheap models for example) CC only works if you hooked it up in certain way, like only via S-Video. Other just won't allow CC to pass through. The last DVD player I had has menu that can toggle allow or block CC signal.

It seems like Sony player does not have this menu option so I'd have to try component next. My TV doesn't have S-Video (seems like it's dying in USA as most budget and mid range TV has composite, component, and HDMI + antenna)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 AM

You mention the Stargate series. Have you tried any other titles? I recently found that my Oppo DV-983H would not display the CC from the Saturday Night Live season discs. My other Oppo players and both computers displayed them properly. I even sent the 983 in to Oppo to be checked out and they confirmed that my player and the other 983s they had on hand were unable to display the SNL CCs. Just a weird incompatibility they couldn't account for. Perhaps the Stargate discs are similarly incompatible with your Sony.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdClon View Post

You mention the Stargate series. Have you tried any other titles? I recently found that my Oppo DV-983H would not display the CC from the Saturday Night Live season discs. My other Oppo players and both computers displayed them properly. I even sent the 983 in to Oppo to be checked out and they confirmed that my player and the other 983s they had on hand were unable to display the SNL CCs. Just a weird incompatibility they couldn't account for. Perhaps the Stargate discs are similarly incompatible with your Sony.

On the 983: that was using component video at 480i? As far as I know that is the only way the OPPOs will transmit video that retains the CC data. The method should work for other players too.

It's a lot of work if you are not already doing it, but if you are converting DVD video to MKV media files, HandBrake will convert CC to SRT subtitles which the OPPOs will display. Other players, too, I presume. The new subtitles are selectable like any other.

-Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 AM

Yes, it was using component video out at 480i. I have both HDMI and component outputs connected to my TV, so if there are no subtitles on a disc, I change the TV's input from HDMI to component video to see whether there are closed captions available. I also have a 970 and BDP-93 which, when connected identically, are able to display the captions on the SNL discs. There's just something odd about the way the captions on those discs were encoded.

My computers showed odd behavior with them as well. On my PC, PowerDVD showed no captions, but VLC played them without incident, My Mac wouldn't show the captions with its default player, but would with VLC. For some additional confusion and misdirection, the boxes list subtitles but no CC, which is exactly backwards.

If I wasn't clear, I can view the captions on any other discs that have them.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page