vhs to dvd on the e30 or hs2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-18-2002, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to get a DVD recorder - either the DMR-E30 or dmr-hs2, but am concerned that I won't be able to copy my vhs tapes to dvd without some kind of added equipment. Since I'm new to this, can anyone help? I have what seems like a thousand kid videos and they still watch them all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-18-2002, 11:02 AM

If they have macrovision on them, you'd need something extra in between the VCR & DVD Recorder to remove that. If it's tapes you made or taped off TV or macrovision-less, then all you need to do is hook up the video out on the VCR to the video in on the dvd recorder.

:)
post #3 of 14 Old 09-18-2002, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. So it's probably pretty safe to say that the Disney videos my kids watch cannot be copied without a "middle man" device?
post #4 of 14 Old 09-18-2002, 12:19 PM

Right, those would have protection. :(

:)
post #5 of 14 Old 09-18-2002, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by newtodvd
Thanks. So it's probably pretty safe to say that the Disney videos my kids watch cannot be copied without a "middle man" device?
You do realize there's a lot of Disney stuff already on DVD, right?
post #6 of 14 Old 09-19-2002, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Well, yeah, but I don't want to have to pay Eisner 20 bucks each to replace about 30 videos. I already paid for all of them, and I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to copy them onto something more durable than videotape.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-19-2002, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
so you'd rather have pan-and-scan, lo-res version for $10 plus the time and hassles of copying them, plus another $30 for the "middle-man" Macrovi$ion remover? Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'd rather spend $15 to get an original copy of Monster Inc (for example), in widescreen and hi-res to boot!

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #8 of 14 Old 09-19-2002, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
lo-res version for $10
If you are referring to DVD-R media, it can be obtained for a lot less than $10 a pop. Reliable DVD-R media can be had for less than a $1 per disk now. Plus, I'm not sure the kids care about high res or widescreen for that matter. With the kids videos, you can always crank out another dvd from the source tape if the working copy somehow gets damaged.

In general, though, I agree that it is generally not worth the effort in both time and money to duplicate archival retail programs from VHS to DVD. With DVD prices hovering less than $15 for new releases, plus all the extras you get on DVD, if you really want something for keeps, you are just better off buying the original DVD.

I think kid videos are a different matter. You just want something that will play back reliably to keep them happy and DVDs take up a lot less space around the entertainment center. So you are really comparing apples and oranges here (personal movie collection vs. kid videos).

Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #9 of 14 Old 09-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"In general, though, I agree that it is generally not worth the effort in both time and money to duplicate archival retail programs from VHS to DVD. With DVD prices hovering less than $15 for new releases, plus all the extras you get on DVD, if you really want something for keeps, you are just better off buying the original DVD"

I hope that my "in general" list of 500+ films not coming out on DVD anytime soon does get proven wrong. Very few of the titles I have on the list have been released in the past 2 years with quite a few on the "not anytime soon" list. That's why I'm getting an HS2 (plus I finally can take the time to archive part of the 5,000 tapes in my "recorded from TV" collection...

Doug O
post #10 of 14 Old 09-20-2002, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Obviously, if a title is not available on DVD, then it would make sense to archive the VHS version to DVD-R for posterity and to get the benefits of DVD medium (small form factor, longevity, non-linear access via chapter stops, and possibly some picture quality improvement in the transfer process). The time invested depends on how cute you want to be (i.e., fancy menus and custom chapter stops will take significant time and effort per title versus simply dubbing VHS straight to DVD-R). My point was that if a retail DVD exists for a given VHS title, you might want to seriously consider getting the DVD because of all the benefits of the retail DVD (extras, resolution, aspect ratio etc...) versus what you could home brew with PC even if you took the time to do some fancy authoring. It all depends on how much of a movie freak someone is (whether the DVD extras matter) and how much free time they have on their hands to do the transfers and, if desired, the time consuming DVD authoring step.

To each, his own.

Vic

post #11 of 14 Old 09-20-2002, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"Reliable DVD-R media can be had for less than a $1 per disk now"

Is there a particular place you go to get your DVD-R media that inexpensively?
post #12 of 14 Old 09-20-2002, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Search this forum for "AtDiscount", 100 pk of Vivastar DVD-R's for $0.89 per disk + shipping. I think you get $5 off if you put put AVSFORUM or something like that in the comments box on the ordering form (do a search to find the exact info). These disks have been reliable for me in both the Pansonic E20 DVD Recorder and in my Pioneer A03 PC DVD-R/RW burner.

Vic

post #13 of 14 Old 09-21-2002, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It's not the extras, it's the video quality. The quality of VHS-->DVD copies is fine for 5 year old kids, but I do this only rarely for myself, since in comparison to DVD, VHS video quality is utter garbage. (ie. I will copy VHS home videos, or rare VHS tapes, etc. to DVD.)
post #14 of 14 Old 09-22-2002, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not the extras, it's the video quality.
Tastes Great! ... Less Filling!

The motivations for purchasing a retail DVD vs. home copying a retail VHS to DVD are varied (quality, extras, format availability, storage considerations, non-linear navigation, backup archive, disposable media, intended audience, effort involved, cost, etc...), and I think that was the point of my previous posts (i.e., there is no one, right answer). Bottom line, everyone needs (and has the right) to decide for themselves what approach makes the most sense for their particular situation rather than be judged by forum members about the subjective merits of their decision (e.g., "so you'd rather have pan-and-scan, lo-res version for $10...").

Vic

Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page