Multi Region DVD player and PAL to NTSC converter recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Multi Region DVD player and PAL to NTSC converter recommendations?

I am in the US with an NTSC TV (a Panasonic Viera Plasma 720p, TH-50PX80U) and Blu-Ray player, but have some PAL DVD9 movies from England I'd like to play.

As I only have a few movies I'd like to watch and they are in standard def, I don't think I need a Blu-Ray player. My Blu-Ray player also has streaming (Netflix, Amazon etc.) so I don't need any advanced features. However I would like one with an HDMI port.

I assume a simple PAL to NTSC video converter would be enough for my setup? For the converter also I'd like one with an HDMI port, and that can do a good job at converting the picture to my TV.

I don't really know anything about converters, and don't know if some converter/DVD player combinations are better than others. Any input or recommendations would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I use an iCom BD780 for multiregion Blu-rays and DVDs. PAL to NTSC converter is built in. About 130 on Amazon.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Would I also need a separate video converter for that, or does the player have that built-in?

I see Amazon has some DVD players. I don't need a Blu Ray and those seem much cheaper. Are any of them any good, and would they need a video converter?
post #4 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Can't speak for the DVD players, Nothing is needed for the Blu-ray player.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5 of 11 Old 08-25-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'd suggest looking for a used(or even new) Pioneer DVD player. They do a very good job of converting PAL DVDs to NTSC HDMI output and they are all self contained, IOW you don't need a separate PAL to NTSC converter, the Pioneers do it internally. You didn't say if the DVDs were region locked but if they are you may need to preform a hack on the player(AFAIK all Pioneers can be hacked) to be able to play out of region DVDs.
I just purchased another one today, a 410, for $19.99 at a local pawn shop, looked and plays like new. They come already setup to convert PAL to NTSC, the hack is only required if you want to play commercial region locked DVDs.
Another option is B&H photo out of NY. Currently they have a couple customer return Pioneer DVD players that have already been hacked for region free, starting at $46.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/DV...6/N/4294210544
post #6 of 11 Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great suggestion about the hacked Pioneer players For $50 used they do seem like a good deal.

I found a forum that specifies in "Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks", if you google for Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks you should find it (avforums).

However I have a Sony BDP-5100 but I don't see that player listed anywhere there in the sticky.

But if you search ebay.co.uk for Sony DVD / Blu-ray player multi-region hack remote there are many remotes there that specify they work for the BDP-S5100. But - none ship to the US it seems.

There's also one on eBay.com - can't post the link but if you google ebay 110665303085 you should find it.

But that remote also does not ship to the US.

Do these hack remotes simply not work on US players?

Last edited by Kadence; 08-25-2014 at 08:32 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh - and at the bhphotovideo listing for the DV-410V Overview it says:

Note! This unit may require a multi-system TV to view PAL DVDs in the US.

I doubt I have a multi-system TV.

For the DV-3032K listings it doesn't say anything about multi-system TVs, but I don't know if it applies to them as well.

So does that mean these Pioneer players won't work for me?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadence View Post
Oh - and at the bhphotovideo listing for the DV-410V Overview it says:

Note! This unit may require a multi-system TV to view PAL DVDs in the US.

I doubt I have a multi-system TV.

For the DV-3032K listings it doesn't say anything about multi-system TVs, but I don't know if it applies to them as well.

So does that mean these Pioneer players won't work for me?
I'm not sure why they say that, many things from sellers of such devices say erroneous things, many of which are not true. I can say for a fact that my Pioneer 410(purchased off the shelf and not even hacked for out of region play) will play a PAL DVD and output a very good NTSC picture to a standard US TV.
On a side note, many lesser known(including most if not all?? Vizio) US flat screen TVs will display PAL(50hz) material just fine. They are not advertised as doing such and it would only be via line inputs(none have a PAL tuner) but my Vizio, Insignia and LG LCD TVs display 50hz material just fine. My Sony, Samsung and Pioneer do not display PAL but of course will if played on my Pioneer 410 DVD player and it's output is set to NTSC(50hz).
Again AFAIK all Pioneers will do a system conversion on the fly, other brands like Philips will do as well but I like the quality on Pioneers best. Oppo's also convert but are kind of hard to fine and may be more expensive.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, I contacted bhphotovideo regarding the Pioneer and they said:
Quote:
If your TV is not Multisystem it will not play on it.
So I'm confused now...it that only for this model?

If I get a DVD or Blu-Ray labeled labelled "region free" on Amazon, I should be able to play PAL discs correct?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 06:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
PAL DVDs and some imported Blu-rays are 50hz, which is not generally used in North America.

Some displays will accept a 50hz video signal, but many won't.

If you have a player that converts 50hz to 60hz, that would make them compatible.

So there are two issues:

• region coding
  • 50hz support

A player may accept PAL discs and be all-region, but either it or your display must also deal with the 50hz issue. That's what bhphotovideo meant by Multisystem; apparently the player does not do 50->60hz conversion.

-Bill
post #11 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

If we're talking about a Pioneer 410 I don't know why B&H would have told you that you need a multi system TV to play PAL DVDs. My 410 and 400 and also 610 have a simple setup option for NTSC or PAL output. If setup to output NTSC and you play a PAL DVD is just converts it to NTSC(60hz) on the fly, again I believe all Pioneers have this option, at least I haven't seen one in the last 10 years that hasn't.....
Also I believe all the Pioneers sold at B&H have been modified for all regions, mine weren't as they were purchased locally off the shelf but they can be easily hacked with information on VideoHelp.com's site, I just haven't bothered as none of my PAL DVDs are commercial and region locked.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page