Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #211 of 234 Old 10-03-2002, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a slick machine

I had a little time this evening so I played around some more with the HS2...I inserted a PCMCIA adapter containing the multimedia card from my JVC digital camera in the card slot...All worked great...Simple to use...Recorded all the photos to my HDD...Did a slideshow, etc...Works great...Seems to be restrictions as to the size of photos, but works well...

Also connected my camera to the firewire port on the front...Not only does it work, but the HS2 automates the whole process...It started the camera playing...Automatically started recording to the HDD...And stopped when it hit the end of what little amount I had recorded on the camera...

Pretty slick piece of equipment...

GreenWing
newnan, ga USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 234 Old 10-03-2002, 11:57 PM

Thanks Greenwing, I've been waiting to hear about the firewire feature. How did the playback look after the video was encoded and saved on the hard drive? Did you compare that to playing the same thing directly from your camera to your TV? I'm very curious about the any quality differences after the HS2 encodes the DV to Mpeg2.

Thanks again!
post #213 of 234 Old 10-04-2002, 05:39 AM

I'd be very interested in how the HS2 records DV camcorder footage to DVD-R via firewire. For me, an A-B comparison of the original DV footage versus the DVD-R is an important consideration. Also important is the compatibility of the DVD-R with other DVD players.

Jeff
post #214 of 234 Old 10-04-2002, 08:24 AM

My setup is a bit too complex to easily do A/B comparisons...I use a Sony 10ht projector which is mounted inside a cabinet...Not easy to get in there for changing inputs, etc...Overall picture quality in my system is not as good as a smaller TV, unless it is High Definition input...This is because the screen is 12 foot diagonal...Normal stuff like a home made movie isn't going to look perfect anyway...But it did look pretty good in my opinion...

I guess since this is a sensitive issue for some folks, maybe the only way for them to determine if the HS2 is right for them would be to purchase one from a dealer with a generous return policy...

So far, I am not planning on returning mine...:-)

GreenWing
newnan, ga USA
post #215 of 234 Old 10-05-2002, 11:08 AM

Has anyone heard whether or not Panasonic is going to release the DMR HS2 in Black?
post #216 of 234 Old 10-05-2002, 03:25 PM

What is the return policy of these online stores (i.e. datavis.com)? Some seem to insinuate that sales are final. With some of the reported problems, I'd like to be certain that I can return and the B&M stores seem to be charging $200.00 more.
How accurate is the editing?? For example, can you edit down to the frame (like with a flying erase head VCR)?
What is the picture quality when recording to HD (obviously depends on quality level chosen)? But are there any artifacts or pixelation?
How are chapters/titles handled? From what I understand, there are automatic chapter stops every 5 minutes. But if i wanted to record several skits/sketches onto a DVD, could I somehow label via text (nothing too fancy) each sketch and be able to navigate directly to a skit or play all? And are there any pauses between or is it seamless?
post #217 of 234 Old 10-05-2002, 03:57 PM

I would recommend staying away from datavis.com. I have been waiting 10 days for my HS2 to arrive. I know others have ordered from them without a problem, but my view right now is to try a different company...

Don
post #218 of 234 Old 10-05-2002, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Try Aaxes.com, I ordered it Weds, it shipped that day ($20 Airborne Expr ground) and tracking shows it getting here Mon. Price $751 + shipping. Found them on Pricegrabber.com and they have great customer reviews.

Check 'em out.

Update: Unfortunately, it looks like Aaxes.com's price for the HS2 went up to $778 + shipping ($20 ground). Still not a bad price, but I guess I lucked out with the $751 price. YMMV.

Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #219 of 234 Old 10-06-2002, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hearth I would recommend staying away from datavis.com. I have been waiting 10 days for my HS2 to arrive. I know others have ordered from them without a problem, but my view right now is to try a different company...Don
The HS2 was my first experience with DataVis.com...I used them because of the price and the fact that someone else here had used them...The only problems I had with them is that they did not ship the day I ordered, and they did not double box the unit for shipping...I did not receive notification via email of a tracking number...I called them and was told their system was down, but that it would be there 2nd day UPS...It did indeed arrive OK and without problems...

GreenWing
newnan, ga USA
post #220 of 234 Old 10-06-2002, 02:13 AM

Ken,

Glad to hear of your success with datavis.com. Maybe in a couple of weeks, I will be more forgiving (although I have the same list of complaints that you do, plus over 10 days without a unit!). However, I certainly will not do business with them again, and I cannot recommend them to others considering that their price isn't that much better than other stores out there...

My $0.02...
Don
post #221 of 234 Old 10-07-2002, 01:13 PM

A friend of mine who lives a few blocks away and I ordered each the same morning from datavis.com.
I have the same complaint as greenwing - they shipped only 2 days later and did not double box.
My friend never got his. When he called (after I got mine) he was told that there was something they had to verify with his CC and that they tried contacting him with no luck. My friend has answering machines at home and at his business and his email works fine .... He canceled and ordered elsewhere. I am not recommending datavis.com
post #222 of 234 Old 10-07-2002, 03:08 PM

OK, now I feel justified in ripping datavis.com to shreds:

When I ordered from them 2 weeks ago, I specifically called them to ask if they had the item in stock. I was told that the item was in stock. So, I ordered from them. Last welek, when I called to find out the status of my item, I was told that it had shipped out.

I just got off of the phone with them. I was told that the items were being shipped from Panasonic to them as we speak. What the heck?

So, apparently I was lied to. I promptly canceled my order. I called ecost.com, but they were out of stock. Anybody know of another place that has them in stock for a reasonable price?

Don
post #223 of 234 Old 10-07-2002, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Per my post above, check out Aaxes.com. Received my unit today as promised (4 day from AZ). 14 Day return policy (restock fee if not defective). $778 + $20 shipped Airborne Express. (Too bad they don't still have it at $751). Single boxed tho'. Pricegrabber.com has a good listing of online vendors including shipping charges and whether they have the HS2 in stock.

post #224 of 234 Old 10-07-2002, 03:29 PM

I bought mine from a local dealer called Sound Track(ultimate electronics). They were selling it for 999$, but i told them i could get it online for 800, and they matched the internet price! Thats pretty much unheard of from a Brick&morter store. I was pleased as were they to get my biz. Plus i got 18months np/ni. So i would recomend them if you can get the price down.
post #225 of 234 Old 10-07-2002, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hearth So, apparently I was lied to.
Bummer!...Sorry to hear that...I guess I got lucky dealing with them...

GreenWing
newnan, ga USA
post #226 of 234 Old 10-07-2002, 09:50 PM

Just posting the URL for the special DVD promotion that Panasonic has going on now...

Receive 5 DVD-RAM and 5 DVD-R discs by mail with the purchase of the DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder...

Not a bad deal...Free is always nice !

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/dvd_recorder/prmo_dvd_recorder.asp

GreenWing
newnan, ga USA
post #227 of 234 Old 10-09-2002, 02:42 PM

Vic Ferrari,

You are the man! As you can see, your above recommendation about Aaxes.com was posted at 2:15 PST on Monday. I read it about 10 minutes later, jumped on the website, and had the order submitted by 3:00 PST. Two days later, the box holding my HS2 has just been delivered! Man, after waiting 10 days for a no-ship from datavis.com, I can't believe that I got it so fast!

I highly recommend Aaxes.com if you are interested in the HS2! I can't wait to get home from work and set it up!!

Don
post #228 of 234 Old 10-10-2002, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Don,

Glad it worked out for you. My only complaint is that my unit was not double boxed. Otherwise I'm happy with both Aaxes.com and my HS2.

Vic

P.S. Looks like Aaxes is sold out of HS2.

post #229 of 234 Old 10-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Let me add my positive feedback of aaxes.com. I ordered the HS2 on Sunday and it arrived on Wed. The machine is really nice. Never had a Tivo or Replay but this handles everything I need it for. The only thing that's missing, or at least I haven't figured it out yet is about that RF out connector. I've been using an old TV to monitor VCR inputs through channel 3. I thought the TV/Video button on the remote would send the video and audio out via RF like VCRs do. Not in my house. So I went into the garage and dug up a 30-year old Radio Shack RF modulator that I have never used, until today. Works great! Added bonus is that now even copy-protected DVDs can be sent to any TV in the house connected to my master RF switcher.
post #230 of 234 Old 10-11-2002, 04:58 PM

I just picked up a brand new DMR HS2 at Best Buy for $764.99!!

I asked the salesman if they price matched the internet and they said no, however, he would "see what he could do." He came back with a price of $849.99 and wrote it on a price match invoice to take to the register. I also grabbed a box of DVD-RAM discs and DVD-R discs.

At the register I presented a preferred customer coupon for 15% off DVD recordable media, and 10% off DVD recorders. Net on the DMR HS2 is $764.99. Is this a great country or what?

Corey J.
post #231 of 234 Old 10-11-2002, 05:50 PM

Is there a way you could scan your Best Buy receipt and send it to me (ernest@purdue.edu)? I want to prove to the Best Buy salesperson here that another Best Buy store will match an Internet price. They won't deal with me at all! I also have one of the preferred customer coupons, but it's only good for a few more days.

If you can't scan the receipt, could you give me the location and phone number of the store, plus the name of the salesperson you dealt with?

Thanks!

Ernest Stalnaker
Lafayette, Indiana
post #232 of 234 Old 10-14-2002, 05:50 AM

Wondering where you folks got your Best Buy preferred customer coupons? 10% off dvd players/recorders from a brick and mortar store sure sounds good. Thanks
post #233 of 234 Old 10-14-2002, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The Best Buy coupons are direct mail coupons, typically sent to Best Buy credit card holders. I believe if you go to the store and sign up for a credit card, they'll give you 10% off your first purchase on the spot. The card typically has some decent terms, such as purchases over $299 are 6 mos. same as cash and they often run 18 mos/no interest (w/ minimum payment) promotions for large ticket items such as big screen TVs and Laptops.

post #234 of 234 Old 10-14-2002, 08:18 AM

I don't have a Best Buy credit card, however, I do you use my Platinum VISA there. I still get their preferred customer stuff regularly.

Corey J
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page