Old DVD discs flash new ones don't - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a Motorhome with a new Alpine double din head unit (Ive-w530bt) which is also connected to a tv. When playing DVDs post 2006 no problems but older disc flash dark contrast then light. Any ideas why this should happen? Connections are not hdmi but av leads.
Any ideas would be appreciated as we are travelling in Croatia currently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 163
What types of DVDs? Studio releases, copies, home made, etc.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Sounds like a CP(copy protection/MV) issue. If your DVDs are copies are you sure it's not the actual recording?
Does your AV leads go direct from your player to TV? if they go through something like a VCR MV(macrovision) would cause this.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for comments. They are original DVDs eg alien. I have tried ripping the DVD and playing the copy and that doesn't cause the flash!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

If it is the connections causing the problem do you know if the Macrovision issue changed after 2006?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 163
If it was some across the board type of change, I'd think others would have complained by now. It seems you are a pioneer in this area. smile.gif Interesting problem.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allycol View Post

Thanks for comments. They are original DVDs eg alien. I have tried ripping the DVD and playing the copy and that doesn't cause the flash!
It sure sounds like a analog copy protection(MV) issue. Ripping the DVD more than likely removes MV which is why the copies play but not the originals.
Again does your cables run directly from your player to your TV? If so I don't know what to say other than it sure sounds like MV(Macrovision).
post #8 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, I truly wish I was not a pioneer smile.gif

The cables run to a splitter box, that switches between a satellite dish and the DVD player. The DVD unit is new, previously we had a Zenec system that didn't flicker and we have the same cables?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

If it is mv any ideas how to cure it?
post #10 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's MV then a filter like THIS should work. I'd install it between your player and the switcher.
At $90 it isn't cheap and unless maybe your switcher is amplified I can't see why you should be having issues but a filter like the one I linked would take MV out of the equation. It's possible a cheaper VHS type of filter may work(they can start as low as $30) but such a filter would not also allow you to copy DVDs, it would probably just remove the analog MV(not CGMS-A).

Before doing anything else I'd try running the cable directly from your player to TV(eliminating the switcher) you could also try another DVD player or TV to narrow it down to either of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Polytron-360-20-Digital-Video-Stabilizer/dp/B000OITAPE/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_4_CHJE?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JH61HTZ89BSQJ5K9GRM
$30 VHS type of filter.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff, that filter looks promising unfortunately for me we are travelling at the moment and the chances of us finding somewhere here in Croatia are slim. I will try your other suggestion of bypassing the switcher and see what happens. It is so annoying that the old system worked and I will be bypassing security for genuine disks I have purchased but if they play i will be happy. I am still corresponding with Alpine tech support but I believe this will be a long long process.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

It's like your switcher(or something else in your circuit) is seeing the MV pulses and reacting the way a recorder would, those pulses cause the AGC(automatic gain) to constantly change causing bright but mostly dark scenes. A DVD without those pulses would play just fine, which is why your copies don't seem to exhibit this problem.

Wow Croatia! thats one place I'll probably never make it too in my lifetime, have fun smile.gif
According to Wiki Croatia is the 18th most popular tourist destination in the world, I would have never guessed.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Problem solved by replacing the RCA video cable with a better quality one. Thankyou guys for you help it is very much appreciated. Jeff if you get to Croatia I'll buy you a beer or two smile.gif
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page