DVD Upconversion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got a new projector with VGA, S-Video,and composite inputs. My DVD player only has composite, component, coaxial, and S-Video outputs. Could anyone recommend a good YPbPr to VGA converter (if such things exist)? Is there any way I could upconvert the image quality without HDMI?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferatuMurnau View Post

I recently got a new projector with VGA, S-Video,and composite inputs. My DVD player only has composite, component, coaxial, and S-Video outputs. Could anyone recommend a good YPbPr to VGA converter (if such things exist)?

Here's one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7113&seq=1&format=2

There are others on the market, but Monoprice makes some decent products.
Quote:
Is there any way I could upconvert the image quality without HDMI?

Upconverting is a different process. You could use an outboard scaler, but I don't think it would improve things much for what they cost. Depending on what projector it is, they generally scale the image themselves to their native resolution (which is all upconversion is.) No matter what scaler you use, though, you can't expect miracles if the source is a DVD.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Personally I'd just go with S-video, converting SD(or would it be 480p ED??) to VGA can run into issues like incorrect black levels and such. The most common complaint about the MP device Tulpa linked seems to be the unit will shut down by itself or refuse to turn back on after the input signal stopped. Again you could try such a device and return it if you don't like it but I'd just stick with S-video which is noticeably better than composite, at least thats what I've found.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. I'll just stick to S-Video, which definitely provides better quality than composite (I'm surprised that composite hasn't become obsolete yet). I'm just wondering if there's a way I can reduce the "fuzziness" I get when I watch DVDs. I've thought about getting a blu-ray player, but I would still have to use S-Video, so I don't think it would be much better (thanks, HDCP).
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page