So Is This The Beginning Of Sony Lead Alliance To Bring Anti-Piracy Measures To DVD Players Like Cinavia ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was in a Best Buy last night to purchase a cheap DVD player. Have a collection of DVD's that I recorded through PPV that my Blu-Ray won't play because of Cinavia. I was getting ready to pay for a Phillips DVD player, when I noticed a security label with "One-Red" printed on it. Did a search in Google using one of demo PC's at the store and this link came up.

http://blog.cdrom2go.com/2012/07/one-red-dvd-cd-patent-licenses/

Here's an excerpt C/P:
Quote:
New Strategy for Licensing Patents

The One-Red patent licensing program has a different approach instead of giving licenses to manufacturers, shipments of the products will be licensed. The ‘per-batch’ licensing policy will track the shipments of CDs and DVDs thus eliminating chances of the distribution of products with improper licenses. The process of enforcing, managing, and monetizing patent licenses has subsequently been systematized through strict enforcement methods.

Licensing Rates

The joint company of the quartet will grant licenses for use of the patents related to optical storage technology at a lower loyalty than any other patent licensing programs. In addition to this, a limited time offer will allow for additional discounts in the use of these patents for current and new manufacturers. The joint DVD Prerecorded Disc and DVD Player patents that include CD technologies will be rolled out to deserving applications without favor. Any patent owner included in the joint DVD licensing program of One-Red is allowed to give out separate licenses for the same patent.
The One-Red royalty rates are given below (read technology, standard rate, compliant rate):
DVD video player, $3.60, $2.80
DVD-ROM player, $2.91, $2.24
DVD discs, $0.04, $0.03

So after reading that, I put the dvd player back on the shelf and then bought an older model without the "Red-One" security label.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page