Pioneer CLD-D504 laserdisc player troubleshooting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought this player new around 1996-1997. Tonight is the first time in at least two years that I've tried to use it, and we have moved since the last time it worked.

I can't get the main drawer to open. When I press the "LD" button, it makes a spinning/whining sound for awhile, then the CD drawer opens. If I press the "LD" button again, the CD drawer closes, it makes the spinning/whining sound, then the CD drawer opens again. If I insert a CD, it makes the whining sound, refuses to cue up the CD, and the CD drawer opens again. The display shows the error code U1. "Troubleshooting" says that's due to a bad or incorrectly loaded disc, but it shows this error even if there's no disc in the player. Suggestions?

The kicker here is that I once had two LD players, the other one being a CLD-M401. It required manually flipping the disc for Side B, but in other respects it was a superior player. I used it for several years as a CD player in an audio system, in which role it worked perfectly. When we had a garage sale before moving two years ago, I sold the 401 -- a mistake. Anyway, the 504 is the one I still have, and I'd like to fix it IF the fix is cheap and easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There are a couple things this could be. The 504 has a laser movement holder that holds the motor to the pickup assembly and sometimes the pins break that hold the gears between the motor and track or the loading belt is slipping. Hopefully the loading belt. Take off the top and put in the CD. press play and after the tray goes in the mechanical assembly moves up, A bad belt will not lift it all the way up so just grab the mechanical assembly and help it raise up. Hopefully then it will start playing the CD. Then make sure the direct CD button is OFF and then eject the tray. The full tray should come out. Then unplug the player and pull the tray out a little further and you should see part of the belt at the front just under the left side of the tray. That needs to be cleaned or replaced. It is a generic SCQ4.0 available eBay, Digikey, MCM Electronics, etc.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. It was somewhat balky about loading discs (same symptoms) before we moved, and before that it sat on the same shelf for quite a few years. So maybe it's just the belt. I hope!
post #4 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

OK. I have the cover off the machine, If I "help" the loading mechanism, it appears to cue up. I've tried both CDs and LDs. It looks like it works, but I haven't tried it while hooked up to a TV. It requires manual help to cue the discs. The belt appears to be rather difficult to reach.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Good that means you just need to replace the loading belt that is at the front under the tray. Generic part number SCQ4.0. Or try cleaning the one in the machine and it will work fine.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

With manual help provided to the loading mechanism, I was able to play and view an LD. Also, further examination showed the belt may not be quite as difficult to access as I feared. I've already ordered a new one. Thank you for your help.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Accessing the belt turned out to be very easy: remove the LD tray. There are two plastic tabs, part of the molded tray, that must be pressed inward to remove it. The player works properly with the new belt.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page