Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 09-15-2002, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
right, when that becomes inexpensive I'll get on board with holographic storage, until then gimme optical media (can't be the price advantages...yet)!

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #33 of 41 Old 09-16-2002, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Forceflow
Magnetic media is always present, but it seems the public has fallen in love with optical media. Look at all the attention that the Blue laser DVD gets while D-Theater and D-VHS gets so little.
Personally, it's not optical vs. magnetic, it's random access vs. sequential access.

Plus, AFAIK, you can't even fast forward a D-VHS while watching the (fast-forwarding) program, right?

If there were a video recording format that were magnetic-media-based but NOT tape-based, and were better than optical media, I'd consider it. Videotape just plain stinks. (I don't have any of the removable-media video recorders...yet...)
post #34 of 41 Old 09-16-2002, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattack

Personally, it's not optical vs. magnetic, it's random access vs. sequential access.

I agree.

Ken Elliott
post #35 of 41 Old 09-16-2002, 11:26 PM

The Sony device shown is essentially an optical drive using a Blu-Ray disc in a cartridge, rather than a DVD player/recorder. I think Blu-Ray players will be what D-VHS wants to be, providing staggering quality combined with the random access that consumers prefer. Blu-Ray DVD recorders won't be allowed by the MPAA, or will only accept down-rezzed 'pay-per' content like movies, if current trends are any indication.
post #36 of 41 Old 09-17-2002, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

The reason DVD skyrocketed into acceptance is not just random access, but price. A prerecorded film can be had for $10-$20. For shopper at WalMart this is an impulse item. Plus they've purchased an Apex player for $80. Not a big investment. Then they get all these cool features as well. . .

I wanted a laser disc when they came out. But it really wasn't cost effective. Films cost a small fortune, even to rent. Spent my $1000 on a BetaMax.

My $700 (now $550) Panasonic E20 makes that tape recorder look like a windup phonograph.

As to the MPAA will "never allow. . ." Bull. In four years we become an HDTV nation. A Joe Sixpack, once he upgrades to HDTV, is going to want a way to record. And he won't accept D-Video. Because he'll be off of tape by then. So the MPAA will allow it. They may try to tack on a media tax, but they won't have a choice.

Remember, the other side of the equation will be the digital signal that the cable companies will need to supply. They're going to be forced to by the HDTV mandate, as well. (Did you think they were stringing all that optical cable because they were being nice guys?)

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #37 of 41 Old 09-19-2002, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know what part of the country you live in but here we have an island TV station that has told the Canadian Gov that they ain't switchin', Grand Alliance or no. It would cost $1 Million to switch to HDTV for over the air broadcast. How are they supposed to make their money back when the area they are in is 100,000 people? The station will get turned off before then. Anyway, the FCC reported some months back of 60% non compliance from U.S. stations that are probably in the same boat. And since Joe Six Pack can't see the diff anyway in the pic, unless they get the HDTVs down to Wal-Mart prices, I don't see the sets going anywhere. I personally have no intention of buying one soon to watch the (what) 2 or 3 sat channels offering nothing I want to watch anyway. Make it worth my while and then maybe I'll consider it...
post #38 of 41 Old 09-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

We went through this more than once before. There were these things call UHF channels. And the government mandated that "all new sets would have to be able to receive them". Who was going to buy a new set just to get new channels. Then there's satelitte dishes. The government actually passed a law saying that a landlord can not keep a tennant from erecting a satelitte dish. As long as it was connected to the portion of property the renter leased and didn't make significant structural changes, it is the person's right to have a dish.
HDTV will be here. I won't spend for it right now. But my next TV will certainly be HDTV. And it's going to be widescreen. Cause that's what's going to be sold and broadcast.

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #39 of 41 Old 09-19-2002, 10:26 AM

It'll happen though. I agree that it's total crap all this finger pointing by the stations, saying they won't upgrade because no one is buying HDTV sets. It's gonna take some sort of (lasting) mandate from the FCC. You know, like the one they just pushed back another few years... *ugh*

I hope the digital satellite companies use this to their advantage and start pumping out more HD channels. It's not like they have to worry about demogrpahics or coverage nearly as much as terrestrial stations.

Personally, I want an HDTV set to use as a 55" 1920x1080 monitor. *drool* A few of them are starting to ship with VGA or DVI connections. If I can start getting channels on it too, cool.

-AmoebaMan
post #40 of 41 Old 09-19-2002, 07:11 PM

I still to this date feel that LaserDisc never took off, because the common guy on the street never knew that LD and RCA Selectivision weren't the same technology.

Personally, I have never felt that Magnetic media was a seemingly permanent entity. I have seen far too many tapes go south. Yes, I know about all the problems of Optical, but there is a certain substance that goes with LD, DVD and even for that matter LP records that never was the case for me with prerecorded tapes of any form.

I have a Toshiba HD-DVD player and the Samsung Blu-Ray player. The winner of the format war is Me!
post #41 of 41 Old 09-20-2002, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally posted by hroeder
As to the MPAA will "never allow. . ." Bull. In four years we become an HDTV nation. A Joe Sixpack, once he upgrades to HDTV, is going to want a way to record. And he won't accept D-Video. Because he'll be off of tape by then. So the MPAA will allow it. They may try to tack on a media tax, but they won't have a choice.
Don't kid yourself--if we manage to convert by 2006, as some members of congress would like (so that the government can auction off the analog spectrum for beaucoup bucks), it will be using inexpensive DTV-to-analog converters, and cable STBs with downconverted analog outputs. There's no way that any really significant portion of the populace is going to throw out their analog sets to buy ones with digital tuners. Joe Average is going to be watching converted DTV through composite and S-video outs, which he can continue to connect to his PVR or VCR.

Some 2 million non-HD-capable analog sets are sold every month in the US (as compared to 3 million HD- and ED-capable sets sold in 4 years). Do you think that all the people who bought expensive big screens this month are going to want to replace them 4 years down the road?

I'd imagine that the great majority of "HD Capable" sets sold were 4:3 ED big screens with component video ins, but without the real resolution to image any of the HD formats. Joe Average won't know what he's missing in HD programming or care.

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page