DVD 963 SA Arrived Today - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1839 Old 11-09-2002, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Leo,

If you use the *Component* outputs, you'll get 480p or 480i, even with PAL DVDs (unless you enable PAL progressive and set it to unprocessed. But even so you can always set it to 480p again).

If you use *Composite* or *S-Video*, no, it does NOT convert PAL to NTSC on those outputs..

Best regards,

Afonso.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1839 Old 11-09-2002, 04:59 PM

Hello,

Anyone else order the 963sa from Soundform in Denmark ? What was the ordering procedure ?

After an e-mailing quoteing me a price and shipping and that I could pay with PayPal,...I authorized payment (to the english language sales e-mail addrss).

Since then I've received no notice or confirmation that my order was received (I e-mailed as well as sending the PayPal),...and I noticed today that they hadn't claimed the PayPal funds.

Being unsure of the situation/status of order or if I'd ordered according to the correct procedures, I decided to cancel the PayPal payment.

What Soundform e-mail address did you send payment to ? Have you had recent (last 2 or 3 days) e-mail contact from them ?

Thanks, Martin
post #183 of 1839 Old 11-09-2002, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

monk,

within EU - at least between certain countries - it's possible to ship the player Cash On Delivery (C.O.D.). The player arrives in the local post office and one pays the sum there. COD works from Holland (Soundform is not in Denmark) to Finland, so that's the method I chose to use, as I don't have a PayPal account - and have no plans to acquire one.

I swap e-mails with Soundform daily, usually 2-3 mails per day, to the sales@soundform.nl address. They had a glitch in the e-mail system earlier today and all e-mails bounced back, but it seems to be working OK now.

As far as I know, Soundform is practically drowning in orders for the 963SA, so some delays shouldn't be unexpected.

.petri.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #184 of 1839 Old 11-09-2002, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any review out yet on the 963.. or even coming soon??

Birgir "keyser"
post #185 of 1839 Old 11-09-2002, 05:30 PM

Petri, ..thanks for the feedback. I'll just write to them again and see how it goes, hopefully they won't burn through all current stock ...

I'll guess that they are just swamped with orders/e-mails, ...but I decided to cancel the PayPal (until a seller accepts the PayPal it's a simple matter of cancelling the PayPal online ; after a seller accepts the funds, the funds can not be taken back ..., none of the usual Credit Card protections). It only takes a minute to resend the funds . I was just not comfortable with the authorized payment sitting their unclaimed and not having heard any kind of confirmation of order.

Do Soundform have a website ? Anyone know much about the store, for example are they a single/small store ? a large chain in Holland ?

Thanks, M.

Martin
post #186 of 1839 Old 11-09-2002, 08:38 PM

Monk,
I copied my last e-mail I got from soundform to you. As you can see there is a speciel e-mail to use for paypal payments... Also there seems to be new players coming in on Wednesday.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Peter,

You just need to put the DVD Player model in the information, along
with your name and address. Our PayPal e-mail address is

paypal@soundform.nl
---
Best regards,

Soundform Sales.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I still haven't decided to do yet for myself. As you are, I am somewhat concerned to buy from Soundform (as far as I understand they have no website...) and I'm hoping that our friends of this forum that have ordered, soon will be able to give us feed-back that everything is working smoothly regarding their orders.

Peter:confused:
post #187 of 1839 Old 11-09-2002, 09:56 PM

Hello,

PAL is 576P while NTSC is 480P. When 963SA concerts PAL to NTSC progressive, what happens to those 576-480=96 lines?

Thanks.

P.S. I was a Q50 user and now a 962SA user and will own a 963SA in the near future :>
post #188 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 02:31 AM

Petri,
I remember you posted some pics of the Nintaus 9769 once upon a time. Can you post some pics of the 963sa when you get it?
I think I am going to wait until I can buy the 963 locally.
I can't wait to throw the 9769 in the trash.
Cheers, William
post #189 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 03:22 AM

Monk, Pesa:

Since I'm the one who recommended the shop in the first place, I tried to found out what happened... I don't want to see you guys hanging in the dry.

Monk, they did send you an e-mail on Friday saying they were out of stock and asking you to cancel the PayPal payment since it went to the wrong address. Unfortunately it seems something happened to the e-mail in transit. As Petri said, they had e-mail problems. They sent a new e-mail today, if you don't / didn't receive it, PM me and I'll send it to you myself.

Pesa, regarding their website, they do have a simple one now - www.soundform.nl. Please bear in mind that this is a very young company...

In any case, Petri, Jorma and Andy will receive their players tomorrow and / or during next week, so they'll be able to attest the service.

Best regards,

Afonso.
post #190 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

WSquared,

I'll have some pics on the web the day I get the player, rest assured :)

.petri.

post #191 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 07:47 AM
ZR

Dear Music,

All the lines in the PAL frame will be put thru a "multi-tap" filter to reconstruct the new NTSC frame. Therefore no lines are actually dropped, they have just been sqeezed ; )
post #192 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

How many lines of picture info does a DVD player really output with a good quality pal DVD disk. DVD players don´t output 576 lines do they??

I remember that the resolution specs for the older dvd players were less than the newer ones, but I can´t remember the numbers.

Birgir "keyser"
post #193 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 12:03 PM

afonso,
Thank's for the info. I have decided to take the leap of faith and order from them. I'll let you know how it works out.

Peter
post #194 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 09:16 PM

I heard today that the 963SA has landed in New Zealand.

I will get my hands on one tomorrow and I am very keen to try out PAL progressive on my HDTV (Panasonic TX47-P500h) which accepts 576p and 480p via component.

Does anyone know if the PAL progressive hacks and region free hacks for the European model are suitable for the Asia Pacific model? I presume this is the same model sold by Hivzone in Hong Kong, as our TV system is also PAL.
post #195 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 11:36 PM
ZR

It is indeed the same model. For AP version, code is as follows:

"Play", "159 222 023 00", " play"

Remember, this will defeat your multi-region code.
post #196 of 1839 Old 11-10-2002, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the reply

So once I use the code to enable PAL progressive what code do I need to enter to make it region free again if the original region is 4?
post #197 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 01:08 AM

Heya Guys

I just received my tracking info. from Soundform, and I'm expecting the package Tuesday or Wednesday.

I should be hooking this up to a brand new Panasonic AE-300 projector, so will be sure to report back :)

______
-Andy

Home Cinema: Philips 963SA, Panasonic AE-300, Denon AVC-A10SE, AudioLab 8000PX, Velodyne CHT-15, Tannoy R3, Tannoy M1, Tannoy MXC
Bedroom: Marantz CD63 MkII KI, NAD 3020e, Mission M51
post #198 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, my 963SA didn't arrive today, which is no big surprise as it was only shipped on Thursday... :(

.petri.

post #199 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Bummer, hope you get it soon, i am really interested in your opinions,
since you also, like me, used the 962sa.

Greetz M.
post #200 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pteittinen
Well, my 963SA didn't arrive today, which is no big surprise as it was only shipped on Thursday... :(

.petri.
Mine have arrived to the Country (according the tracking number i got) this morning and is under process in the Custom Dept. I dont think they'll deliver it to me today... I ordered it to my work address so they should deliver it faster ;)
post #201 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

What can I say... just another example of my typical luck.

.p.

post #202 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 05:17 AM

Question about scart v.s. yuv.

The manual of my (dutch) dvd963sa states that if possible, one should
alway use scart, because that'll give the best picture.
Is that true? or is yuv better? or is it the same? I'm lost here.

Thanks in advance,

Janis
post #203 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 05:41 AM

someone knows where I could find an adaptator with :
3 female rca inputs for yuv
5 rca female outputs (yuv + sh + sv) - no sub plug, please.
I would try the hdtv position on my 10ht with 963, by extracting the synchro, but not using only the green sync as it is yet.
Cheers,
Paulz
post #204 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 05:46 AM

Janis,

That question has been amply discussed. Here is my *personal* take on it:

Scart RGB is, potentially, closer to both the source (the output of the MPEG decoder is RGB) and the display (what you see on the display is RGB). However, it has caveats:

1. SCART is probably the worst connection ever invented. Keeping a true 75 ohm impedance matching on both connector and cabling is almost impossible; the pins don't make proper contact in most of the times. SCART is a good example of convenience over quality and good engineering.

2. RGB takes a lot of bandwidth. This, along with the fact that SCART connectors and cabling are poor and not properly matched makes it almost impossible not to loose a LOT of signal in the path.

3. A lot of modern DVD players, and, above all, displays are designed in a way they, in some point, do a RGB<->YUV conversion, mainly because in the US SCART does not exist. So it's quite possible that even if you are feeding your TV RGB, it is being translated into YUV and then back into RGB.

4. SCART RGB is always interlaced. So it makes the deinterlacer useless.

YPrPb, on the other hand uses Phono or, better yet, BNC connectors. They provide much better impedance matching, and, better yet, they allow you to use true 75 ohm coax cabling. The provide better contact. And usually both on the player and on the display side, everything is gold plated, avoiding oxidation. It also requires much less bandwidth, and, hence, it's less prone to loss anyway.

Internally, I have no doubts that RGB is a better way to transmit a signal. However, the moment you want to get it out of the player, YPrPb is a much more adequate means of transmitting it.

As an Electronics Engineer, I have no doubts that YPrPb is a much better designed standard. I can fully understand why the US has never adopted SCART and has, instead, adopted YPrPb.

Also, if SCART RGB is better, what's the point of including DCDi and DCC (both of which only work with YPrPb) and making such a fuss about it?

Knowing some people at Philips, I guess that there may have been one very simple reason for that statement: that it is a "legacy" statement, something that was put in when Philips DVD Players didn't have YPrPb outputs, so they were comparing with S-Video and Composite.

Best regards,

Afonso.
post #205 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 05:51 AM

Paulz,

You cannot separate YPrPb into YPrPb + HS + VS. That doesn't make any sense since the YPrPb format includes sync, period.

However, you CAN convert YPrPb into RGB + HS + VS. Your 10HT should be able to process that natively, which is good. However, I fail to understand why you'd want that. :)

I any case, those adapters exist, but they are expensive - between 200 Euros and 350 Euros depending on the brand. If you're still interested, PM me and I can tell you were to get them...

Best regards,

Afonso.
post #206 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 06:03 AM

Would the picture quality of this player be noticeably better on an interlaced setup, compared to say any of the Pioneer players? or would it only be noticeably superior when feeding a progressive scan signal?

What is its interlaced performance like?
post #207 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 06:05 AM

Ainfante, first : thank you very much
second : I just remember that, on Native rate series modules (faroudja) also using the same or nearest FLI2310 chip, the signal is outputted by using 5 plugs... & on my 10ht, near the red, green & blue plugs are plugs for h & v sync... so I was thinking to myself that could perhaps have any action on picture quality ?
Of course, I'm not sure at all, but...
post #208 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 06:10 AM

Paulz,

The Faroudja FLI series inputs and processes RGB internally. So the modules you're talking about output RGB + H + V, not YPrPb... :) Unfortunately the 963SA does not have RGB+H+V outputs... :(

Best regards,

Afonso.
post #209 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 06:13 AM

ainfante:
RGB through SCART can be progressive. Didn't believe it at first myself but have heard this from a CRT-projector guy.
post #210 of 1839 Old 11-11-2002, 06:17 AM

Zippo,

I was talking specifically about the 963SA... :) RGB through SCART is interlaced only with the 963SA.

Progressive RGB through SCART is obviously possible. Technically, at least. But it is non-standard and therefore rarely implemented.

Best regards,

Afonso.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page