post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Guy`s,

Please help , and thanks in advance ! smile.gif

I just bought a Samsung UN46F8000 and using an HDMI cable from my 79AVi to the F8000 , I can not get any audio.

I have tried changing cables / inputs , no luck.

I was on the phone with Pioneer for almost an hour today , and nothing.

I did a re-set , the whole bit,

What is going on !

My Samsung is showing PCM output , however in the setup menu of my 79AVi , the PCM window is grayed out. I can`t even change anything to do with audio.

Picture is fine , I get a good picture , but I have a very large collection of TV shows on DVD and since the F8000 sounds so darn good , I really don`t want to fire up the ole` DSP-A1 , just for a tv show.

Please help if you can , right now any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again smile.gif

Gary 

PS:

I have a Sony KDL-40XBR2 and the audio works fine with that set using only an HDMI cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
It may be something "new" in the HDMI handshaking that is confusing the Pio since the Pio is quite old by CE standards.

Does your Samsung have a coax or optical S/PDIF input? If so, try connecting it from the player to the TV. And I'm supposing Pio support did all that was possible to force the Pio to a certain type of audio output.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 7 Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Larry ,

Thanks for your reply.

After many hours of trouble-shooting , I think I have found the problem , at least in part.

When I now power on the DV79 , it starts up in DVI mode , not HDMi , I have no idea why.

I also have a Sony KDL-40XBR2 and the HDMI from the DV79 to the XBR work fine.

There is something in Samsung`s software , that is doing the archaic " trying to boot DVI first , and HDMI second " thing.

On rare occasions , I used to is this , but I have not seen it in several years , it was really only during the transition from the whole DVI to HDMI thing around 04~05.

If I can find a way into the Samsung`s software and disable the the DVI kernel, then I think all would be fine , however I am not as familiar with Samsung as I am with Sony.

LOL fairly old !! U want to talk antiques , my amp is the Yamaha DSP-A1 / G , now that is old ! , but it still works and sounds fine.

As for the Samsung having an SPDIF input , no it does not , output yes , input no. I don`t think I have ever heard of a tv with an optical input , maybe on of the older Sonys , they always had "cutting edge" stuff as well as tv known for there high audio output , and possible one of those may have had a digital in.

No all I need to do is be referred to a Samsung expert that can go into to the F8000`s software and correct it.

That is not going to be easy , chances are it is imbedded within the tv`s frame work , it may never be right.

Of course the other way is to hack the DV79 and disable the DVI there !

O__ well eek.gif

Take care smile.gif

Later ,

Gary 
post #4 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Yes, it seems like a "bug" in the TV. Maybe a cheap HDMI switch in between the player and TV would although they may just pass thru the handshaking. Also, does it matter if the TV is powered up before the player or vice versa?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Larry ,

Good idea about putting some distance between the DV79 and the F8000 , I had in mind another zip code ! LOL

As far as turning one on first , I have no choice but to turn the player on first , the F8000 won`t let me into any input unless the device is already on.

Talk about messed up , I have the software update set to off , and what happened it up dated on it`s own.

I have the speech and camera turned off , but now every time I turn the F8000 on , a stupid window pops up telling me my camera is not ready.

Thanks for the reply and your efforts to help , trying an HDMI switcher might just do the trick ! biggrin.gif

I`ll check out Mono-Price.

Take care smile.gif

Later ,

G 
post #6 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 05:52 AM

The switch may work. My thinking is that the switch may present a " a full HDMI" device to the player and the player will go into "hdmi mode" and then the TV may believe it. If the TV checks for DVI type settings first and the switch passes it through, then you'll probably be no better off. It seems once the TV is happy that the player can work (or look like) a DVI device, it doesn't check further.

The reason I thought it may be worth a try is that some pre/pros can present one set of HDMI setting to the display and each HDMI input on the pre/pro is setup per input. Or the pre/pro can be set to pass thru the display characteristics to the devices on the pre/pro. Switches may not be that sophisticated.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Larry ,

That is exactly what I thought when you mentioned the switch , the F8000 will see it as HDMI , and when the DV79 powers up , it really should not have much to do as far as telling the F8000 how it`s hooked up.

I have been away from computers for a day and a half or I would have replied sooner , like I mentioned , I must check out Mono-Ptice.

Great tip , thanks ! smile.gif

Later ,

Gary 
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page