DVD cases damaging - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a problem with dvd cases damaging alot of dvds, especially the ones in multi disc tv sets. On opening a few of the dvd sets in my collection I noticed that most of the DVDs that sit in the front and back cover of the multi disc case are all damaged. Smudged, cloudy and some with scratches around the outside in parts. Some I haven't watched for a long time and have just been sitting in storage.

I've Gone through my collection and so far found 16 damaged discs. No doubt I will probably find more.Has anybody else seen or had this problem/? If so should I just take them to my local video store and pay to get them cleaned, then store them in alternate cases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Does anyone else have access to your library? Children, perhaps?

That kind of damage often is caused by shaking of the case so that the discs come loose and rattle around inside. Careless handling of the discs themselves can cause similar damage. E.g. not handling them only by the center and edges.

Selden
post #3 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
No kids. Just stored stacked on the shelf. I'm the only one that accesses the DVDs.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 AM

Liked: 18
When I first started storing discs I bought a couple book type cd holders. They stick to the plastic and I didn't want to ruin them over time taking them in and out of the books. I now store them in the paper sleeves with the Windows that you can find at walmart or online. A little more work but better for the discs imo. As far as cleaning them just run them under water in the sink and dry them off right away. The skip dr. can work if you don't over do it. I definitely won't use plastic sleeves for dvd-r's or anything that I record.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Liked: 18
Update... After having to do a second hub and spindle cleaning on my editing recorder in two months you may want to consider semi-plastic sleeve type books. I have to wipe down all my old discs before placing them in the tray. I'm finding a lot of paper dust on them. So the sleeves are ok if you don't move them around a lot like I do. Just a thought.

I remember when products were built to last.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page