why do my dvd's and blurays play fine but my vhs tapes are audio only? - AVS Forum
DVD Players (Standard Def) > why do my dvd's and blurays play fine but my vhs tapes are audio only?
orangecoffee's Avatar orangecoffee 02:26 PM 10-15-2013
confused.gif

I own several dvd players,vcr's and bluray players. The other day I put a vhs tape into one of my dvd/ vcr combos and only got audio. Picture was snow. Tried new av cables. Didn't help. I switched to a vcr only unit I own. Same problem. Tried another dvd/ vcr that I own. Same problem. A dvd played fine,but the tapes would not. I tried several different tapes including one I had just watched a week ago. All had same problem. I decided to switch to a different television ( both tv sets are old analog sets, not digital ). Still,just audio on the vhs tapes. The only part of the equation I never altered was the outlet. Both televisions and all the players I plugged into the same outlet.
If anyone can explain what might be happening,please let me know.

jjeff's Avatar jjeff 02:52 PM 10-15-2013
Just guessing but I'm thinking one of your tapes is shedding oxide very badly and plugging up your video heads. Once plugged up they will generally only play snow(or blue screen) for video but audio will be fine.
I'd suggest a thorough cleaning of the video heads and tape path, a wet cleaning tape may work and I would not suggest a try tape, they generally don't work very well and can cause video head wear.
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa 12:15 AM 10-16-2013
Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of if you've altered all other variables. One of the tapes started screwing up every VCR it encountered, kind of like spreading a disease.
Mark12547's Avatar Mark12547 02:39 AM 12-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of if you've altered all other variables. One of the tapes started screwing up every VCR it encountered, kind of like spreading a disease.

Like maybe something may be causing gunk to get into the spinning head so it can no longer read the video singal, or have jammed the spinning head so it doesn't spin any more. (The audio is picked up by a separate head close to the spinning head, so the only thing it needs is for the tape to go across it at the normal speed.)

chappatti's Avatar chappatti 04:00 PM 12-09-2013
I agree with the folks upstairs !

Clean the head. BUT in my experience with my Sony VCR I have to open it up and get at the head, capstan roller, pinch roller etc with a Q-tip and iso-propanol. Wet or dry cleaning tapes will not work once this level of snowing starts. Forget dry cleaning anyways since it is useless.

I presume your inputs are fine since audio is working.
Up
Mobile  Desktop