Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 689 Old 09-04-2002, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious if anyone has gotten their hands on one of these units yet?

Alpha LS Guy
Formerly known as Maggie Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 689 Old 09-04-2002, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Good question. The 9000ES has been the benchmark "value" player since its release. Near reference video, and audio quality close enough to the very high end to satisfy this audiophile. I am hoping that the video quality compares to the Arcam FMJ23 and that audio is at least as good as the 9000ES, and maybe better. I recently A-B'd the Denon 9000 next to the Arcam, and it was no contest. The Denon was lovely but the Arcam has as good a picture as DVD is capable of producing to date, and clearly bettered the Denon. I was fooled everytime into feeling as if I was watching film. I'm hoping for the same feeling from Sony's 999ES.
post #3 of 689 Old 10-02-2002, 02:57 PM

OneCall has them as of 10/2/02 !

See Here
post #4 of 689 Old 10-03-2002, 07:49 AM

I should be getting one any day now. I have never heard SACD but I can let you know how it does on movies and CDs.
post #5 of 689 Old 10-03-2002, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bob Saylor, please post your opinions/comments as soon as possible! :D
post #6 of 689 Old 10-05-2002, 08:42 AM

I was told that I'd have it either Monday or Tuesday. I'll post my opinions as soon as I get a chance to put it through it's paces.
post #7 of 689 Old 10-05-2002, 03:22 PM

Guys,

We received yesterday one of the two 999ES we ordered!

Cosmetically, it looks nice but never like the 9000ES.

It weights only 18 pounds compared to the 35 pounds of the 9000ES!

The 999ES plays more formats than the 9000ES (DVD-R / DVD-RW / MP3's) and also multi channel SACD.

If you see it's bottom cover Ugh! , it looks like the cheap Sony DVD and CD players, and by the way this bottom cover is not flat. It is a real pain to put anti-resonating cone feet under it!

Let's talk VIDEO!

When we first hookup the 999ES and switched it on we really do not notice any improvement over the 9000ES in the video playback.

Important to KNOW: Before buying the 999ES we had the 9000ES connected to the Sony 11HT LCD projector for almost a year with great satisfaction. It is very important to point out that as posted by many magazine reviewers we are using the 9000ES in interlace mode and the 11HT is doing the conversion with better results that using the progressive output in the 9000ES.

WE HAVEN'T WATCH MORE DVD MATERIAL BECAUSE WE ARE EXPERIENCING A PROBLEM WITH THE DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT ON THE 999 ES.

We really cannot tell if there is any improvement in the video performance of the 999ES over the 9000ES because we have spent about nine (9) hours trying to get sound out of the DVD discs and CD's from the 999ES and it is not really working. We have checked every possible thing that may cause this to happen.

The 999 ES set up menu is very similar to the one on the 9000ES.

Every time we set the Digital output on the setup menu and try to play a DVD movie, no sound comes out!

Then when we check the settings again, the AUDIO settings are to our surprise changed to analog. Maybe a Gremlin did that! We are experiencing the same thing again and again.

Finally we put back in the reliable 9000ES and we got sound out of it!!!!!

We are going to call Sony telephone technical support to get some help.

We will keep you all posted.

If someone else have one new 999ES DVD player, please share you experience with it!

PS: We are waiting for the other 999ES we ordered to confirm if we experience the same problem with it. It should be here on Monday. Anyway we are going to wait for the trouble shooting from Sony support before opening the second unit.

GuelinFP
:confused:

GuelinFP
post #8 of 689 Old 10-05-2002, 03:33 PM

Guelin,
Thanks for posting your initial comments on your new player! I'm sure you will be able to sort out the audio issues, but it is a shame to go through that pain now! Hope tech support is helpful and the issue does not require you to send it back.

Good luck and pls keep us posted when you have a chance!
post #9 of 689 Old 10-06-2002, 08:23 AM

Guys,

We have not had a chance yet to call Sony support, but we have not been able get sound out of the 999ES in our Home Theater system.

FACT:

In our quest to make it sound, we decided to hook it up to our Mitsubishi 55" HDTV TV and it really ROCKS !!!!!!!!

The 999ES is working as expected using the AUDIO ANALOG OUTPUTS in the Mitsubishi setup. This new DVD player is everything Sony has said and we all wished for.

The quality of the image is impeccable, amazing, ......... !!!!!!!!

Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive technology is a breakthrough in the DVD scenario.

It seems that everything they claim is reality. See Sony description.

The DVP-NS999ES features Sony's proprietary Precision Cinema Progressive system, which incorporates Pixel-by-Pixel I/P Conversion technology to augment and balance DVD-video elements and ensure excellent picture quality. The conversion method removes distortion usually found in original formats to optimize every area of the video scene. The Pixel-by-Pixel Active I/P Conversion process-- with still, slow, and motion modes-- sharpens both slow and fast moving video objects to maintain the integrity of the video's source material.

The new DVD player's 14bit/108MHz Video D/A Converter provides accurate color rendition and gray scale from the deepest black to the brightest highlights.

Additional elements of the Precision Cinema Progressive system include the Super Sub Alias Filter, which achieves better signal-to-noise ratio and superb frequency response resulting in crisp, clean images and the V-Edge Compensation, which virtually eliminates jagged edges on diagonal lines. Also, the system's Noise Shaped Videoâ„¢ (NSV1) feature uses the sigma delta modulation technique to reduce video noise for added picture quality. By incorporating these sophisticated technologies, the DVP-NS999ES produces exceptional quality video playback.

Sony have never disappointed us and although we fear that this was the first time something like that happened, we hope their record continue to be impeccable in our history channels once we figure out what is causing the digital audio problem.

We think that the situation reported before on the Digital audio output issue with our Home Theater setup is maybe some kind of misunderstanding on our part with the Audio setup or a system malfunction and we hope Sony will take us through it once we contact them.

Hey, these are Great News and we think we have a WINNER !

We will keep you posted on the 999ES digital audio output issue.

:)

GuelinFP
post #10 of 689 Old 10-06-2002, 10:05 AM

And now for the US$1,000 question:

Does the 999ES have the chroma bug or not?

Best regards,

Afonso.
post #11 of 689 Old 10-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I hope it's a good unit. I'd always consider SONY dvd players just for multi-channel SACD.
But for video.... because they use their proprietary deinterlacing solution (or Genesis) their dvd players seem to be rather poor at deinterlacing. And this 999ES doesn't look like an exeption.
Sony's proprietary Precision Cinema Progressive system... :rolleyes:
Maybe...their "Pixel-by-Pixel I/P Conversion technology" might be revolutionary like it sounds. :p

"Additional elements of the Precision Cinema Progressive system include the Super Sub Alias Filter..."
Thank for that. :) Their previous model - DVP-S9000ES has serious problem with high-freq.

XA777ES or NS999ES.......

Desperately in pursuit of the perfect image....
post #12 of 689 Old 10-07-2002, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bump!
post #13 of 689 Old 10-07-2002, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone posted this on the High Rez Highway.

I received my Sony DVP-NS999ES today via FedEx from Oade. Their customer service is excellent! It's really hard to believe how fast they got this unit to me. Way to go Oade! Anyway, the first thing I notice about the 999 is it's construction. It's not the 'Statement' piece it's predecessor, the S9000ES, is. It's weight (16lbs)and construction is more main stream Sony. It is attractive but doesn't have that expensive look of the 9000. The remote is a fairly large plastic type with a small LCD window at the top to display various functions. Gold plated RCAs litter the back of the unit. The cool visual feature of this player is the ultra thin metal draw that slips out stealthly, begging for a CD, then quietly slips back in under the ilumination of a blue lighted clear window. From here, if you look closely, you can see the CD descend onto the spindle. Pretty cool! On to it's performance.
Redbook CD: Smooth, transparent and plenty of bass weight. In comparison to my Sony X779ES $2000 32lb CD unit, the 999 is more lively, provinding a more illuminated soundscape making the 779 seem dark and closed in. Soundstage dept is almost the same as the 779 but not quite as deep. This could be due to the 779's more laid back nature.

SACD: Unfortunately, I only have the Sony SACD sampler to compare again Redbook but fortunately there is a cut from Miles Davis Kind of Blue on the sampler that I compared to the Redbook version I own. In a word, SACD absolutely trumps the Redbook cut of this track! I still can't believe that a recording this old has this much detail. Cymbals are pristine in precision and realism. The acoustic bass has real weight and body. You can hear the spit in the mouthpiece of Davis's trumpet! Truly amazing!

Video DVD: Compared to my aging Sony S560D DVD player, the first thing I noticed was that the colors in Shrek were more lifelike and not as vivid on the 999. It's almost like the 560 was imparting a Technicolor influence on the picture which is not noticible until you compare it to the 999. Watching the Wizard of Oz, for the first time I noticed how bad the makeup job was done on the wicked witch! Blotchy green and clearly not coating the whole face, the 999's stunning detail retrieval revealed these flaws in her makeup. I also noticed scenes where the witch's castle was clearly a backdrop painting against a forground cluster of trees. This player will reveal detail the 560 glossed over.

Summary: With the exception of the lack of high end build, this is, in my opinion, a state of the art performer that, givin it's $895 street price, should absolutely shame any competitor on a price to performance basis.

Alpha LS Guy
Formerly known as Maggie Guy
post #14 of 689 Old 10-07-2002, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how the 999ES compares with the Pioneer DV-47Ai. Any ideas?

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #15 of 689 Old 10-07-2002, 02:26 PM

My 999ES was supposed to come today or tomorrow. Well, it didn't come today. After reading the reviews here, I'm really getting anxious now.
post #16 of 689 Old 10-07-2002, 05:14 PM

Does this unit scale 4:3 material for use with lock-on-full-in-progressive-mode displays?
post #17 of 689 Old 10-08-2002, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

mpedris, I haven't seen the DV47 yet, but I traded my Pioneer DV-05 for a Sony 7700, then upgraded to the Pioneer DV-37 , which I then sold to buy the 9000ES. Both times the Sony clearly (pun intended) outperformed the very good Pioneer. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same between the 999ES and the 47A. Just a guess though. The DVD-A/SACD feature is a BIG factor in favor of the 47A.
post #18 of 689 Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 PM

I received my 999ES yesterday, Tuesday, and got to play with it a bit. It worked just fine with no problems whatsoever.

The video is great to my uneducated eye. Several scenes looked more three dimensional than the sames scenes played on a Denon 3800 I just sent back. The picture is very sharp and detailed with excellent color balance. I have never noticed the chroma bug on any of my players so I'm not the one to comment on that problem.

The sound is excellent. The bass and strings from Holly Cole's Temptation CD has never sounded better.

All in all, I think this is an excellent machine.

Bob
post #19 of 689 Old 10-09-2002, 01:14 PM

Bob,

I am glad to know that you are satisfied with your new 999ES !

Since we still have problems with the Audio digital output in our 999ES as reported earlier this week, Are you using that digital output in yours?

If so, Does it work with CD and DVD playback ? Can you hear sound out of the Audio Digital output RCA (Coax) connection ?

We will appreciate your comments.

GuelinFP
post #20 of 689 Old 10-09-2002, 02:13 PM

Guelin,

Can you comment on the chroma bug - how noticeable is it?
post #21 of 689 Old 10-09-2002, 04:05 PM

Guelin

Yes, I'm using the digital coax output. Haven't tried the optical output yet.

Bob
post #22 of 689 Old 10-09-2002, 05:27 PM

Guelin

Yes I'm using the digital coax output. The sound is good on both DVDs and CDs.

Bob
post #23 of 689 Old 10-11-2002, 02:00 PM

Well Sony Canada finally posted the 999ES on their website.

Sony Canada Website - 999ES DVD player

And what do ya know.. Only a 12 month warrantee. Bummer :mad: $1999CDN - even more of a bummer :mad: -gh
post #24 of 689 Old 10-11-2002, 09:35 PM

Bob,

I really appreciate your feedback.

I just pick up at the post station late afternoon the second 999ES we order.

The first one that we assume is defective was returned for a refund.

I will give the new one a try tomorrow !

I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED

WHAT ABOUT THE VIDEO QUALITY ?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Trapp
Guelin

Yes I'm using the digital coax output. The sound is good on both DVDs and CDs.

Bob
:D

GuelinFP
post #25 of 689 Old 10-12-2002, 10:37 AM

Guelin

The picture quality is excellent! A little better than the Denon 3800, in my opinion. The picture is more three dimensional and the color is great. I played several superbit movies on the 3800 and on the 999es and I prefer the Sony. A very film-like pictue.

Bob
post #26 of 689 Old 10-12-2002, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know of any store in the U.S. where I can order the 999ES online?

Thanks.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #27 of 689 Old 10-12-2002, 04:55 PM

I'm still waiting for my 999es. I'm hoping to get the same picture improvement the rest of you have.

I'm using a Toshiba 3108 right now. It has been a good performer since I bought it a little over 3 years ago. And it provides a very good picture. If the Sony 999ES can beat it, the picture would be fantastic.

I have a new 57" HDTV so I should be able to tell any differences pretty easy.
post #28 of 689 Old 10-12-2002, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Trapp
Guelin

The picture quality is excellent! A little better than the Denon 3800, in my opinion. The picture is more three dimensional and the color is great. I played several superbit movies on the 3800 and on the 999es and I prefer the Sony. A very film-like pictue.

Bob
OK, thanks for the video comparison...but can you (and others) compare audio quality between the Denon 3800 and the Sonys, please ? Thanks!
post #29 of 689 Old 10-13-2002, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a good question Wolvernole, the 9000ES excelled in audio quality in it's class and the SACD section was second only to Sony's SACD1 and their 777ES. But Denon is known for attention to audio quality while Sony can be hit or miss, so the results of a face-off should be interesting. Thanks for the observations Bob, what are you using as your display?
post #30 of 689 Old 10-15-2002, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Still wonder if the chroma bug is present. Bob Saylor, did you get yours yet?
SACD performance, anyone? Guelin, more details please.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page