Laserdisc player and composite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this may not be worth much nowadays, but I've been using my laserdisc player with a SVideo cable for decades. Today I decided to watch Grand Prix that I have on laserdisc. The picture had a lot of noise that I found to be irritating. I'm inputting the signal into my Onkyo receiver and from there onto my 80" projector screen. I looked online to see if I could find a way to get a HDMI output. What I saw surprised me. The recommendation was to output the signal to composite! The worse of all worlds. Well, I figured, what did I have to lose? So I tried it out and amazingly the picture is better! I couldn't believe the picture was cleaner than the Svideo cable, but it is. I would never have thought. So, for those out there that still have laserdisc players, I say try out the composite instead of the Svideo cable. You might be as surprised at the picture as I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The majority of people end up using composite, some stay with S-Video. It really depends on the player you have and the TV.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The reason the composite looks better is that it is in composite format on the laserdisc itself. A laserdisc player that has an S-video output has a comb filter to separate it into two, but any decent TV today is going to have a better comb filter than any laserdisc player (because even state-of-the-art technology from when laserdiscs were made is primitive by today's standards). If yours is a low-end LD player, then the difference is likely dramatic. For more, see:

http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/guides/laserdisc-guide/

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-08-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
This question comes up a lot here. And while composite is typically the best, in some LD players the composite output is AFTER the comb filter. They do this because analog noise reduction is better done in YC.

The best advice IMO is to test both and use what looks best to you. In the end that's all that matters on the viewing side. You can even hook up both composite and YC at the same time and simply switch between them on the monitor.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
This question comes up a lot here. And while composite is typically the best, in some LD players the composite output is AFTER the comb filter. They do this because analog noise reduction is better done in YC.<br><br>
The best advice IMO is to test both and use what looks best to you. In the end that's all that matters on the viewing side. You can even hook up both composite and YC at the same time and simply switch between them on the monitor.
Just switched my Pioneer DVL-909 from s-video to composite and surprisingly the picture does have less noise in it. Even though it looks better it still not a sharp picture on a 100 inch screen.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page