HDMI and Standard Def (480i) player - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know HDMI cables are associated with HD, but is it better to use it over both S-Video and Composite for the output of SD 480i from a DVD player to a TV -- if the player has all 3 oututs? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 690
To get the best video quality, it's usually best to send digital data (HDMI). Modern display devices are digital, as is the signal coming from the disc. The player has to convert that digital signal into analog so it can output S-Video and Composite signals. The display device has to reconvert an analog video signal into a digital format so it can up-scale the incoming image to the screen's actual resolution.

However, you have to use an analog video connection to get closed-captioning, if you need or want that. HDMI audio is transmitted during the "Vertical retrace interval", which also is when the closed-captioning text is transmitted. Having one prevents having the other. Closed-captioning text usually is different from the subtitie tracks provided on DVDs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Selden. I was wondering because I've always heard component video being the recommended output for SD DVD players, being that it splits the colors 3 ways for best picture performance. As much as I've tried to learn about HDMI, I never really saw anything technical about how it aligns the colors (something like component does). Is that because all the colors are stored in the digital information then, since its not an analog cable? Perhaps that is what makes HDMI more accurate than other cables, even for standard def. programming?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 479
HDMI uses "component video" just as component cables do. Both are upgrades over composite and S-Video. There is no reason to prefer component cabling over HDMI in terms of quality.

The industry is killing off component cabling anyway.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

HDMI uses "component video" just as component cables do. Both are upgrades over composite and S-Video. There is no reason to prefer component cabling of HDMI in terms of quality.

The industry is killing off component cabling anyway.

-Bill
They already killed it off as of the 2012 models. If you want component these days, it is only for special purpose and you need an adapter for it, that is manufacturer specific. Then add to it, you do not get 720p/1080i/1080p/24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement