Inexpensive VCR with S-Video output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2001, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I know this forum is for DVD's -- but there's no forum for VCR's so I figured I ask here.

I'd like to find an inexpensive VCR with S-Video output. Doesn't need to be fancy, just play regular VHS tapes, standard cable-ready tuner, stereo output, S-Video output.

Refurbished or used would be fine.

Any thoughts on what units would work for me and/or where I might find them? I don't really want to buy a full blown SVHS unit for the small needs I've got.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2001, 06:53 PM

I'm under the impression that an S-Video output is a waste on "VHS" as the 'composite' signal has all the bandwidth that VHS can handle. OTOH, S-VHS was the first device that offered S-Video (that I know of) and the recorded material is a good match for the S/V connection. Do you know otherwise, or are you just looking to use an S/V "goes-inta" jack on your a/v receiver.

...Neil
Old 10-11-2001, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you want to do like Neil said with a home theater reciever, you can get a composite to SVHS converter. They are $20 at Radio Shack. A bit expensive, IMO but that what I have and it works fine. Neil is correct, SVHS VCRs were the first components to use SVHS connections, then it caught in in the DBS and DVD market.

Steve

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.3.0_29
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0972, HR24-200 Running 0802
Old 10-11-2001, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only VHS decks I've ever seen with S-Video out were Panasonic Proline decks about 10 years ago. So, you'll be getting a S-VHS deck. Buy either of the two cheapest JVC models, which are the same except the cheapest one lacks a flying erase head for clean, noise-free edit points. The cheapy is the 3800 or the newer model 3900. The step-up version is the 4800 and I think it's new model is designated 5900.

If somebody carries Toshiba S-VHS machines in your area, they're worth a look too. They don't seem to have very good dealer coverage, however.

the JVC 3800/3900 will cost in the $130 to $160 range. The step up 4800/5900 will be about $160 to $220.

All the S-machines now do 3 formats: VHS, S-VHS-ET (Expansion Technology), and S-VHS. If all you want to do is VHS, you set it for that. If you make new recordings I strongly suggest using S-VHS. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

Stop DFAST, tell the MPAA to eat static!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 10-11-2001, 09:20 PM

Phillips VR 960 SVHS can be had for less than $130 at Circuit City. That's not much more than a regular VHS. Tapes regular VHS, SVHS on SVHS tape, and SVHS ET on regular VHS tape.

------------------
"Would you like to play spider with me?" -Spider Baby

my dvd collection

"Would you like to play spider with me?" -Spider Baby

Old 10-11-2001, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

What I'm doing is that I've got S-Video input on my video capture card in my computer and would like to use the external tuner of the VCR and tie the output of the VCR to the computer.

The Composite-to-SVideo adapter sounds interesting. Certainly the price is right -- but how much does it distort the signal? If I use my standard VCR with the adapter, am I going to notice a significant degradation of the video signal to the computer?

It sounds like the alternative is to get a new SVHS VCR since none of the standard VCR's seem to have the S-Video output.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 10-12-2001, 02:58 AM

Hi,
I'd be surprised if your capture card doesn't have some sort of composite video input or some sort of "adapter" to allow you to input a composite signal. You might like to check with the manufacturer.
Most cheap adapters which convert composite to s-video aren't usually very clever and you wouldn't have the extra luminance bandwidth (i.e. black and white picture "detail") that you would get with the s-video. However, with a composite signal it probably won't make much difference to what you are trying to do.
If you are considering buying a vcr anyway, I'd go with a new s-vhs machine (as Rachael suggests) because they are very cheap and it would be silly to buy a regular vhs machine. Otherwise, give the adapter a try.

Brian
Old 10-12-2001, 02:13 PM

Any opinions of a good value S-VHS VCR out there?

Old 10-12-2001, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed no problems with my composite to SVHS converter. As Brian said, you wont get the SVHS benifet, but it works. My friend has the same problem with his video capture card and he got the RS adapter and it works fine. I was a bit surprised that the card came with SVHS only. Who is the capture card mfg and PC mfg? My friend's PC is an HP Pavillion but I dont know who made the card.

Steve

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.3.0_29
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0972, HR24-200 Running 0802
Old 10-12-2001, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Any one know a website with the Philips VR960 SVHS, I looked on Philips, Circuit City and Best Buy's website and that model isnt listed.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-13-2001, 07:03 PM

Steve, Im in the same exact boat youre in!!

I searched for the last week or so for a good vcr and decided on the PHILIPS VR960BPH S-VHS Video Recorder at www.jandr.com
(http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=Current_Price)
it is only 119.99 (127 shipped)

They also have the JVC HR-S3800 S-VHS VCR Deck A for 119.99 but i heard some bad reviews of the tuner from www.audioreview.com (the best audio/video review site).

I will have the vcr in a few days if you want to wait and see how I like it.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Volodar
Old 10-13-2001, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Volodar. $120 is an excellent price. I paid $200 for my current Philips VRX262 regular VCR, at Circuit City. Ya, When you get it and try it out tell me how ya like it.

Steve

Old 10-14-2001, 04:31 PM

My VCR just pooped out after a power surge and I am looking to buy a replacement with S-VHS and S-VHS ET. I intend to use it for time shifting since I view DVD's for rented discs.

I am willing to spend up to $300, but would prefer spending closer to $200.

Does anyone have any recommendations either for or against any VCR?

I have heard that Mitsubishi is a good brand and it seems to have gotten a lot of good recommendations in various reader review sites.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mitsu makes excellent S-VHS machines, but not all of them will come in under your $300 limit. I also strongly suggest you get a 1st rate surge protector with a connected equipment quarantee, like Panamax or Monster! Any DBS, phone, or cable TV connections need to route thru the protector too. Aloha, aloha, welcome to the forum!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 10-15-2001, 02:11 PM

I've had a lot of luck with my PV-S9670 by Panasonic. It makes a nice little player and I've been able to D/L through my Creative Labs Platinum Pro card with little distortion. ;)

Jason

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
-- Frank Zappa
Old 10-15-2001, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Costco has the JVC-HS29U with is S-Video in/out and records SHVS ET on regular VHS for $119. I replaced an old Toshiba 4 head with this for S-Video in/out. I've use it to copy my older Hi8 camcorder films and DBS. With macro defeated DVD players (Sony and Sampo), I have option of copying DVDs, but don't see the need.

I found the tuner and quality to be far superior to my old VCR. It was worth the price to upgrade to a better VCR and to replace composite with S-Video to projector for VCR and Laser source.

...Steve

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear