Anyone have the Sony DVP-NS999ES Yet? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote: Might want to try jandr.com for a better price (a lot better).

Reply: Went to their web site and read a message to call for info; it turns out that with tax and shipping the price is about the same.

Peter M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The best price that I have seen ot the unit is through Oade Brothers.
They probably do not have the unit in stock though.
It would be worth giving them a call.

Alpha LS Guy
Formerly known as Maggie Guy
post #93 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 192
Quote:
Reply: Went to their web site and read a message to call for info; it turns out that with tax and shipping the price is about the same.
They offer free shipping on the 999ES.

As far as replacing the 9000 the moment Crutchfield listed the 999 they dropped the price of the 9000 several hundred dollars and no longer show it as being available.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #94 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 12:20 PM

Mpedris,
A few months ago DTS lowered the bit rate so the DTS sound track could be included along with Dolby Digital 5.1 on the same disk. About the same time Dolby increased their bit rate. While DTS still has a little more bitrate, the difference is a lot closer than before hence the two sound a lot closer. For example, if you read Robert George's LOTR review, you'll find he rates the two about equal with maybe a slight edge to DD. It's not the first review I've seen this way. Look how good the Star Wars, Episode One DD track is. I wouldn't go so far as to say DD is now better. All things being equal I'd have to think DTS would still have a slight edge. But it now, even more, seems to rely on the job the sound engineer does with the material provided. Of course on disks with a full bit rate DTS track, DD would in most cases come out second best.

SE_Calcon,
Thanks for your reply. I wish the 999 had compared better. I just hope it outdoes my Toshiba for video. Wouldn't be a contest if the newer sets didn't have built in line doublers. I'm not so sure the 999 isn't a replacement for the 9000 though.
post #95 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 05:59 PM

I also have both the Sony DVP-S9000ES and the DVP-NS999ES. I am not an expert by any means, but I think the DVP-NS999ES has a better picture than the Sony DVP-S9000ES. The DVP-NS999ES by default is setup in "standard" setting for Video Control. When the Video Control was set on "standard", I thought the DVP-NS999ES was just slightly better than the Sony DVP-S9000ES. Once I changed the video setting to "Cinema 1", I felt better about my purchase. I could also tell a difference in audio while watching DVDs. Video and Audio wise, I would say that the DVP-NS999ES has improved over the Sony DVP-S9000ES. The improvement is not as great as when I upgraded from Sony S7700 to DVP-S9000ES, but there is improvement. I am viewing the DVD players on a Pioneer Elite 510 via progressive output. The only thing that I didn't like was the build quality of the DVP-NS999ES and the remote that it comes with it. The build quailty seems like a step backwards. :)
post #96 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
indeed, it is built like a 900v, under, ES skin..a slight improvement, does not qualify, my upgrade!! I did see a slight improvement between, their dvpns 700p and 715p too!!!!
post #97 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 07:04 PM

Anzio,
It sure seems like we are geting varied opinions here. Good to hear you thought the 999 was better. When the unit was being introduced by Sony I took their statements to say the 999 was going to be their flagship DVD player. I'm hoping the cheaper build quality was to keep the cost down. Just because it's not built like a tank doesn't mean it can't be a top performer.

I do think everyone has their own idea as to what's ideal and we have to try to sort things from there. Even when my 999 arrives I can only compare it to my 3108 Tosh and the Sony S-7000. I've only heard SACD in a store and don't have a SACD disk yet. Even if it outperforms my other players it won't supply much information as to the new Panasonics, Pioneers or Denons. I may check out other models at various dealers and see how things compare. I can only give my opinion as to what I experience.
Maggie,
What kind of prices are you finding on the net? As I said, I got a good price and didn't feel a need to look elsewhere.
post #98 of 689 Old 10-22-2002, 09:34 PM

I had decided to really bank on the 999ES, particulary with the early opinions I have read here and elsewhere.

However, I see Marantaz has a player in the same rough price range which bridges the SACD/DVDA problem by offering both.

Now I am an anomally and care more about finding a good audio player that does a decent DVD job (where I gather most here are flipped and value video over audio) without spending much more than $1500.

Has anyone seen/heard the DV8300 that has also seen/heard the 999ES or 9000ES?

Xphile

"In the quest for beautiful sound and vision, you will go broke"
post #99 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

Thanks for the enlightening info on DD and DTS.

Oade brothers gives the 999ES for $895 plus shipping.

Regards,

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #100 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

999es hooked up in my store to a pro620 , where we used to have the 9000...after some adjustments the 999 looked a bit better than the 9000.
more 3d, smoother, etc.......
post #101 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Xphile, the Marantz 8300 is a rebadged Pioneer DV47A, except Marantz uses separate power supplies. The video will be identical, the audio slightly improved. I have seen and heard it and was not impressed. It was another very good DVD player and a bit bright in audio. It had a sharpness that was at first impressive, but ultimately seemed more "videolike" than "filmlike". The DVD/SACD aspect is most tempting, but to date, no company has truly nailed it for both formats.
post #102 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 07:35 AM

xphile made a new post after received his 999. I asked him to come back to this post and maybe answer some questions as he gets to play with his new toy more. Interesting, he didn't notice chroma bug.
post #103 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree, that is a Valid observation, audiowise, how much it edgrs on 9000es? i dont know, besides, 5.1 sacd capability, but otherwise, 9000es, was one heck of a beautiful, well built state of the art equipment!
post #104 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I ordered my unit late yesterday from "mydigital universe.com" and was shocked to see the UPS guy today right after lunch. As it turns out, that wasn't the only pleasant surprise:

I didn't have a chance to hook the unit up until about an hour ago, and there are so many tests I'm aching to try that I'll be busy for the next few days.

The unit has a very nice "Instant Setup" option that gets you up and running in no time at all. I connected the Sony to my Seleco 200DM via Monster component cables, and used the digital coax output to connect to a Denon AVR-4802 (I use an entirely different setup for music listening). The Seleco is projecting onto a 110" Stewart Firehawk screen.

Comparing the build quality with my RP-91 or RP84 is simple; there is no real comparison, the Sony wins hands down in this department (just the thickness alone of the Sony's AC cord makes a statement).

I have far too much testing to do to start going into too many details, and right now I'd probably be labeled as suffering from "New-Toy Syndrome" anyway.

However, I will say this much: Anyone who is waiting for this machine is in for one heck of a surprise. Right out of the chute one will notice the film-like quality of the image. The blacks will be the first thing that really knocks your socks off. Projector owners will especially appreciate the inky blacks that give way to excitingly vibrant colors. My wife couldn't get over the way the foil pom-poms glistened during the football game in Starship Troopers. "They actually look three dimensional," were her exact words.
And needless to say, the outer space scenes are breathtaking because of the incredible black levels (yes, I know the Selecos are noted for their great black levels, but they never looked this good with either of my Panny units).

And the Selecos are also noted for their great reproduction of reds, which leads me to the other big observation; so far I have not seen the chroma bug. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. :rolleyes:

Yes, Cain, I tried the torture test with "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" and all went well (I got the normal motion blur instead of the dreaded jaggies).

Well I'm going back to play for a while, then I'll get down to doing some A & B comparisons.

Cheers,
Peter M
post #105 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 02:34 PM

How do you get a meaningful response from Oade Bros.?

We have exchanged e-mails two or three times to verify that I am on the waiting list for a 999es.

I have called up on the phone to try and place an order and get some information. I am also interested in a cd/sacd player. If the cd/sacd capability of the 999es is not at least as good as the 555es 5 disc player, then I will want to purchase a cd/sacd player as well as the 999es dvd player.

When I called up, I got a recorded message saying to leave a message and that my call will be returned. So far, not. I am in CA and I don't want to call long distance (especially on my employer's dime) just to get to talk to an answering machine.

I sent more e-mails saying that I would like to order, but I have not received responses to these, either.

Does Oade Bros. respond to customers? Is this normal??

Thanks,

Paul:eek:
post #106 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 02:52 PM

Videonut,

I am glad that we share the same feeling and comments about the 999ES !

Keep playing, there a lot of pleasant surprises you will discover !

Enjoy,

GuelinFP
post #107 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Congarats, Videonut! Please keep us posted as things develop.
post #108 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oade has always been pretty responsive to customers as far as I am aware of. I imagine that the units are still on backorder. You may want to send an email directly to Jim Oade and you should get a quick response.
Just remember that they are here in Georgia and in a different time zone.

jim@oade.com

Alpha LS Guy
Formerly known as Maggie Guy
post #109 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 04:43 PM

Anyone know if this unit offers any scaling features for 4:3 material?
post #110 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, Maggie Guy.

I'm aware that they are in Florida and my recent inquiries have been in regards to cd/sacd players.

My inquiries in regards to the 999es have been to Jim Oade and he has responded quickly. I did not want to impose further and so I went through more normal Oade.com channels in regards to my cd/sacd purchasing questions.

Beings nobody who has the 999es has posted any detailed, in depth comments on the cd/sacd capabilities, I was hoping that someone at oade would have listened to the 999es and have an opinion.

I am still a bit reluctant to bother Jim Oade about this but I may in a day or two.

Paul
post #111 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Butler
Xphile, the Marantz 8300 is a rebadged Pioneer DV47A, except Marantz uses separate power supplies. The video will be identical, the audio slightly improved. I have seen and heard it and was not impressed. It was another very good DVD player and a bit bright in audio. It had a sharpness that was at first impressive, but ultimately seemed more "videolike" than "filmlike". The DVD/SACD aspect is most tempting, but to date, no company has truly nailed it for both formats.
Thanks Martin! You have saved me some hassle, as I have read several reports that the DV47A is weak on SACD (which I am interested in).

I am now committed to the 999ES and will go get one!! I saw some good hype (but no review yet) in the new Perfect Vision.

Thanks and great thread folks!

One other item: Bob said I got a 999ES and was asked to post, particularly about chroma bug. Must have me mixed up with someone else as I don't have my 999ES yet.

I would like to hear about the Chroma bug (have not read a definiteve yes/no yet. I did read a post on ***************.com from one of their senior editors that said all players he saw at CEIDA had the chroma bug (ie 999ES too).

Xphile

"In the quest for beautiful sound and vision, you will go broke"
post #112 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck Xphile. No definitive answer on the chroma bug question yet. Maybe Stacey Spears will be testing one soon??? There's a lot of interest in this machine, and Secrets of Home Theater would be doing all of us a service by taking a look, (hint, hint).
post #113 of 689 Old 10-23-2002, 08:41 PM

Does the 47ai has the chroma bug?
CarlosP
post #114 of 689 Old 10-24-2002, 12:51 AM

message for Greg Hamilton:

Greg, I have PM'd you, have you seen it?

Mark R
post #115 of 689 Old 10-24-2002, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know when the Sony DVP-NS999ES will be available in Europe?
post #116 of 689 Old 10-24-2002, 03:08 AM

Kain,

The 999ES is *not* scheduled to be available in Europe. They believe it will need a few more things (PAL Progressive, namely) before it's interesting enough for the Euro market. :mad: That may take a year, and possibly a different model.

Afonso.
post #117 of 689 Old 10-24-2002, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ainfante
Kain,

The 999ES is *not* scheduled to be available in Europe. They believe it will need a few more things (PAL Progressive, namely) before it's interesting enough for the Euro market. :mad: That may take a year, and possibly a different model.

Afonso.
A YEAR?? :eek:

Nooo! :(

If it is going to take that long, I'll have to look for an alternative. :(

Any suggestions?
post #118 of 689 Old 10-24-2002, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

What's that new rumor now?

999ES is scheduled for november 2002, that's a few weeks.
Other rumors say a delay till january, the time for Sony to convince the DVD Forum to accept the Progressive Scan PAL "feature" on this player.

So?
post #119 of 689 Old 10-24-2002, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you saying it will be released in November 2002 in Europe? If so, YIPPEE! :D
post #120 of 689 Old 10-24-2002, 04:36 AM

Kain,

It *may* take a year, it may take 3 months, it may never happen. It's basically a question mark at this point.

Regarding alternatives, well, Europeans are really stuck. On the SACD side, you can only think about the Pioneers (747 and 757), but they have inferior build and sound quality (and there will be no equivalent to the DV47i). Even if you don't care about SACD, the Panasonic RP82 and RP91 are not available in Europe, and the Denon DVD-1600 is way too expensive (about 50% more expensive than in the US) for what it's worth (in terms of build quality). There's the Denon DVD-3800, but we all know the freezing/skipping problems - and it's more expensive.

Europe is *not* a nice place for mid-market DVD players. If you are willing to fork out the money for a TAG, or a Meridian, you'll be well served - they're excellent, cheaper than in the US, and easy to find in Europe. Same thing about budget models. Cheap, easy to find. But mid-market? Forget it.

A good example is the absurd amount of time the DVD forum is taking to actually give its blessing on PAL progressive. There are no technical or legal reasons for it. It's just that the Japanese don't care enough to push it.

Why? Sales in Europe on the mid-end are insignificant. It's a loud croud (just look here or in the UK-based AVforums) but a small one. Too small for Japanese manufacturers to care about...

Best regards,

Afonso.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page