Sony DVP-NC655P opinions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2002, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find it hard to believe that this player hasn't been discussed before, but a search for "Sony DVP-NC655P" returned zero results, so...

Anyone have any opinions on this player? I realize it hasn't been released yet, but I was hoping someone could offer opinions on at least the specs, especially as they compare to the Denon 1600, which I was all set to buy until I saw this player. Crutchfield has it listed at $249, which seems like a great price for a progressive, 5-disc DVD changer.

For my needs, all I care about is how it plays DVDs. I don't care if it supports SVCD, DVD-A, MP3 or whatever. I simply want a progressive DVD player with outstanding PQ at somewhere under $500. (though I'd go a bit over if that would get me PQ on par with a Denon 1600 in addition to getting me a 400 multi-disc changer)

Thanks!

--kurt

kurtl..at..silentpcreview..com

Interested in Silent Computing?
http://www.silentpcreview.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2002, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

bump

post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2002, 05:53 PM

Kurt,

I saw the the DVP-NC655P at the Sony show in March and it did look pretty good. It also depends on what display you have. On the other hand, I have a Faroudja test DVD that I'm almost certain the 655 would fail on. As a matter of fact, there are a few test patterns and clips on the disc that none of the Sony's (DVP-S9000ES, DVP-NS900, DVP-S700P) could resolve. One clip in particular was a flag waving in front of a static background (a building) and the stripes on the flag were very stepped or jagged. The same clip on a Pioneer Elite DV-47A was better but still not 100%. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the quality of the de-interlacer in a low priced progressive DVD player can only be so good. But obviously, budget previals.

Rob
post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2002, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed the new sony prog. players are sporting 108mhz/12bit video DACs-does this mean a picture improvement over other players with 54mhz/10bit DACs?
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2002, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by tboo
I noticed the new sony prog. players are sporting 108mhz/12bit video DACs-does this mean a picture improvement over other players with 54mhz/10bit DACs?
Bumping this since I'm keen on knowing the answer as well. :)

--kurt

post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2002, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Crutchfield bumped up the release date on the single disc version-the 715 to the 21st of June. Some guy at hometheater forum bought one in Canada & gave a short glowing review of it. I might have to try one out
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2002, 10:55 AM

If they do the same thing they did in my Sony 9000ES, then the only time you'll have the full 108/12 is on the component out and only with progressive scan. The point is moot, I know, since most people buying the the new Sony will be using the progressive output, but for those who aren't (or at least not yet) it'll probably be 54/12 in interlaced and less on S-VID.

Rob
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2002, 10:33 AM

My local Fred Meyer grocery/everything store has this player on sale for $179.99 instead of $249.99. Should I pricematch 110% to BestBuy today and get it for $172.99 plus tax out the door? I wish I could find more opinions on it...

Fred Meyer also has the Toshiba SD-3805 for $179.99 instead of $269.99, but I haven't read anything about it yet. Off I go!
post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2002, 12:22 PM

I had been planning on buying the Sony 715P (which I assume would have similar or identical video performance to the 655P) until I read enough posts on this and other forums about the relatively poor progressive output of the player.

I still haven't "pulled the trigger", but I plan to now get the Panasonic RP82 instead. I'm not sure how much this helps you though since you are obviously looking for a changer.

Bob
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2002, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I purchased the 655P around the time when it was first released. I got it at Onecall.com for around $210 shipped. I can't speak for the progressive scan features since I have an older Mitsubishi 35" TV, I can speak for the great varity of formats this player handles. It's great when I have a movie on two or 3 cd-r's and I don't have to worry about changing the disks. It handles CD-R's, DVD's, MP3's, VCD's, SVCD's just about anything I've thrown at it. I do have one complaint and that is the clunky, chunky sound it makes when changing discs. I'm used to the sound now and it's not that annoying. I love the player and I'm very happy with it's performace so far.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-10-2002, 10:06 AM

Have had the player for about 4 months now purchased from Best Buy. I wanted a progressive output and the multiplayer option was tough to pass up for my Elite 610 (which also has an internal line doubler). So far, the player has been rock solid, no problems at all. Also, I did return a low-end Samsung progressive player that seemed to have some video play back issues (occassional tiling) on more than one DVD. Saw Spiderman last night on it. Really enjoyed the Dolby Digital 5.1 and great looking video. As previous post states, I also play back some MP3s without problems.

Overall, I'm very happy.

Why limit the broadband applications of your future by the narrow bandwidth experiences of your past?
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page