Anyone have the Sony DVP-NS999ES Yet? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 689 Old 10-27-2002, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Olá Afonso, tudo bem. Thanks again.
The display will be a Marantz VP 12S2 DLP pj.
It seems that the Sony 999ES may be better than the Denon 1600, right?
I say in pq & bq.
Viva.
CarlosP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 689 Old 10-27-2002, 01:20 PM

Olá de novo Carlos!

Well, the Marantz does have DCDi (by the way, good choice! :)), so if I were you, I'd go for the Sony, and feed the Marantz with interlaced video if you see the chroma bug. DCDi will mask it quite nicely.

And yes, on paper the Sony seems better, and since Peter said that he feels the Sony is better than the Panasonic RP91 (which is on the same league of the DVD-1600)...

So, go for the Sony!

... unless, of course, you want to wait for a DVD player with DVI-out, of course... :D

Melhores cumprimentos,

Afonso.
post #183 of 689 Old 10-27-2002, 05:24 PM

Thanks Ian,
How difficult is it to change the output from progressive to interlaced through the menus, if that is, it can be done that way?

Thanks again,
Scott
post #184 of 689 Old 10-27-2002, 08:04 PM

There are a few issues here. In regard to the chroma delay: It is described as “Adjusts colors that appear to have shifted horizontally.†The control is 0,1, and 2. The video controls I previously listed have a number of control types from sliders, to the 123- off- etc type, to a scaled chart for gamma correction.

As to switching between interlaced and progressive: There is a three-way component video out/scan switch on the back (interlace, progressive, and selectable). Set to selectable and set the menu to whatever. The menu for that function is nested on the second level and is simple to find (once you know where it is).

A further observation on this interlaced, progressive output topic: I tried using the interlaced-DRC simply to see if the c-bug displayed. I think the PQ of the progressive output is superior to any other combination I have previously discussed. I understand the underlying mania regarding the c-bug, as I have written off players based on that issue alone. I have seen pictures representing said critter, and I would avoid players that exhibited it flagrantly. To find it on the 999es, I had to go hunting for worst case (Toy Story) and found it to be very subtle in the moving film (it was a little more apparent on the menu banner). Had I not known where to look, and look carefully, I doubt I would have discovered it. On the other hand the RP-56 and DRC had noticeable red flicker in the spots that had subtle c-bug on 999es progressive. The 999es progressive output PQ is outstanding and I personally would not compromise it trying to avoid something I doubt you’ll ever notice… However, I am an individual who has been known to fixate on, and been driven to distraction by this kind of stuff myself. So if you are similarly afflicted, I advise you try an audition hooked up to the same kind of hardware you intent to use.
post #185 of 689 Old 10-27-2002, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian McLeod

A further observation on this interlaced, progressive output topic: I tried using the interlaced-DRC simply to see if the c-bug displayed. I think the PQ of the progressive output is superior to any other combination I have previously discussed. I understand the underlying mania regarding the c-bug, as I have written off players based on that issue alone. I have seen pictures representing said critter, and I would avoid players that exhibited it flagrantly. To find it on the 999es, I had to go hunting for worst case (Toy Story) and found it to be very subtle in the moving film (it was a little more apparent on the menu banner). Had I not known where to look, and look carefully, I doubt I would have discovered it. On the other hand the RP-56 and DRC had noticeable red flicker in the spots that had subtle c-bug on 999es progressive. The 999es progressive output PQ is outstanding and I personally would not compromise it trying to avoid something I doubt you’ll ever notice… However, I am an individual who has been known to fixate on, and been driven to distraction by this kind of stuff myself. So if you are similarly afflicted, I advise you try an audition hooked up to the same kind of hardware you intent to use.
Ian,

I completely agreed with you in every aspect !

My experience during the last week with the 999ES is wonderful. My new DVD player is an upgrade from the 9000ES.

Enjoy !

:D

GuelinFP
post #186 of 689 Old 10-27-2002, 09:51 PM

Gracias.Thanks, Afonso & Ian.
I think I had enough to decide. I will go for the 999ES.
Hope to get it in 2 weeks. Will let you know as soon as I get it.
Lets stay in touch.
Viva the 999ES.
CarlosP
post #187 of 689 Old 10-28-2002, 05:48 AM
cam

BTW, does anyone know if this player can output PAL progressive right out of the box ? (I know it is hard to find out as it is only available in North America at the moment)

Thx,
Cam
post #188 of 689 Old 10-28-2002, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ian. Can anyone say how the standard CD playback sounds compared to the 9000ES and then to a high end CD player? Seems like a winner so far.
I'd by the Arcam FMJ27 in a minute if it was under $1200, but over 2 grand is a bit out of my range right now, and the Sony 999ES may be close enough for comfort.
post #189 of 689 Old 10-28-2002, 04:50 PM

When the Sony S-7000 came out many reviewers stated that it did a very good job with regular CDs. They did say that onlya CD player that cost at least as much or more ($1200) may have a slight edge.

I'm not sure if stand alone CD players have made many advances in sonics in the last couple of years equal to the advance of DVD players. I'd be willing to bet the DVD players have closed the gap somewhat although the higher end CD players may still have a bit of an edge. Some of the really expensive DVD players may hold their own against even these players.
post #190 of 689 Old 10-28-2002, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay, as I said before, I did not see any sign of the "Bug" while watching the "Fifth Element." I got my hands on "Toy Story" today and tried to find the "bug." I projected the image to 120" (I normally watch it at 110") and finally noticed what Ian reported; you can see very slight stripes within the blue border of the word Toy on the menu. I had to walk right up to the screen to notice this.

I also tried this with an RP-91 & RP-82; there were no stripes with the 91, but they were there with the 82, although very slight. Now here is the kicker: The reds on the menu looked troubled on both the 91 and 82 when compared to the Sony. On the Panny machines the reds were crawling and flickering, whereas they were rich and rock solid with the Sony. As a matter of fact, there was a lot less overall noise in the menu image with the Sony as compared to both panny machines.

As far as I'm concerned, the Chroma Bug is a moot issue with the Sony, unless of course you enjoy sitting three feet away from a 120" screen and enjoy hunting for the bug. :D

Happy Viewing,
Peter M
post #191 of 689 Old 10-28-2002, 09:17 PM

Hello everyone. Been away for a bit from the thread and VERY happy to see the chroma bug issue fleshed out nicely.

My order is placed on one of these and am extremely happy about the decision now more than ever, since I am caught up on the thread.

Now, to shift the subject to audio for a moment. I would like to get your opinion.

I will have the 999ES connected to a STR-DA555ES receiver. I cannot find anything on the DAC in the docs. But, I am wondering, once I get the the 999ES should I let the 999ES do the 5.1/DTS decoding via analog outputs or go with the digital output into my receiver?

What about for CD's?

I would not even have thought to ponder this but for that this is the "latest greatest" technology from Sony and that the DAC may be better than in my receiver. Any thoughts?

I will A/B compare when I get it to find the answer, but though I would ask you knowledgeable lot out there.

Thanks!

Xphile

"In the quest for beautiful sound and vision, you will go broke"
post #192 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

What can you folks say about the VIDEO based material deinterlacing capabilities of this player? Can it do it better than the Pioneer 47Ai can?

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #193 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 05:07 AM

Hello!

I just remembered one question I had about the 999ES. Can anybody somehow check if it *reads* DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and/or DVD+RW disks? That's becoming a somewhat important "feature" that's definitely nice to have.

Best regards,

Afonso.
post #194 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Xphile, the best thing to do is simply try both. I would bet the newer Sony has the better DAC. Also, the difference between them is somewhat cable dependent. Even if one DAC is better, you might not have an equal situation as far as interconnects are concerned. I use the same manufacturer for both cables, Acoustic Zen Mc2 for digital, Silver Reference Mk. II for analogue. They are very similar in voicing, so I feel I'm getting a decent comparison when comparing DAC's. Videonut, thanks for the input.
post #195 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 08:09 AM

My 999 arrives Wed.
post #196 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ainfante:

DVD-R discs play without any problems. And the various picture adjustment settings easily addressess any "lightness" problems some are seeing with homemade recordings.

Peter M
post #197 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My unit will arrive tomorrow as well.:D

Alpha LS Guy
Formerly known as Maggie Guy
post #198 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

good luck MG, keep us posted.
post #199 of 689 Old 10-29-2002, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Can anyone compare the interlaced output of the 999 with previous Sony's (e.g. the 9000 or 7700)?

I can't use the progressive output as I use an external de-interlacer/scaler (going 720p to front projector).

I currently use a DVP-7700 and am wondering if the 999ES would be an improvement in PQ (or whether the improvements are only in the progressive output).

Thanks,
Ian
post #200 of 689 Old 10-30-2002, 08:25 AM

I hope those of you expecting your 999 today get them. I haven't heard anything as of yet but hope it's "anytime now" as my dealer told me. Be sure to post your feelings and results after you've used them awhile.
post #201 of 689 Old 10-30-2002, 11:16 AM

Where are you (who have recently acquired 999es') getting your 999es's from?

I have been on Oade.com's wait list for several weeks now. I was told that I missed being sent one from Oade's first (of about three weeks ago) shipment by just two names and that I will be "definately" get one from the second shipment.

Oade. com told me that they are still wating for their second shipment.

Three weeks ago (when the first shipent went out) I was told in about two weeks.

A week and a half ago I was told in about a week.

Monday (Oct. 28) I was told in about a week.

I was also told that Sony is air shipping their ES series into the US, therefore, the longshoremen's strike is not a factor. I wonder if the 999es is in such demand that Sony is allocating only a few to each dealer.

Paul
post #202 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

stilespj,

Try: www.mydigitaluniverse.com. I e-mailed them yesterday and they told me that they have the 999ES in stock. Also try Crutchfield. Last time I checked, they had it in stock.

Good Luck.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #203 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Received my unit yesterday. It was fairly late by the time I got home and was able to hook up the unit. I have left a CD playing over night to start the burn-in process and will post my initial impressions on a new thread as soon as I have a little more time to evaluate the player.

Alpha LS Guy
Formerly known as Maggie Guy
post #204 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats MG. Hope it's great in your system.
post #205 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats MG. Hope it's great in your system. My 9000ES took a looooong time to break in, so please update us as time passes. Also in the 9000ES the SACD section and the CD section needed their own break in times. I know there are some who don't believe in break in at all, but we can always discuss that in another thread. I've been involved in audio in some way for 30 years now, and I DO hear a difference after break in on most, but not all A/V equipment.
post #206 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Martin,

How does one know when break-in has occurred? How long does it take? Must it be done with DVDs as well?

stilespj,

Can you please enlighten me on this "longshoremen's strike" I keep hearing about? Forgive my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #207 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by ainfante

By the way, has anyone opened their 999ES yet? Knowing now it has the chroma bug, I'm pretty curious to find what MPEG chipset it is using. On the Sony DVP-S7000, which used a Sony chip, there wasn't a chroma bug, and on the latter players, that used an LSI chip, the problem was actually firmware (the LSI chip does have the capability of upsampling chroma properly but Sony "forgot" to properly feed it the flag and/or cadence info).

The 999ES uses the Analog Devices ADV7304A 14-bit D/A converter for picture, multichannel DSD is done by Sony's own CXD2753R chipset.

Sony also developed a new chip, the CXD9722, which allows for time alignment for 5.1 speakers when playing back DSD material. This is the first implementation on any SACD player.
post #208 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

MP, it is a gradual process, but noticeable change happens in stages. Typically something sounds either "thin", lacking bass or "dark" compressing highs. The original harshness receeds around 30 hours, around 85 hours things open up and the acoustic environment properties of a recording become clearer. At this stage you may be done, but around 150-200 hours you get less grain, more low level details and overall balance. Each situation is unique. I have had cables that sound wonderful right out of the box, and cables that took almost 200 hours to settle. Listen intermittently for short periods of time and differences will be obvious. Listen for long periods of time, and your ears adjust to bad sound. Good luck
post #209 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 01:00 PM

Glad you all have your 999s. My Sony Rep just told me my player is still on a boat ( because of the strike) I've been waiting five weeks now!
post #210 of 689 Old 10-31-2002, 05:21 PM

Salesman at J&R Music World in NYC told me that the 999ES plays DVD-A discs . . . is that true?

I would have though Sony had way too much invested in SACD to do something so reasonable.

. . . personally I wouldn't really care, except that the Dark Side of the Moon albumn is apparently being released on DVD-A.

B

PS: The 8 lbs that was shaved off the 9000es to make the 999es scares the hell out of me. The 9000es was a thing of beauty (to hell with the picture quality!), and as much as logic (and the preceeding discussion in this thread) tells me that the PQ is bound to be better on the 999 I'm really tempted to buy a used 9000es . . .
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page